Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you completed? (2017 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It was a decent game. The initial impression of the first few hours were good.
    It bleeds of Ubisoft repetition however from what I remember (pointless collectibles ect).

Towards the end I was just bating through to be done with it.

I could see that issue, though until a year back I was basically out of playing games for the guts of a decade, so the only Ubisoft games I think I had played were the 2013 Tomb Raider and a good bit before on a room mates PS4, Mad Max. I've actually avoided the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed title for that same reason - plan on giving Black Flag and Far Cry Primal a go, but not for a fair while because I can definitely see how all that carry on gets repetitive pretty quickly!

• Billy86 wrote: »
    I could see that issue, though until a year back I was basically out of playing games for the guts of a decade, so the only Ubisoft games I think I had played were the 2013 Tomb Raider and a good bit before on a room mates PS4, Mad Max. I've actually avoided the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed title for that same reason - plan on giving Black Flag and Far Cry Primal a go, but not for a fair while because I can definitely see how all that carry on gets repetitive pretty quickly!

If you are returning to gaming those choice aren't exactly expansive. They are pretty much all Ubisoft titles and carry all the similar tropes of nonsense collectibles and pure filler.

Time wasters but for me personally it should be about fun factor.

If you have the PS4 here's the wanted list with games that are actually fun and challenging / rewarding!

Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, TLOU Remaster, Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy, Resident Evil 7, Bloodbourne

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If you are returning to gaming those choice aren't exactly expansive. They are pretty much all Ubisoft titles and carry all the similar tropes of nonsense collectibles and pure filler.

Time wasters but for me personally it should be about fun factor.

If you have the PS4 here's the wanted list with games that are actually fun and challenging / rewarding!

Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, TLOU Remaster, Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy, Resident Evil 7, Bloodbourne
    I'm on PC so Bloodborne, Uncharted and Horizon ZD are out of reach for me, shame since HZD especially really, really looks fun! Same with The Last Guardian. I'm in a fairly handy spot still though, there are so many great AAA titles that I'm just picking up what I want when it's dirt cheap and can pick and choose what to play at any given time since GTAV, Fallout 4, Mad Max and Star Wars Battlefront were basically the only games I had played from around 2007-2016! :D

I've done quite a bit of catching up but there's so much to get through I reckon I'm in a sweet spot for at least another year to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Far Cry 2. That's literally it though I have a habit of having multiple Total War campaigns on the go.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Battletoads Arcade - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Wii U
    Mafia 3 - PS4
    Journey - PS4
    Sniper Elite 3 - PS4
    Call of duty Infinite Warfare - PS4
    Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4
    Wolfenstein The Old Blood - PS4
    Titanfall 2 - PS4
    Tomb Raider Anniversary - Xbox 360
    Pes 2017 - PS4
    Just Cause 3 - PS4
    The Last Guardian - PS4
    The Town Of Light - PS4
    Tales from the Borderlands - PS4
    Crash Bandicoot - PS4
    Resident evil 7 - PS4

Ryse Son of Rome - Xbox 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

2017 so far:
    PS4|Comment
    Dishonored: Mark of the Outsider|bit of good fun
    Darksiders|Aug - Mask of shadows game bug...
    Horizon Zero Dawn|Good fun but a bit repetitive at times
    Titanfall 2|not online
    Alienation|again offline
    Battlefield 1|Very well done but too short
    Dishonored 2|Emily High Chaos Apr
    Fallout 4|Nuclear option level 42 Mar
    Dishonored 2|Corvo Low Chaos Jan
    The Last Guardian|Controls sucked Jan

PS Vita|Comment
    Neon Chrome|good fun
    Letter Quest Remastered|
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night|Enjoyed this, no idea why I never finished it before
    Severed|1st platinum ever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[PC]

Psychonauts:

Brilliant game, really enjoyed it. The difference of each game world was amazing. Can't believe I never played this before such a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

How d'you get on with Meat Circus in the end?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    How d'you get on with Meat Circus in the end?

The boss' at the end weren't too bad but it seemed like there was another after another. The worst part was catching the rabbit and the saving the fat kid from being killed. There was a few bugs throughout the whole game where by you would jump and he was supposed to grab on to the bar or rope etc... and he would just jump straight through and fall and it seemed to happen at the worst time.

But overall it was a very fun game and I'm surprised there was never a sequel. I know there is supposed to be one gone to crowd funding but how many years after original release is that.

[PC]

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

If you get easily frustrated this game is not for you. Man it is so unforgiving, you get through a whole level and just at the end you die and have to do it all over again. It would be a lot easier if you replayed the game as you know what to do. As the challenges aren't too difficult but you just have to play through and figure them out and the only way by doing that is dying and go back and trying again.

Overall it is a fun game. I have the whole collection but I think I it will be quite some time before I try those out as it is very frustrating at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

ADDING:-
    Super Castlevania IV || Super Nintendo

I know I said I was taking a break from finishing some games but I actually forgot about my SNES Mini pre-order so when I got it, the first game I dove into was one I have been meaning to get for a few years now, and I'm delighted to say I finally beat Castlevania 4. Out of all the Castlevania games that came out on the NES and SNES, this is the one that grabbed my attention the most from a visual and gameplay perspective. Great piece of retro goodness here.
    J1Vj6SGm.jpg

ALSO ADDING:-
    Super Mario World || Super Nintendo

Another one to add and also my first Mario game beat. Loved this from start to finish and I can ultimately see why people argue this is the best one.
    r9i0eUCm.jpg
    C6undVEm.jpg

OTHER GAMES COMPLETED THIS YEAR
    Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
    Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Hitman
    Unravel
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix
    Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
    Gears of War 2
    Gears of War 3
    FIFA 17: The Journey
    Grand Theft Auto V
    Crash Bandicoot (N. Sane Trilogy)
    Toybox Turbos
    Tekken
    Tekken 2
    Tekken 3
    Little Nightmares
    Tekken 7
    Driver
    Sonic Mania
    Bioshock
    Bioshock 2
    Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den
    Bioshock: Infinite
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Canis Canem Edit (Bully)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

ADDING:-
    Mega Man X || Super Nintendo

Took my time with this one and managed to get all the items/upgrades/weapons (even the hadouken that I never actually bothered to use) before finishing the final stages. This is proper incentive for me to actually turn on the MegaMan Legacy Collection on my PS4 when I go back to it. I absolutely get why these games are so popular.

OTHER GAMES COMPLETED THIS YEAR
    Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
    Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Hitman
    Unravel
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix
    Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
    Gears of War 2
    Gears of War 3
    FIFA 17: The Journey
    Grand Theft Auto V
    Crash Bandicoot (N. Sane Trilogy)
    Toybox Turbos
    Tekken
    Tekken 2
    Tekken 3
    Little Nightmares
    Tekken 7
    Driver
    Sonic Mania
    Bioshock
    Bioshock 2
    Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den
    Bioshock: Infinite
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Canis Canem Edit (Bully)
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario World

Super Mario World || Super Nintendo

Another one to add and also my first Mario game beat. Loved this from start to finish and I can ultimately see why people argue this is the best one.
    r9i0eUCm.jpg

That takes me back. Haven't played it in years though. (well properly tried the first few levels on a emulator)

I remember my cousin pouring coke down the cartridge slot on my snes while it was turned on. That was the end of that. It's not like now where I could just go out and buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That takes me back. Haven't played it in years though. (well properly tried the first few levels on a emulator)

I remember my cousin pouring coke down the cartridge slot on my snes while it was turned on. That was the end of that. It's not like now where I could just go out and buy another.
    Intentionally? The Console Wars in the '90s were intense!

Intentionally?

I'm not sure....

• 2017 Completion:
    RE7 - X1
    RE2 - Gamecube
    RE3- Gamecube
    Def Jam: FFNY Gamecube
    Killer 7 Gamecube
    Metroid Zero Mission - Gameboy Advance
    LOTR Return of the King - Gamecube
    Super Street Fighter Alpha 2 - SNES
    Super Mario 3 - Nes Mini
    Super Mario 3D Land - Wii U
    Devils Third - Wii U
    Bayonetta 2 - Wii U
    Hyrule Warriors - Wii U
    Zombi U - Wii U
    Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition - X1
    GTA San Andreas (x360 version)
    Scarface: The World is Yous - Xbox
    Urban Chaos Right Response - Xbox
    Bodycount - x360
    James Bond 007: Bloodstone x360
    Syndicate x360
    Painkiller x360
    Super Mario 3D World -3DS
    Max Payne - PS4 version
    Super Mario World - SNES Mini
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remasterd
    Zelda BOTW Switch
    Destiny 2 X1

Feel like I'm missing a few. Will update later.

Hard to believe it's October already. The backlog isn't getting any shorter however....

Adding:
    Destiny 2 X1 Light level 283 or something. Yea I'm done here.
    Zelda BOTW Switch - Finally. GOTY so far for me. Those last few hours were amazing.
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered X1- Supised how well the Campaign holds up. Enjoyed my revisit here.

Currently Playing:
    Metroid Prime - Need all the artifacts scanned before I can get to the end. Doing that tonight.
    Metroid Samus Returns: Loving it so far. About 2 hours in.
    Super Castlevania SNES Mini - Enjoying it so far, on 5th level.
    Megaman X SNES Mini - **** this game is hard
    super Punch Out SNES Mini - One of the most underrated games on the SNES Mini IMO!
    GTA Chinatown Wars - DS - Somehting I missed out on. Controls a little fiddly but sitll enjoyable so far.

[PC]

Snake Pass

Brilliant game. No story but it is more about the mechanics. Trying to get all the collectibles in the last two levels was a challenge. But I got there in the end. Looking back at the early levels which were so basic(well kinda, they were still good levels) but it is a learning curve to learn to control the snake properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Finished Mad Max recently, enjoyed the main premise of the game and it's open world. Lot of aspects of the game are a grind though, and a lot of character and vehicle upgrades are achieved by partaking in the grind, which isn't a good thing as the tasks are repetitive.

It has Arkham combat, which I don't actually mind personally (whereas it seems to give other people nosebleeds), but once you batter the first 100 Warboys, Roadkill, and Buzzards, the next 900 are just a chore and a bore. Car combat was fabulous though; I feel that if they put the same mechanics into another game and designed linear levels around the idea of testing a players skills using the vehicles and their weaponry, you'd have a multiplayer game with a lot of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finished Batman Arkham Origins on the PS3. Enjoyed it though not as much as the Rocksteady games. Had a great story I liked the dark feel it had. Some cool Boss fights. Combat was more punishing. Froze a number of times and it needed to be rebooted. I hope they develop another Arkham game (Rocksteady not WB).

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Battletoads Arcade - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Wii U
    Mafia 3 - PS4
    Journey - PS4
    Sniper Elite 3 - PS4
    Call of duty Infinite Warfare - PS4
    Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4
    Wolfenstein The Old Blood - PS4
    Titanfall 2 - PS4
    Tomb Raider Anniversary - Xbox 360
    Pes 2017 - PS4
    Just Cause 3 - PS4
    The Last Guardian - PS4
    The Town Of Light - PS4
    Tales from the Borderlands - PS4
    Crash Bandicoot - PS4
    Resident evil 7 - PS4
    Ryse Son of Rome - Xbox 1

Rainbow Six Siege - Xbox 1

• Advertisement

[PC]

Submerged

It is a very good looking game but really short. I have the game completed and about 55% of all collectibles and steam says I was playing for 2.5 hours. I may go back and find all collectibles eventually. You just drive around in a boat and climb buildings. I would be well pissed if I paid steams full price of €19.99 for it though I paid €1.99 in the sale last week so well worth it at that price.

Wrapped up the last few achievements for Human Fall Flat (PC) today. I really enjoyed the game; devoid of story, but good physics based platforming with interesting levels throughout. The progression worked well, teaching you advanced techniques as you go deeper into the game. By the time I'd finished the game I was able to look at earlier levels differently, picking out shortcuts and alternative paths I had missed the first time.

I find some games based around physics can be hit or miss when it comes to controls. You can end up wrestling with the controls for the whole game (**** you, Octodad, you're not my real dad), but Human Fall Flat had just the right balance between being controllable and being able to game the physics in fun ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

2017 so far:
    PS4|Comment
    Darksiders 2| incl 3 side missions, oct
    Dishonored: Mark of the Outsider|bit of good fun
    Darksiders|Aug - Mask of shadows game bug...
    Horizon Zero Dawn|Good fun but a bit repetitive at times
    Titanfall 2|not online
    Alienation|again offline
    Battlefield 1|Very well done but too short
    Dishonored 2|Emily High Chaos Apr
    Fallout 4|Nuclear option level 42 Mar
    Dishonored 2|Corvo Low Chaos Jan
    The Last Guardian|Controls sucked Jan

PS Vita|Comment
    Neon Chrome|good fun
    Letter Quest Remastered|
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night|Enjoyed this, no idea why I never finished it before
    Severed|1st platinum ever

Stories Untold (PC). A quick one start to finish. I found the story and the way it was told really compelling. I hadn't heard anything about the game before I played it, and I'm glad I went in blind. Well worth playing, especially in the lead up to Halloween (it's a little spooky in places). It was part of Humble Monthly in September, so it may already be on your backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PrimeVinister

Resident Evil: Biohazard
    Sniper Elite 4
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    Prey
    Cuphead
    Rime
    The Evil Within 2
    Halo Wars 2

I probably missed a few but I think I had an OK 2017. Plenty of games that I never finished for various reasons though

How were Prey and Rime? Both are very much on my shortlist, Rime especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PrimeVinister

But if I had to pick one, I would say Prey.

Rime gets a little repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

1. Gunman Clive (Wii U)
    2. Cthulhu Saves the World (PC)
    3. To The Moon (PC)
    4. Super Meat Boy (PC)
    5. Twinkle Star Sprites (PC)
    6. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
    7. Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo (PC)
    8. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC)
    9. Super House of Dead Ninjas (PC)
    10. Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy (PC)
    11. Telltale Presents: The Walking Dead: Season 1 (PC)
    12. Telltale Presents: The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)
    13. Telltale Presents: The Walking Dead: Season 2 (PC)
    14. Gunman Clive II (Wii U)
    15. Hotline Miami (PC)

Didn't think I'd like Hotline Miami but quickly got into and don't recall many things I've played outside of maybe Isaac and Meat Boy that grinds you down but just pulls you in for another whirl. Got so into it that I didn't even mind the game repeatedly trolls you with a "chapter complete" cue only for it to kill you when it's gotten your guard down. Getting smacked in the face with a van is probably a good hint you shouldn't get too chill.

Gunman Clive II is a pretty solid follow-up to the first one, but it leans a bit too much on the gimmicky bits and some AI behaviour is just randomized that you'd be hard pressed to say you were wholly responsible for your last death. Still recommend the pair of them should you have ever wondered what'd happen if you cross Megaman with cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

So far this year i have...

Half life 2: Episode 2 (PC) probably as good as Ep1, nice variety. I wasn't a big fan of the ending where you had to drive over and back the whole time for the bombs.
    Pokemon Pearl (DS) It's pokemon, sure.
    Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii) It's good when linked to the DS, otherwise sorta pointless.
    Life is Strange (PC) Outstanding game. I thought the quality of episode 5 was a bit lacking compared to 1-4 but overall just an incredable experience and i'll certainly be keeping an eye on Dontnod.
    Final Fantasy IX (PC) Great game even if the PC version seems to have a little bit of slowdown. a masterpiece.
    Mars: War Logs (PC) I liked it, then i hated it, then i liked it again. I should hate this game because it's buggy and unpolished, with the dev's ambitions outstripping their talents/budget but there's something charming about it & i couldn't stop thinking back to it. It has a fantastic world and you can tell Spiders put their heart and soul into it.
    Quantum Break (XBOX ONE) Great story and i loved playing around with all the time powers during gunfights. I felt that the show portions, while decent, were unnecessary and a step too detached from the narrative due to mostly focusing on side characters.
    Halo 5: Guardians (XBOX ONE) It's short, has a confusing story where nothing really happens until the last cut-scene and you almost never play as the Master Chief. I think it's fair to say that the series is losing it's identity. It just doesn't feel like Halo any more.
    Skillgirls (PC) Great fighter, with a unique visual style. We need more of this.
    Party Hard (PC) Very hard game but when i fail a level, it's because i screwed up, difficult but fair and rewards patience. designated dance button too!
    Painkiller: Battle out of Hell (PC) More of the same, which is a good thing. The story is awful but with gameplay this good, i don't really care.
    Star Wars Rebellion (PC) Great example of grand strategy and the biggest influence of the same named board game from 2016. Still the best attempt at strategy that that has the Star Wars name.
    Transformers: Devastation (XBOX 360) Fantastic combat and great character models, i found this game let down by terrible level design and poor environments.
    Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PC) Still a great tycoon game. it's a bit easy to get to that 5 star rating but the missions add an action element to it as well as the work up to unlock site B.
    SEGA Bass Fishing (Dreamcast) A surprisingly good game, even without the fishing controller. It's a bit easy what with the unlimited continues but what hare, great fun.
    Heroes of might & Magic III: The restoration of Erathia (PC) A very good campaign and great individual scenarios. I haven't tried the multiplayer but with turn times getting longer as the scenario goes on, i can't imagine it's that good.
    Heroes of Might & Magic III: Shadow of Death (PC) This expansion is actually a prequel. I honestly nearly gave up. The first few campaigns are all about key & quest hunts which get grating. It's also far too over-designed with almost every map being it's own puzzle.

• Advertisement

Finally completed Miasmata (PC). Not a particularly long game, but it had been sitting in my backlog since I bought it in September 2013 :eek:

It felt a little dated, and a few of the mechanics were obtuse, but I let that slide as it was made by just two guys (brothers Joe and Bob Johnson). I enjoyed the exploration, piecing together both the story and the map.

Advertisement