Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you completed? (2017 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU) -
    After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - Another incredible installment in the greatest action-adventure video game series ever. As cinematic as its predecessors, the set-pieces are bigger and better than 1 and 2, and the score is absolutely brilliant. The game isn't perfect, with quite a few (small) glitches (the cover system lets the game down as it did with its predecessor), but the experience makes up for all that. I'm looking forward to playing the fourth and final installment, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the wonderful characters Naughty Dog have created. A great game. 9/10.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - And so with Uncharted 4: A Thief's End comes the final chapter in gaming's greatest adventure series. And what a send-off it is! Graphically the best looking game I've ever played, it sees the characters we have grown to love explore an emotional depth not present in many other video games. The action set-pieces are bigger and better than ever before, and the game gives any Hollywood blockbuster a run for its money. The game is structured perfectly, starting with a bang and ending with one of the most satisfying pay-offs I've ever seen. Simply put, Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is what a perfect video game looks like. 10/10.

DOOM (PS4) - non-stop, heart-poundingly intense action from one of gaming's most legendary franchises. There is no stopping and getting into cover in this absolute onslaught of action, which is what sets DOOM apart from its contemporaries. Some may grow tired of the linear gameplay, but I just wanted more and more. An incredible achievement. 9.5/10.

Battletoads Arcade (part of Rare Replay, Xbox One) - This was a brilliant button bashing side-scrolling beat-'em-up like Streets of Rage, but with a surprising amount of variety in its short campaign. Lovely sprites and colourful characters made it a genuinely fun experience, cheers to fellow boardsie dagamer for helping me finish it. 8/10.

Adding:

Camp Sunshine (PC) - very atmospheric and genuinely spooky indie horror homage to SNES RPGs and the slasher movie genre, particularly the Friday the 13th franchise. Colourful and very intense, it was a lot of fun and lasts just under the three hour mark. A handful of annoying puzzles kept the game from being thoroughly enjoyable but overall it worked well. 7.5 out of 10.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sniper elite 4 -ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Redo91 wrote: »
    Good to hear ME is so short. I thought it would be more around the 30-40 hour mark. Like yourself haven't played any of the ME series yet but wouldn't mind giving them a go with Andromeda coming out soon. Have such a back log as it is I was going to give them a miss but if they're that short I might pick them up on the store.

The games can be as long as you want them to be if you want to complete every side quest. I just wanted to get through them as quickly as possible but I may go back at some stage to see how things pan out if I had gone on for an extra 10 hours or so.

Halo 3 (MCC) - Xbox One: I think I'm going to give Halo games a bit of a break. I might be giving the series an unfair opinion because I've played Halo 2 and 3 back to back and bar the HUD cosmetics, it may as well be the same game.

I'm kind of sick of the world and the story in both Halo 2 and 3 felt very anti-climactic. There was just no real build up to a crescendo in 3. It just... ended.

I've got 4 as part of the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 sitting there on my shelf since I got my Xbox One but I'm just not bothered with them yet.

As far as gameplay goes, it's fine for the most part but controlling vehicles is an ungodly mess. Even when you let the AI take over the driving, they keep flipping the poxy thing over. These were the most frustrating elements during the game.

There are some nice moments visually but I didn't fully enjoy it.

2017 Completed Games to Date:

PS4
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

3DS
    Japanese Rail Simulator 3D
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Pocket Card Jockey

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4
    Halo 2 (MCC)
    Halo 3 (MCC)

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3

Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox one BC) - I have vague memories of playing this as a kid but this was my first proper play through. It was ok for the most part but the zone with the water was very annoying. Also as a big Mario fan this is so inferior to the Mario games at the time (Super Mario Bros 1 - 3 and Mario World). I can't believe some people would choose Sonic over Mario and have played both. 6\10

Don't let gavingaz hear you saying that! He was a legendary boardsie a couple of years back who had a serious thing for Sonic. Since been banned. Look him up, some quality threads there!

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - the opening message says this game will not hold your hand and it definitely sticks to that ethos. I consulted a walkthrough more than once I'm sad to admit, but there is so much to explore in a game that is relatively short. Easily one of the top 5 most breathtaking games I've ever played in terms of graphics, every movement would have warranted a screen grab. Walking simulator/puzzle/Lovecraftian horror game, this game is not for the impatient, but stick with it because the ending is brilliant. 8/10.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU) -
    After numerous attempts at that final boss, I finished it. The most difficult, most challenging, most rewarding and most fun platformer I've ever played, I smiled the whole way through. Notoriously tough, this game will have your heart pumping from start to finish. An amazing gaming experience. 10/10!

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - Another incredible installment in the greatest action-adventure video game series ever. As cinematic as its predecessors, the set-pieces are bigger and better than 1 and 2, and the score is absolutely brilliant. The game isn't perfect, with quite a few (small) glitches (the cover system lets the game down as it did with its predecessor), but the experience makes up for all that. I'm looking forward to playing the fourth and final installment, but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the wonderful characters Naughty Dog have created. A great game. 9/10.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - And so with Uncharted 4: A Thief's End comes the final chapter in gaming's greatest adventure series. And what a send-off it is! Graphically the best looking game I've ever played, it sees the characters we have grown to love explore an emotional depth not present in many other video games. The action set-pieces are bigger and better than ever before, and the game gives any Hollywood blockbuster a run for its money. The game is structured perfectly, starting with a bang and ending with one of the most satisfying pay-offs I've ever seen. Simply put, Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is what a perfect video game looks like. 10/10.

DOOM (PS4) - non-stop, heart-poundingly intense action from one of gaming's most legendary franchises. There is no stopping and getting into cover in this absolute onslaught of action, which is what sets DOOM apart from its contemporaries. Some may grow tired of the linear gameplay, but I just wanted more and more. An incredible achievement. 9.5/10.

Battletoads Arcade (part of Rare Replay, Xbox One) - This was a brilliant button bashing side-scrolling beat-'em-up like Streets of Rage, but with a surprising amount of variety in its short campaign. Lovely sprites and colourful characters made it a genuinely fun experience, cheers to fellow boardsie dagamer for helping me finish it. 8/10.

Camp Sunshine (PC) - very atmospheric and genuinely spooky indie horror homage to SNES RPGs and the slasher movie genre, particularly the Friday the 13th franchise. Colourful and very intense, it was a lot of fun and lasts just under the three hour mark. A handful of annoying puzzles kept the game from being thoroughly enjoyable but overall it worked well. 7.5 out of 10.

Adding:

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - Classic game, so glad I picked it up. The gravity mechanics are out of this world (pun intended) and the micro planets are brilliantly designed. The sense of satisfaction when getting a star at the end of each level is brilliant. Also, the music is some of the best I've ever heard in a Super Mario game. A weak camera design can cause frustration at times and the game's final level is rage-quittingly difficult. Overall, it's a fantastic game. 9/10.

• Advertisement

Lego City: The Chase Begins - 3DS:

Hadn't played a Lego game in a while and I enjoyed this one to an extent. It's fairly repetitive stuff. Go here, pick up that, beat up these guys over and over again.

I played this in a couple of sittings and while I enjoyed the humour in it, I got fed up towards the end. Now, given that this is a 3DS game, I probably should have played this on my commute in shorter bursts rather than longer periods of time.

PS4

3DS
    Pocket Card Jockey
    Lego City: The Chase Begins

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4
    Halo 2 (MCC)
    Halo 3 (MCC)

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Another game for my list:

PC

Oxenfree: 2D puzzle-adventure game. Nice graphics but what set this apart is the story, acting and certain gameplay elements (radios). Liked it a lot but not much replay value I think.
    Broforce: Awesome pixel-art homage to the 80s hero movie genre! Finished the campaign solo and have played a few co-op games with randomersin the meantime. Will keep going back to this one!

Batman: Arkham Knight: After the storm of negativity that accompanied the initial release on PC (well deserved I'm sure), I had some doubts about this one, despite hearing that all of the technical issues had been ironed out. Really enjoyed it in the end, more Batman goodness in a similar vein to the previous three Arkham games. Looked gorgeous. So many people seemed to hate the Batmobile, and while I think driving around Gotham is much less fun than gliding, it didn't ruin it for me in any way. Still put in 40 hours or so, completed all side missions other than the Riddler collection one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Slow start to the year for me.

Uncharted 3 [PS4]- It feels like the same old repackaged solution at this stage, cant say I have much hope for 4 even though I own it. I really wish developers would take more risk.

To the moon [PC] - Didn't think an RPG maker game could be capable of invoking the shedding of a tear but there you go.

----

The Last Guardian [PS4]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Took a little while to figure out what was going on. As the game tells you at the start, it doesn't hold your hand at all.

PC
    Hatred
    Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor
    COD:IW
    Deadpool
    Doom 3
    Portal
    Trine
    Dark Souls 3
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Owlboy
    Inside
    Deponia: The Complete Journey
    Deponia Doomsday

A few more to add to the list

Red Faction Guerilla: Had this on the PS3 when it first came out but never finished it. Decided to go back and play it on PC. It hasnt aged very well but the destruction physics were still as fun as they were when I initially played it.

Pillars of Eternity: Havent played many CRPGs so was a bit apprehensive going into this game as I thought I might struggle with the combat but I ended up really enjoying it. Didnt think the combat was very enjoyable but the lore,quests and story were good enough to keep my invested and I enjoyed it overall. Thought the White March DLC was a good addition as well.

Tales from the Borderlands: I didnt particularly enjoy the last couple of Telltale games I played and I'm not a big fan of Borderlands either but I picked this up cheap and thought why not. Glad I gave it a chance as its a great game with a good storyline and great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition:- I had a ton of fun playing this from start to finish. The puzzles really put your brain to work in most cases and the action is just superb. Great hack n' slasher with a good bit of depth to it. The story is, for the most part, forgettable. But with a game like this you'd forgive it.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition:- Just when I thought the predecessor was fun, this one takes the cake. This is how a sequel should be done - genuine improvements and new features. While the first game did give you the ability to buy upgrades for your items, the follow-up is a full-blown RPG that lets you gain XP/level up, obtain loot that is characterised by rarity (a formula typical to that of a Blizzard title). The story and voice acting is improved a good bit and I love the choice of actor they had for the main character - he just fits. All in all a wonderful and satisfying successor and a hell of a lot bigger than the previous game. Couldn't put the game down.

Valkyria Chronicles:- Overlooked gem of a game. I would warrant a guess that this game would tickle the fancy of those who like the XCOM series. I found it to be pretty similar in the way you micromanage everything. Absolutely loved the art style of this game - 3D-rendered anime with pencil sketched colour-schemes - I loved looking at this game as well as playing it. The story was pretty decent. I found myself getting pretty attached to a few of the characters throughout, and since there is permadeath in this game if you're not careful, I remember shouting "No!!" when I f**ked up and got one of my characters killed. I stuck to the role-playing aspect and didn't reload, I kept playing and replaced him with someone else. I love when games have this mechanic. This game is also the definitive edition with all the DLC included and the fps has been increased to 60fps if that's your thing. All in all a fine game and recommended. Took me about 30 hours to complete

Adding-
    Hitman:- I actually played the final story mission a few weeks ago but wasn't going to throw it up here because of how open the game's mission structure is, but f**k it I'll just add it in since I saw the end credits. Very honourable to the game's original style so that was very welcomed. I love that it gives you almost no limits to how you finish your mission. High replayability here. I would approach this game with a bit of caution, though, as it does only have 6 (I think) levels to play in and playing the same places over and over might get boring - I enjoyed it though.

Also adding-
    Unravel:- I started this game back in February 2016 and finished the first level. Not sure what it was that made me take a full year to go back to it but in any case this was just a lovely game to play through. I heard some critics somewhere say the controls are clunky and the puzzles were awkward but I didn't see any of that in this game. I loved the mechanics and the way the game played. I will say the puzzles were not as difficult as I hoped - it didn't take me long to figure them out. And there was not a lot of times where I said "I give up, I'll try again later" as a lot of puzzle-platformers do to me. But this was a nice game and I really enjoyed it. Short, but sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Homefront not a bad game, a lot better now that when it was released.

Final level is very easy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Homefront not a bad game, a lot better now that when it was released.

Final level is very easy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Battletoads Arcade - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Wii U

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U

Mafia 3 - PS4

Super Bomberman R - Nintendo Switch: I hadn't actually planned to pick this up at launch at all but I had a voucher for Gamestop I hadn't used so coupled with a 10% discount I picked it up for relatively cheap.

It's not too bad a game. The 3D top down view took a while to get used to and for the longest time, I continued to place bombs just ahead of where I wanted to put them.

Good humour in the cutscenes and it does look good but I felt a bit overwhelmed by so much happening on screen. It looks good but a bit too much going on all at once and kinda made it difficult to see/plan next moves.

Not bad but not great either.

Nintendo Switch
    Super Bomberman R

PS4

3DS
    Pocket Card Jockey

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4
    Halo 2 (MCC)
    Halo 3 (MCC)

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3

• Was Devils third a guilty pleasure?
    I always have a thing for violent Nintendo games.

Completed the following this month / last month
    RE7 - X1
    RE2 - Gamecube
    RE3- Gamecube
    Def Jam: FFNY - - Gamecube

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Was Devils third a guilty pleasure?

RE7 - X1
    RE2 - Gamecube
    RE3- Gamecube

Yes definitely a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed it for what it is. It didn't take itself seriously and was a good game to kick back and relax to. It definitely isn't near as bad as some critics made it out to be. For a tenner it was well worth it and in years to come it will probably be one of those rare Nintendo games that are hard to find.

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U
    Mafia 3 - PS4

Journey - PS4

Metal Slug 3 - Nintendo Switch:

Needed a bit of a break from the sprawling world that is Zelda so decided to pick up Metal Slug 3 from the e-shop.

Very much a slice of nostalgia and I completed it one sitting.

Still as crazy a game as I remember but the difference this time is that you get infinite continues which cheapens the experience a little bit and rewards you for constant failure.

But, for a short blitz and a step back into yester-year, it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Nintendo Switch
    Super Bomberman R
    Metal Slug 3

PS4

3DS
    Pocket Card Jockey

Xbox One
    Gears of War 4
    Halo 2 (MCC)
    Halo 3 (MCC)

Xbox 360
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Everybody's gone to the rapture [PS4] - I liked the unraveling of the different characters story as you explore. The environment was well presented too and great to get immersed in. The pace of the game, mostly due the players max walking speed made it a bit of a drag, a sprint button would probably cut the time to beat in half. As for the ending, I felt its was a bit too abstract for my liking, even reading other theories as well are not really grabbing me in anyway.

---
    Uncharted 3 [PS4]
    To the moon [PC]
    The Last Guardian [PS4]

Owlboy
    Inside
    Deponia Doomsday
    Red Faction Guerilla
    Pillars of Eternity

Tales from the Borderlands

Abzu: Found this to be a nice chilled game with some beautiful underwater areas. It was really short, coming in at just over 2 hours and that was with me not rushing but since I got it with the Humble Monthly I didnt mind too much.

The Witness: Mixed feelings on this one. I'd say its a good game overall but I do think it is overrated. Loved the island the game is set on but could have done with a wider variety of puzzles. I respect that they were able to get some creative variations on the line drawing stuff but it still gets tedious after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

PS4
    The Unfinished Swan
    Inside
    Firewatch
    Dear Esther
    Limbo
    Never Alone
    Oxenfree
    Until Dawn

PS3
    Yakuza 4

Gears of War 4 - Xbox 1
    Quantum Break - Xbox 1
    Halo 4 - Xbox 1
    Devils Third - Wii U
    Mafia 3 - PS4
    Journey - PS4

Sniper Elite 3 - PS4

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Was Devils third a guilty pleasure?

RE7 - X1
    RE2 - Gamecube
    RE3- Gamecube

I'm adding Killer 7 Gamecube - What a weird and wonderful game. Was quite long too (Took me 20 hours I think, some of the puzzles can be head-wrecking)

Also
    Metroid Zero Mission - Gameboy Advance
    LOTR Return of the King - Gamecube
    Super Street Fighter Alpha 2 - SNES

Currently Playing:
    Zelda BOTW - Switch
    Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - Wii (Got the Gun attachment for this, really fun)
    Metroid Prime - Amazing so far (About 5 hours in, first time to play this - so many nods to Super Metroid which I love and the soundtrack is beast)
    Super Mario 3 on the Classic Mini (World 8 ffs is a ****, save states every two minutes)
    Kirbys Adventure - Classic Mini (Much bigger game than its handheld cousin, first game I ever owned was Dreamland on Gameboy but cannot for the life of me find it)
    Madworld on the Wii - Great game, about 50% through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm adding Killer 7 Gamecube - What a weird and wonderful game. Was quite long too (Took me 20 hours I think, some of the puzzles can be head-wrecking)

Also
    Metroid Zero Mission - Gameboy Advance
    LOTR Return of the King - Gamecube
    Super Street Fighter Alpha 2 - SNES

Currently Playing:
    Zelda BOTW - Switch
    Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - Wii (Got the Gun attachment for this, really fun)
    Metroid Prime - Amazing so far (About 5 hours in, first time to play this - so many nods to Super Metroid which I love and the soundtrack is beast)
    Super Mario 3 on the Classic Mini (World 8 ffs is a ****, save states every two minutes)
    Kirbys Adventure - Classic Mini (Much bigger game than its handheld cousin, first game I ever owned was Dreamland on Gameboy but cannot for the life of me find it)
    Madworld on the Wii - Great game, about 50% through

Alpha 2 running on the SNES might as well be wizard work. I still constantly note and am amazed it's a thing some 7 years after I discovered it exists. It makes no sense. The SNES was essentially dead at that point in '96, Alpha 1 got no SNES release and the system, in all honestly, wasn't really cut out for what Alpha 2 was doing, but nope, someone decided that particular mountain had to be conquered and that's how we have a SNES game with loading sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just "finished" Hitman (PC). "Finished" as in all the story, challenges, and achievements.

I started playing on January 31st and put 105 hours into it since :eek: doing all the challenges before moving on to the next location. I tried doing that with escalations too, but they became tedious. When I passed the 24 hour mark and I was still in Paris doing escalations I decided to move on.

The praise this game got is understandable. I've always liked the franchise, so I'm glad it seemed more popular this time around.

My last achievement turned out to be a hidden one from the training mission. I'm certain I had already done what it wanted, but it didn't unlock until I did it again. Weird seeing Terry Norfolk again after all this time :p

Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm still glad it's finished with. Looking forward to the next season, though perhaps I should get into it from the beginning so I don't feel as burned out. I might dip back in to do some Elusive Targets in the meantime...

• Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Alpha 2 running on the SNES might as well be wizard work. I still constantly note and am amazed it's a thing some 7 years after I discovered it exists. It makes no sense. The SNES was essentially dead at that point in '96, Alpha 1 got no SNES release and the system, in all honestly, wasn't really cut out for what Alpha 2 was doing, but nope, someone decided that particular mountain had to be conquered and that's how we have a SNES game with loading sequences.

Graphically stunning and performance is great to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

PS3

Remember Me: I restarted this after giving up on it a couple of years ago. Once I got the Sensen combos sorted out properly it wasn't a bad game and easy enough to get through. Enjoyable enough story but ironically the whole thing is kind of forgettable once it's finished.

Mass Effect: Both the entire trilogy a while ago but always kept on putting off playing this. Took a long time to get into this but once it clicked I really enjoyed it. There's great characters and the story romps along at a decent pace. That fecking Mako though is an absolute disaster. Once finished, I was straight onto…

Mass Effect 2: This game was fantastic. Loved every part of it and it was as addictive as hell. Any spare minute I had, I was finishing missions or scanning planets. The choices I made led to some unexpected deaths with characters that I hoped were going to be with me until the end. Best game I've played in a long time.

• Advertisement

Owlboy
    Inside
    Deponia Doomsday
    Red Faction Guerilla
    Pillars of Eternity

Tales from the Borderlands
    Abzu
    The Witness

Evoland 2: Didnt think much of the first Evoland but this one was miles better and was a pleasant surprise. Lots of sections had nods to old classic games like Double Dragon and Bomberman. Had a lot of fun with this.

Steamworld Dig: Short and sweet. Its a fun little platformer that has you digging down through a mine.

Advertisement