Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Finally caught up with watching the first 3 episodes. It was not quite what I expected in that there was a different episode specific story per episode. I was expecting a continuation of the one story. Overall, it is watchable if not remarkable.

First off, I think the faults were over-cliched characters such as Tara's domineering mother and the obnoxious 1st wife of the overdose man in episode 3. Then there was the Love/Hate lite dimension with Ray and his friend. And why did Tara's father laugh at her breakup in the first episode? And who is Martha? I recall hearing this name mentioned a few times in the second episode but I can't recall who Martha is.

Overall, this is watchable but ordinary fare. It is on a par with Clean Break and Rebellion but I would prefer Charlie, Amber (underrated imo) and obviously Love/Hate.

i think you have pretty much summed it up well there

eamonnq wrote: »
    Should get the P.I. from this to find Amber!!

if they got her to do a quick scan on her laptop amber would never have gone missing in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

jezzer wrote: »
    i think you have pretty much summed it up well there

Yeah that's pretty much how it is. The pacing is an issue with a lot of dramas. Rebellion and Clean Break were too drawn out. Striking Out tends to rush things through for the sake of wrapping up a story in 1 episode.

Will tune in Sunday on either RTE 1 or RTE 1 +1 and see the final episode. There is potential here to iron out the faults if it gets to series 2 and the obvious way to do so is to mix in some Love/Hate into the mix. Tara defending a Nidge type with a gangland storyline would be a good way. Have the Love/Hate-style violence and serious legal drama and let the story continue across all episodes.

But despite all their flaws, dramas like Striking Out, Rebellion and Clean Break are much much better than what would be on otherwise. It would be some reality yoke, most often new or old episodes of Room To Improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

OK I might have remembered this wrong, but in the first episode, Tara asked the PI to find a car. She gave her the number plate only and hey presto, PI is able to track the car heading south. How?

In episode 3, the PI is able to access CCTV in a jewellers shop. I thought only a Garda with a warrant could access CCTV. Anything else would be illegal. The judge and entire court seeing nothing amiss here.

There is no credibility to any of this. Its not a gritty drama in that there is no realism. Its not a comedy, except maybe as a farce.

RTE need to bin this asap and Hubermann needs to distance herself from it otherwise her career could sink with it. Why she agreed to do this show I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I agree that the acting is fairly wooden in parts but that's probably mainly down to the script being an absolute pile of shíte. Embarrassing effort from rte yet again. Says a lot about our national broadcaster when the likes of the BBC can come into Ireland and make top class programs like The Fall, yet rte continue to churn this bullshít out time after time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OK I might have remembered this wrong, but in the first episode, Tara asked the PI to find a car. She gave her the number plate only and hey presto, PI is able to track the car heading south. How?

In episode 3, the PI is able to access CCTV in a jewellers shop. I thought only a Garda with a warrant could access CCTV. Anything else would be illegal. The judge and entire court seeing nothing amiss here.

There is no credibility to any of this. Its not a gritty drama in that there is no realism. Its not a comedy, except maybe as a farce.

RTE need to bin this asap and Hubermann needs to distance herself from it otherwise her career could sink with it. Why she agreed to do this show I don't know.

I think the main fault was the storylines in the episodes were rushed and the characters were not standing out as they were not there long enough to know. I have been wracking my brains and cannot make out who Martha in it was. Was she even in it or just mentioned in passing as another solicitor? Either way, it added nothing to the story and either did the Caroline character who Dunbar had the affair with.
    Just watched the first 2 episodes and I agree that the acting is fairly wooden in parts but that's probably mainly down to the script being an absolute pile of shíte. Embarrassing effort from rte yet again. Says a lot about our national broadcaster when the likes of the BBC can come into Ireland and make top class programs like The Fall, yet rte continue to churn this bullshít out time after time :rolleyes:

While this is not the worst RTE has ever done (for that, go to The Big Bow Wow and its ilk), it still falls into the trap of mediocrity. The story about a legal practice could be very interesting but the cases are harmless and the characters not memorable. Caroline is pointless, Dunbar is bland, I don't even know if Martha was in it or just mentioned, the 2 feuding sisters were not in it long enough to make their story interesting, Ray is silly, and the overdose man's criminal past was not explored (unless episode 4 but I predict this will be a new story again rushed to completion in 50 minutes).

Yes, it would seem RTE have to coproduce something or get it off someone else and claim it as their own for it really to be good. At the end of Love/Hate, you see the letters ITV and The Fall is BBC. I know ITV and BBC have more resources and it shows but RTE cannot bring their dramas to their full potential because they are wasting their money on other things: Drama is well down their list of priorities and in their eyes, this Dancing With The Stars is probably their current priority. Of course, all these presenters like Tubridy, Nicky Byrne, etc. have to be paid massive salaries.

That all said and done: the other Irish channels are no better. TV3 is the same old thing and UTV Ireland, even though it is an offshoot from ITV, was the poor cousin and more like RTE or TV3 than the main ITV stations. UTV Ireland could have snatched Love/Hate series 6 but didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

That all said and done: the other Irish channels are no better. TV3 is the same old thing and UTV Ireland, even though it is an offshoot from ITV, was the poor cousin and more like RTE or TV3 than the main ITV stations. UTV Ireland could have snatched Love/Hate series 6 but didn't.

You left out the channel that has been producing some of the best home grown drama in recent years - TG4. Corp & Anam, An Brontannas & An Klondike were all worth watching.

An Klondike is coming back for a second series at the start of February - you should give it a watch, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's set in America so about half of the dialogue is in English.

Here's the trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Finally caught up with watching the first 3 episodes. It was not quite what I expected in that there was a different episode specific story per episode. I was expecting a continuation of the one story. Overall, it is watchable if not remarkable.

First off, I think the faults were over-cliched characters such as Tara's domineering mother and the obnoxious 1st wife of the overdose man in episode 3. Then there was the Love/Hate lite dimension with Ray and his friend. And why did Tara's father laugh at her breakup in the first episode? And who is Martha? I recall hearing this name mentioned a few times in the second episode but I can't recall who Martha is.

Overall, this is watchable but ordinary fare. It is on a par with Clean Break and Rebellion but I would prefer Charlie, Amber (underrated imo) and obviously Love/Hate.

First two episodes were mediocre, but watchable. That 3rd episode especially the ending was the biggest pile of ****e, I have seen in a long time on TV. It was like they asked a 10 year old child to write the last 10 minutes of it.

Yeah that's pretty much how it is. The pacing is an issue with a lot of dramas. Rebellion and Clean Break were too drawn out. Striking Out tends to rush things through for the sake of wrapping up a story in 1 episode.

Will tune in Sunday on either RTE 1 or RTE 1 +1 and see the final episode. There is potential here to iron out the faults if it gets to series 2 and the obvious way to do so is to mix in some Love/Hate into the mix. Tara defending a Nidge type with a gangland storyline would be a good way. Have the Love/Hate-style violence and serious legal drama and let the story continue across all episodes.

But despite all their flaws, dramas like Striking Out, Rebellion and Clean Break are much much better than what would be on otherwise. It would be some reality yoke, most often new or old episodes of Room To Improve.

I fully agree, as mediocre as it is at least you can watch it....dont talk to me about room to improve, how is that trash still on the tv?

robbiezero wrote: »
    First two episodes were mediocre, but watchable. That 3rd episode especially the ending was the biggest pile of ****e, I have seen in a long time on TV. It was like they asked a 10 year old child to write the last 10 minutes of it.

Would have to agree. 1st 2 were okay and watchable. The 3rd was poorly executed and besides the same story is being done in Fair City at the moment anyway. I noticed that different writers are involved in the episodes and this in such a short series tends to destroy continuity and the caliber of the writers is significant here. The writer of the 3rd episode is of a poorer caliber.

• Advertisement

what else is hubermans going to do? I dont see hollywood lining up anytime soon, in fact i would say she is not suitable to the role of tara in this series, she isnt a strong enough actor in my opinion

You left out the channel that has been producing some of the best home grown drama in recent years - TG4. Corp & Anam, An Brontannas & An Klondike were all worth watching.

An Klondike is coming back for a second series at the start of February - you should give it a watch, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's set in America so about half of the dialogue is in English.

Here's the trailer:

I came across An Klondike a couple of times, I presume its set in the days of the goldrush but what exactly is it about? you recommend giving it a watch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Got to agree with the praise for TG4. From the night it started, it has produced a number of excellent shows. It shows it's not a resources problem in RTE, it's a talent one.

I came across An Klondike a couple of times, I presume its set in the days of the goldrush but what exactly is it about? you recommend giving it a watch?

Yes, it's set during the 1897 Klondike goldrush and follows three Irish brothers who arrive into a goldrush town called Dominion looking to strike it rich.

The first series was excellent - good actors, great script, high production values all round. TG4 built an actual Wild West town out in Connemara for the filming. What I liked most about it was that it was something different for Irish television, it's an ambitious show and fair play to TG4 for taking a chance on it.

The first series is being repeated on TG4 at the moment and the episodes are available on their player. I'd definitely recommend catching up with series 1 if you are thinking of watching the new series as it looks from the trailer that the story picks up almost straight after the end of series 1.

I have high hopes for series 2 so hopefully it lives up to expectations.

Yes, it's set during the 1897 Klondike goldrush and follows three Irish brothers who arrive into a goldrush town called Dominion looking to strike it rich.

The first series was excellent - good actors, great script, high production values all round. TG4 built an actual Wild West town out in Connemara for the filming. What I liked most about it was that it was something different for Irish television, it's an ambitious show and fair play to TG4 for taking a chance on it.

The first series is being repeated on TG4 at the moment and the episodes are available on their player. I'd definitely recommend catching up with series 1 if you are thinking of watching the new series as it looks from the trailer that the story picks up almost straight after the end of series 1.

I have high hopes for series 2 so hopefully it lives up to expectations.

its actually filmed in conemara? fair play to them, the production values look amazing i actually though it was filmed in Canada, any known actors in it? are all the actors Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

what else is hubermans going to do? I dont see hollywood lining up anytime soon, in fact i would say she is not suitable to the role of tara in this series, she isnt a strong enough actor in my opinion

Fiona O'Shaughnessy, who plays Meg, actually has stronger acting credentials than Amy Huberman. She has done a significant amount of stage work, and is a very good actress. The fact that she is playing second fiddle to Amy in Striking Out really proves that the producers are more interested in having a celeb to sell this, than getting the best actors possible. I suppose that's understandable in this celeb obsessed world. A 'name' will always attract viewers.

I don't think Amy Huberman is a bad actress, but I think this series not only needs better thought out scripts, but a stronger lead. Amy would actually be better playing the PI, with Fiona taking the lead in my opinion.

its actually filmed in conemara? fair play to them, the production values look amazing i actually though it was filmed in Canada, any known actors in it? are all the actors Irish?

Yes, it's a well made series and shows what can be achieved with a bit of creativity and talent. TG4 manage to pull it off on a fraction of what RTE spend. There is a good section on the show's website that gives you an idea of how they went about building the town: http://anklondike.com/recreating-the-klondike-in-conamara/

Most of the actors are Irish, you'd know some of their faces I'm sure. The guy who plays the older brother was in a series called Single Handed a few years back. There were a few American actors in the first series, some of whom were Native American as there is a storyline revolving around a Native family that are caught up in the gold fever.

The new series seems to have brought on a couple of high profile names. There's a mention on that site of Tim Murphy - he was in the last series of True Detective and had a big part in Sons of Anarchy. And there is a new Native American character played by a guy called Duane Howard who was one of the main actors in The Revenant. I think he played the Native chief who was hunting Leonardo DiCaprio.

Fiona O'Shaughnessy, who plays Meg, actually has stronger acting credentials than Amy Huberman. She has done a significant amount of stage work, and is a very good actress. The fact that she is playing second fiddle to Amy in this really proves that the producers are more interested in having a celeb to sell this, than getting the best actors possible. I suppose that's understandable in this celeb obsessed world. A 'name' will always attract viewers.

I don't think Amy Huberman is a bad actress, but I think this series not only needs better thought out scripts, but a stronger lead. Amy would actually be better playing the PI, with Fiona taking the lead in my opinion.

i think i would have hubermans as the receptionist or a female version of rays character and ruth bradley in the main role as tara but make fiona o shaughnesseys role more prominent and more realistic too..

spurious wrote: »
    Got to agree with the praise for TG4. From the night it started, it has produced a number of excellent shows. It shows it's not a resources problem in RTE, it's a talent one.

TG4 can be good. Lose that stupid boyband show Glor Tire and it is almost perfect.

I fully agree, as mediocre as it is at least you can watch it....dont talk to me about room to improve, how is that trash still on the tv?

Have to agree. That Room to Improve is well passed its sell by at this stage. Typical RTE shoving this on every chance they get. Another awful thing was Stars Go Racing which featured weather forecasters, rugby players, boyband singers, Eurovision singers and Francis Brennan going racing. This sort of drivel is typical of what they squander our licence fees on. I can't stand these programmes where certain people are picked out to do something other than what they are 'famous' for.

Striking Out on the other hand gave scriptwriters and actors a chance. It may not be a masterpiece but is one compared to above trash.

• Advertisement

Have to agree. That Room to Improve is well passed its sell by at this stage. Typical RTE shoving this on every chance they get. Another awful thing was Stars Go Racing which featured weather forecasters, rugby players, boyband singers, Eurovision singers and Francis Brennan going racing. This sort of drivel is typical of what they squander our licence fees on. I can't stand these programmes where certain people are picked out to do something other than what they are 'famous' for.

Striking Out on the other hand gave scriptwriters and actors a chance. It may not be a masterpiece but is one compared to above trash.

absolutely, stricking out is far from award winning but its something, and anything is better than rounding up the RTE canteen and shoving them into some sort of reality show, remember week on the farm with diddly healy rae ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Yes, I agree. At least they're putting some resources into drama. Do we really need any more reality shows, or programmes starring so called 'celebs', who most people would walk past in the shopping centre without a second glance? Ireland has lots of talented actors, but there's so little scope for them here. It would be great if our national broadcaster could utilise some of this talent, instead of recycling the same few people over and over - appearing on every chat show, entertainment programme, etc etc.

Yes, I agree. At least they're putting some resources into drama. Do we really need any more reality shows, or programmes starring so called 'celebs', who most people would walk past in the shopping centre without a second glance? Ireland has lots of talented actors, but there's so little scope for them here. It would be great if our national broadcaster could utilise some of this talent, instead of recycling the same few people over and over - appearing on every chat show, entertainment programme, etc etc.

We don't need any more of these reality shows with so-called celebs. A bit of support for actors and proper singers and musicians and comedians is needed. The way it operates is like this:

Wednesday, January 18th 2017 around now: 2 people meet in the RTE canteen. One asks they other will they do a reality show in February. They agree. Then along comes Tubridy and asks them are they free this or some Friday to appear on his show.

We don't need any more of these reality shows with so-called celebs. A bit of support for actors and proper singers and musicians and comedians is needed. The way it operates is like this:

Wednesday, January 18th 2017 around now: 2 people meet in the RTE canteen. One asks they other will they do a reality show in February. They agree. Then along comes Tubridy and asks them are they free this or some Friday to appear on his show.

you so have it in one..... thats another thing that needs to be axed pretty quickly the damn late late show, what a joke, its like groundhog day, someone has a book out, someone is appearing on a reality tv show on RTE, the obligatory C list celeb from the UK, music from whoever is appearing that weekend in whelans and throw in something controversial to keep the show in the newspapers such as some loser getting botox live on tv or pin a lamb to a piece of metal.....anything once people talk about it.... ffs and while your at it throw tubbers 650k for his troubles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

you so have it in one..... thats another thing that needs to be axed pretty quickly the damn late late show, what a joke, its like groundhog day, someone has a book out, anyone appearing on a show on RTE (even the newsreader will do), the obligatory C list celeb from the UK, music from whoever is appearing that weekend in whelans and throw in something controversial to keep the show in the newspapers such as some loser getting botox live on tv or pin a lamb to a piece of metal.....anything once people talk about it.... ffs and while your at it throw tubbers 650k for his troubles....

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

you so have it in one..... thats another thing that needs to be axed pretty quickly the damn late late show, what a joke, its like groundhog day, someone has a book out, someone is appearing on a reality tv show on RTE, the obligatory C list celeb from the UK, music from whoever is appearing that weekend in whelans and throw in something controversial to keep the show in the newspapers such as some loser getting botox live on tv or pin a lamb to a piece of metal.....anything once people talk about it.... ffs and while your at it throw tubbers 650k for his troubles....

And plant someone doing something odd in the audience for 'viral video' sharing.

The Tubridy Show/Late Late Show needs to go or be changed. All it is now is a platform to promote other shows on RTE and any new boyband/talent show related singer I have noticed. Getting Katie Hopkins in is supposed to be 'controversial'. This Dynamo the lamb incident was deliberate and I have noticed Tubridy's ISIS treatment of the lamb gets shown again in flashbacks when promoting this season's entrepreneur showcase. And as for that Valentine's special. Very poor idea. The worst Tubridy show of the year. Tubridy or whoever came up with the idea of getting an audience of divorced or two timing clowns into the studio for 2 hours and giving them drink and laying on the most airheaded 2 hours of the season must have been out of their minds.
    Cianmcliam wrote: »
    And plant someone doing something odd in the audience for 'viral video' sharing.

'Viral' is another overused word in the media. Irish TV does need to change and this same old tired Late Late Show format was identical when Kenny was in charge as well.

The Tubridy Show/Late Late Show needs to go or be changed. All it is now is a platform to promote other shows on RTE and any new boyband/talent show related singer I have noticed. Getting Katie Hopkins in is supposed to be 'controversial'. This Dynamo the lamb incident was deliberate and I have noticed Tubridy's ISIS treatment of the lamb gets shown again in flashbacks when promoting this season's entrepreneur showcase. And as for that Valentine's special. Very poor idea. The worst Tubridy show of the year. Tubridy or whoever came up with the idea of getting an audience of divorced or two timing clowns into the studio for 2 hours and giving them drink and laying on the most airheaded 2 hours of the season must have been out of their minds.

'Viral' is another overused word in the media. Irish TV does need to change and this same old tired Late Late Show format was identical when Kenny was in charge as well.

Your right there about that stupid valentines show, what a joke, what idiot came up with that nonsense? as you say they get a bunch of losers, divorcees and two timers into the audience, get them drunk on cheap wine in the holding pen and then get them to embarrass themselves and somehow this is great tv? do they really think this is what "the young people" want?
    That first dates ireland show is some pathetic tripe also, again, taking fools who just want to get on tv and getting them to make fools of themselves, whats the point? I see there is also some other nonsense called first came marriage, again its probably the same tired ****e as for dont tell the bride, ffs :mad:

caught the trailer for striking out next sunday, looks like the gang are tacking domestic violence and someone is trying to destroy their business (gee i wonder who that could be).... hopefully tara can use the fact that auld dunbarr broke the law by knowingly having a bigamist set up a trust, however as that happened in episode 3 it may not carry over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

caught the trailer for striking out next sunday, looks like the gang are tacking domestic violence and someone is trying to destroy their business (gee i wonder who that could be).... hopefully tara can use the fact that auld dunbarr broke the law by knowingly having a bigamist set up a trust, however as that happened in episode 3 it may not carry over...

Things will be sticky for them for the first 3 quarters of an hour of the episode, then suddenly yer wan will find something on the internet with no ryhme nor reason as to why or how she managed it, and then the case will be won and all will live happily ever after.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Things will be sticky for them for the first 3 quarters of an hour of the episode, then suddenly yer wan will find something on the internet with no ryhme nor reason as to why or how she managed it, and then the case will be won and all will live happily ever after.

yes it will be high fives all round for the gang and dunbarr and his cronies will get their comeuppance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I actually really like this despite everything! Proper laugh out loud when the two lads sit up on the couch stoned to look at the phone. No idea why I find it so watchable because it is ludicrous when you actually analyse it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Here we go again. They have ditched the posh houses for a council flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nigel Fitzjames, also known as Pete from Fair City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Amy flirting with the coffee man!

• Advertisement

Does she not have a big bigamy case coming up....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Parents are on Drugs, they are abusive to the Social Worker, the house is a kip, the Kid rarely goes to school, when he does he is filthy ...

but the Dad is teaching the Young Lad Keepy Uppies.

Surely no Judge in the land would break up that Happy Family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is Ray Des Bishop's younger brother ?

Cringeworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And he's a Christian !
    Praise the Lord !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Dinner with the coffee man...knew it!

Skid X wrote: »
    The Parents are on Drugs, they are abusive to the Social Worker, the house is a kip, the Kid rarely goes to school, when he does he is filthy ...

but the Dad is teaching the Young Lad Keepy Uppies.

Surely no Judge in the land would break up that Happy Family.

And he does very artistic murals. I'm sure Amy will save the day for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Is Ray Des Bishop's younger brother ?

I was going to say son ...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

As soon as the Judge turns his/her back your man will be painting a mural on the wall of the Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭swine

A conveniently unoccupied flat during a rental crisis in Dublin - okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Jaze they shoulda got this boyo on the Sistine chapel back in the day .... woulda been finished in half the time!

He only got the keys 20 minutes ago and hes already recreated wembley in the box room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Thought we had a department of health, not ministry of health?

A nice flat just available in the middle of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fardoun

I have to admit i havent been enGed with the show but this is pretentious ..exaggerated stereotypes ...so unconvincing .AHspho y trendy workplace ....AH is irelands sandra bulloch ..the girl next door ... that we Re seeing too much of ..tg this droll finishes tonight

vkid wrote: »
    Thought we had a department of health, not ministry of health?

Makes it easier to sell it on to foreign TV companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement