Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I shot a target at 400m using my .22 zeroed for 50m. Cold bore shot.

Options
  • 31-12-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Today I shot a target in my local quarry at 400m, the rifle was zeroed for 50m, Wind was very wild, I aimed about 12 inches above the target and fired, much to my surprise the round hit dead centre with a cold bore shot.
    The target was an old tea cup.
    It really surprised me.
    Any stories like this? Capabilities of a .22?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't mean to call you on anything, but are you sure you only aimed 12 inches high. Or are you sure it was a 50 yard zero.

A 22lr will drop 12 inches from the muzzle to about 110 yards (or 60 or so yards past 50 yards-your zero). It falls 7-8 inches from 50 to 100 yards. So at 400 yards you're looking at over 28 feet of drop. FEET, not inches.

A long, long time ago (in a galaxy not too far away :D) i had the chance to shoot a few balloons at 400 yards with my 22. The backstop of the bog was 18 feet. We were aiming 10 feet over the top of the backstop to hit the balloons. We also shot in what we thought were calm conditions, but in fact it was about 7 mph wind. We were aiming off about 3+ feet aswell as the massive holdover.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Don't mean to call you on anything, but are you sure you only aimed 12 inches high. Or are you sure it was a 50 yard zero.

A 22lr will drop 12 inches from the muzzle to about 110 yards (or 60 or so yards past 50 yards-your zero). It falls 7-8 inches from 50 to 100 yards. So at 400 yards you're looking at over 28 feet of drop. FEET, not inches.

A long, long time ago (in a galaxy not too far away :D) i had the chance to shoot a few balloons at 400 yards with my 22. The backstop of the bog was 18 feet. We were aiming 10 feet over the top of the backstop to hit the balloons. We also shot in what we thought were calm conditions, but in fact it was about 7 mph wind. We were aiming off about 3+ feet aswell as the massive holdover.

What i did have was one day, many years ago again, i shot a tin can. Put the can back up and fired at it again. Can never moved so i thought i missed. When i went down it went into the same entry hole, but came out a new one. So the can had one entry, but two exit holes.

This was only at 72 yards, but with open sights i was chufffed. never done it since.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Cass wrote:

Forgot to mention I was on top of the quarry with about a 50m elevation

I really don't want to mess up your thread with a load of technical talk that will do nothing but ruin your thread. I've no reason to doubt you, but cannot help myself sometimes. So apologies for that.

A 22 at 400 yards is a hell of a shot. At those distances it resembles a tiny mortar round. :D You're basically guessing where the bullet will fall.

Cass wrote:
    A 22 at 400 yards is a hell of a shot. At those distances it resembles a tiny mortar round. You're basically guessing where the bullet will fall.

Absolutely, I tried to replicate the shot with another 9 rounds and I couldn't get close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

High velocity or subsonic?

I was on the 1,000 yard line some years back with my 308. Had spent months developing the load and test firing. Lay down and spent a good while getting myself sorted. judging the wind, and dialed on as appropriate. Fired.

Waited for what felt like an eternity and the board came back up. I asked for it to be checked again. The marker took a picture and texted it to me. The cold bore, first shot went straight though the middle of the "V" in the dead centre of the bullseye. It was as perfect a V-bull as you could ask for.

When i turned around there was about 6 or 7 lads standing there with spotting scopes. I smiled, coyly, and got up off the line. No way was i trying to do that again.

Moral of the story. Stop when you're winning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I fired at 440 yards with mini mags from a 50 yard zero and had to dial my scope out to the max and use the bottom post on the reticle as a hold over point IIRC it was close a 380 inch drop to the target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I used to shoot bottles floating down a large river from a bridge. I only truly knew the range to 100/120 yds.

At extreme range, which was well in excess of 300yds and possibly the 400yd+ mark (must range it some day) and it felt like the bullets were dropping in. I remember using the point where the ret post met the scope bell at the bottom to aim.

Some I hit, some I didn't. At around 300yds it felt more reliable.

Don't remember the mag I used, was using 3-9 x 32 Tasco back then and presume I was on 9x with different holdovers, of course.

OP, you'll never forget that shot. Best wishes ,Yuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

lucky ricochet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Legalities surrounding this moderators? I have heard it said here before that target shooting outside of an authorised range is against the rules of your license

Thread is just a bit of fun. Most "war stories" would be from years ago, like my own, when we were young and ignorant.

Also the target shooting issue. True all target shooting must be done within a range. Zeroing is classed as target shooting, unintentionally, but most Gardaí concede that to be safe all shooters should have their rifles zeroed so it's "allowed" on a very limited basis. IOW one person firing a few shots in a short space of time would be fine, compared to a dozen lads shooting hundreds of rounds all day.

I'll keep an eye for anything that jumps over that fine line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Legalities surrounding this moderators? I have heard it said here before that target shooting outside of an authorised range is against the rules of your license

It becomes illegal when the Judge says it is and he/she gives you your sentence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

No matter where yer shooting ye can't just go from 50yards out to 400 yards without working your way out in increments. Start at 100 then 150 then 175 and finally try 200 and then ye'll know something about the real drop

Maybe it was 22swift ye were shooting? Or it was just the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

At about 15.30hrs to day there was a very strong consistent wind blowing, maybe with the wind at your back and a good up draft from the cliff face luck was on your side.....either that or you found the JFK missing bullet

Could have been the biggest stroke of luck in my life, There was a lot of shouting and laughing when it hit, a big surprise to everyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

One time we through some clays up onto a sand bank in a quarry @300y. With the sand it was easy to see where the shoots were going.

After dailing all the up on the scope and then aiming off the bottom post we could hit those clays 7 out of 10 shots with the others only just missing.

Pimped up CZ 452 with 16" varmint barrel using Eley subs, fixed 10x40 Bushnell 3200 elite scope.

CZvarmint1.jpg

clivej wrote:
    Pimped up CZ 452 with 16" varmint barrel using Eley subs, fixed 10x40 Bushnell 3200 elite scope.

I have the same rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have the same rifle

That very same rifle, that I sold on couple of year ago?

clivej wrote:

No haha, just a CZ 452

• Advertisement

clivej wrote:

Is that a muzzle break?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Are you a sure your friend wasn't sitting in a ditch beside the target with another. 22 :)

Beat shot I ever had with a 22 was just under 200 yards and at that I was elevated and still aimed a foot or more above the target (a pinger) I felt like Mark Wahlberg in shooter when he shot that guy from the boat with a bottle as a suppressor

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

I've been shooting some long range 22lr recently, using eley tenex and rws r50.

I've shot multiple distances up to 330yds and calibrated my data in strelok.
    Average velocity of r50 is 1080fps and es is 31, it will group consistently under 1" at 100yds.

I have 52moa drop at 330yds from 109 zero.
    It calculates a 75moa /315" drop at 400yds but you would have approx. 8" vertical variation due to es thats if you had a perfect windcall.
    Also, a 10mph full wind calculates as 21moa.

Well worth buying a lotto ticket Op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

At about 15.30hrs to day there was a very strong consistent wind blowing, maybe with the wind at your back and a good up draft from the cliff face luck was on your side.....either that or you found the JFK missing bullet

JFK was headshot at 81yds going away at approx 11mph.

3 shots from Italian 6.5 Carcano bolt action/small scope in something like 4.5 secs, was replicated by CIA (?) investigation shortly after assassination, but accuracy was poor if I remember right.

Oswald set himself up on boxes and the arrangement looked really stable.

Those 6.5 Carcanos are supposed to be fairly crap, but he supposedly had practiced a fair bit with it.

I reckon the official story that the 3 shots were all by Oswald is plausible.

Later - realise after the fact there was what we used to call the magic bullet. Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I shot a crossing pigeon decoying one day at about 12 inches from the barrel.. I was aiming at his buddy 40 yards out. 12 bore.. 12 inches.. alot more than 12 pieces of pigeon :)

I just saw a haze of **** and feathers wondering what was in that cart

'hdz

Advertisement