Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spices

Options
  • 31-12-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I normally buy whatever is cheap, spices from Aldi/Lidl and Super Valu own brand, however I recently bought a Goodall's Cinnamon and wow the difference the flavour was amazing, I might be buying Goodall's from now on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

You should get yourself to your nearest Asian/ African food shop. The spices are incredible and so much cheaper than supermarket brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Age of the product is more critical than anything else - there'd be huge turnover on cinnamon in shops this time of year so it was likely very fresh, versus a year old tin you had knocking around.

Don't buy 400g bags in an Asian supermarket unless you cook in that kind of volume

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Some of the cheaper cinnamons are made from cassia which is a variety of the plant that has a more bitter flavour. The more expensive stuff is ceylon cinnamon which has a nicer/sweeter flavour. Cassia sticks have a single thick layer of bark - they're the ones you see decorating Christmas wreaths etc. while ceylon sticks are softer and have more layers in them, a bit like a cigar.

But any cinnamon will lose its flavour a bit as it gets older, especially if it's powdered. Buying some sticks and blending them yourself in a spice or coffee grinder before you use them makes a big difference flavour wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Goodall one def had the sweeter flavour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 ardsgave

Have you tried buying fresh cinnamon sticks online? http://exactresults.com/wp/restaurant/2017/03/08/cinnamonhill/ what a difference in how the freshly grated  cinnamon appeals to my senses.
    <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

• Advertisement
Advertisement