Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the price roughly of 22 hornet bullets?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

What is the price roughly of 22 hornet bullets? Hornady. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Last time I seen 'em for sale about €1 per round :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Last time I seen 'em for sale about €1 per round

Thanks just my dad might be upgrading so I might try get a license for the hornet! Just woundering what the price of ammunition was like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I think I seen RWS 20 pack for €28 in Kilkenny. Ultimately a 223 would give you better ammo, at a similar price or less. Not to mention the vast array of bullet types and weights.
    Don't get me wrong the 22H is s good little round. It prob limited to 200y on foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

Last time I bought some it was €28 for 25 rounds of hornady and s&b were €20 for 20. They are too expensive for rabbits when 22lr is on €13/14 per 100 but I had great luck at foxes with it

Zxthinger wrote:
    I think I seen RWS 20 pack for €28 in Kilkenny. Ultimately a 223 would give you better ammo, at a similar price or less. Not to mention the vast array of bullet types and weights. Don't get me wrong the 22H is s good little round. It prob limited to 200y on foxes.

sharkfox wrote:
    Last time I bought some it was €28 for 25 rounds of hornady and s&b were €20 for 20. They are too expensive for rabbits when 22lr is on €13/14 per 100 but I had great luck at foxes with it

Yeah Thanks it's just it's not really worth anything to trade in so might aswell keep it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have to admit to never having bought centrefire ammunition, apart from Swiss GP11 when it was available, in yUK, since reloading is commonplace here. It came as a genuine shock to the system to read the prices that you pay for common calibre ammunition in RoI until I took a look at the prices here in yUK -

http://www.kirklees-guns.co.uk/common-sporting-centerfire-ammunition.html

I'm just sitting down to recuperate with a half litre of Tim Horton's best... :O

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Its a pity the ammo for the hornet is so expensive. I have a sweet spot for the round as it was my first centrefire. I never found it wanting, and had no trouble dropping foxes with it.

gunny123 wrote:
    Its a pity the ammo for the hornet is so expensive. I have a sweet spot for the round as it was my first centrefire. I never found it wanting, and had no trouble dropping foxes with it.

Yeah a friend of my dad has his because apparently they aren't worth much! So he said he'd keep it and he says he shoots greycrows and the likes with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

ppu ammo is dirt cheap for them think 20 euro a box.. im using it in 6.5x55 and it works very very well

https://outdoorsports.ie/collections/ammunition/products/sellier-bellot-22-hornet-45gr-soft-point

daithi55 wrote:
    ppu ammo is dirt cheap for them think 20 euro a box.. im using it in 6.5x55 and it works very very well

Thanks

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to know what velocity is being obtained from the 6.5x55 PPU stuff. I found that their 7.5x55 Swiss was between 180 and 200 fps slower than GP11, depending on which rifle I shot it in, and nowhere near as accurate.

OTOH, that could just have been me.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

PPU have a good website with ballistic charts of each round they make. I was looking at their .303 ammo chart, and yes their ammo does seem a bit anemic. Maybe its to do with the military rounds being mainly for older rifles, and they knock the loads back a bit for safety ?

Nailed.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

tac foley wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what velocity is being obtained from the 6.5x55 PPU stuff. I found that their 7.5x55 Swiss was between 180 and 200 fps slower than GP11, depending on which rifle I shot it in, and nowhere near as accurate.

OTOH, that could just have been me.

tac

havent a clue what it is but cant fault it for hunting anyway.. target shootig might be a different thing

I don't know anybody who shoots live game with a Swiss surplus rifle here in UK - over in the US and Canada it's a whole lot more common. In UK you need to have a special codicil on your FAC to shoot live game, so that you can buy the otherwise prohibited ammunition or bullets [if you reload]. This is about to change when the revised Act gets HMtQ's signature on it.

My homeloaded 7.5x55 Swiss emulates the service round, except that the bullet is only 168gr and not 174gr. The price difference between the two bullet weights is an astounding £15 per hundred. And being a poor old pensioner means I have to count the pennies......

tac

EDIT - just checked - PPU Swiss schtuff IS slower, so it's not just my chronograph. It's also £73/C!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

tac foley wrote: »
    I don't know anybody who shoots live game with a Swiss surplus rifle here in UK - over in the US and Canada it's a whole lot more common. In UK you need to have a special codicil on your FAC to shoot live game, so that you can buy the otherwise prohibited ammunition or bullets [if you reload]. This is about to change when the revised Act gets HMtQ's signature on it.

My homeloaded 7.5x55 Swiss emulates the service round, except that the bullet is only 168gr and not 174gr. The price difference between the two bullet weights is an astounding £15 per hundred. And being a poor old pensioner means I have to count the pennies......

tac

EDIT - just checked - PPU Swiss schtuff IS slower, so it's not just my chronograph. It's also £73/C!

Is that the bit that lets you have 'expanding' ammo?

Yessir. Since the 'good reason' I put down to be permitted to have firearms is 'target shooting' I am not permitted to shoot ANY live game with any of my rifles/carbines. At the moment, expanding/fragmenting ammunition is covered by Section 5 of the Firearms Act, and ordinary [non-expanding] ammunition is covered by Section 1 [Rifled Firearms]. My FAC only permits me to have Section 1 firearms and ammunition.

Those people who DO go game hunting or vermin controlling and use such ammunition have a Section 5 authorisation on their Section 1 FAC. Any gun dealer will check this before he sells any factory ammunition or bullets for reloading. Each bullet, BTW, is classed as a complete round for documentation purposes. It's not just the RoI that has wacky laws.

Apologies for thread drift.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

What is the price roughly of 22 hornet bullets? Hornady. Thanks!

Hornady 35g are E25 for 25.
    After that you are around E45-E50 for Winchester and Remington.

Hornady 35g are E25 for 25. After that you are around E45-E50 for Winchester and Remington.

Thanks I'll think I'd go for hornady!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thanks I'll think I'd go for hornady!

The higher prices are for 50 bulletts

• Advertisement

The higher prices are for 50 bulletts

Oh right well I thought Remington were hard to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

The Bridge Guns & tackle in Strabane, Tyrone were selling boxes of 25 hornady 35gn V max for £12.50 a box just over a year ago, a friend bought me 5 boxes in payment for a small job so prob got them for £60.  I reload for approx 36p/shot not taking into account the equipment & brass.
    1 lb powder £40                      - 7 p per shot
    40 grain v max £25/100            - 25p per shot
    1000 small rifle primers £40     - 4p per shot
    Sorry for rubbing it in....:)

Sadly, most here don't have that facility.

One day, hopefully.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

Yes it would be great for a lot of shooters, ps just realised you're on the agbbs too.

Liam on there

'evening, Liam. :)

tac

Advertisement