Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer my pension to my Mam's, possible?

• 31-12-2016 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, first of I dunno if this is possible, but hopefully it can.
    I have about 10,000 eur in a DC pension from a company I was with in Ireland. I haven't been able to transfer to my UK pension for various reasons.
    Recently, while talking to my Mam, I found out she's about 4,000 eur deficit on her pension (I'm presuming it's a DB scheme).
    Is it possible to transfer my pension funds to my mothers? (Both Irish schemes, and possibly same company also, but one is DC, the other DB)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

No, it is not possible afaik.
    The pension is in your name. The only possibility of a "transfer" to someone else are pension adjustment orders by a court in connection with a divorce.
    See as well
    http://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/Information_Booklets/A_brief_guide_to_the_pension_provisions_of_the_Family_Law_Acts111.10512.shortcut.pdf

In case you die before taking the pension, your pension fund will become part of the estate and your mother can inherit it.
    Otherwise I am not aware of any other possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

arccosh wrote: »
    Recently, while talking to my Mam, I found out she's about 4,000 eur deficit on her pension (I'm presuming it's a DB scheme).

Is she in a public sector scheme where it's possible to purchase years of service? If not then where did the figure of €4,000 come from? If it's a private sector DB scheme then it's virtually certain that she will not be allowed to purchase service so more likely that she's in a DC scheme.

Either way, you cannot transfer from your fund to hers. She could consider putting money to her fund via AVC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

AVC is what she is doing. I'm not 100% sure of her scheme, so I don't know how they came to the deficit amount... thanks for the info though, was just hoping to help her get out of a bit of a hole with cash I can't go near or possibly won't be topping up.

Advertisement