Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Years and nothing on the telly

• 01-01-2017 12:21am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm at home with my former partner and the two of us are trying to find something worthwhile on the TV. Why is TV at New Years so poor? There seems to be very few - if any - special shows on, it's the usual tripe but at midnight I hope to see the fireworks display in London. It's always spectacular.

Are any of you in the same predicament? Is the s a conspiracy of the drinks/pubs industry to get everyone out tonight?:pac:

Anything worth watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So I'm at home with my former partner and the two of us are trying to find something worthwhile on the TV. Why is TV at New Years so poor? There seems to be very few - if any - special shows on, it's the usual tripe but at midnight I hope to see the fireworks display in London. It's always spectacular.

Are any of you in the same predicament? Is the s a conspiracy of the drinks/pubs industry to get everyone out tonight?:pac:

Anything worth watching?
    Maybe watch one of the old "home movies" you two made, just for old time's sake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Former partner? Sounds like a cracking night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Jools on the Beeb is about it. Very poor fare this year. On a sad note, just switched over to Sky News for a moment and it looks a pair of nutters are shooting people in a night club in Istanbul.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Birneybau wrote: »
    Former partner? Sounds like a cracking night

We're still extremely close. Why not?:)

Anywho, watching a documentary on James Bond and will ring in 2017 pulling a few leftover crackers. At 41, I've left my going out in town on NYE days well behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Switch on BBC2 and watch Jools Holland Hootenany. Some great musicians and singers on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

robbie williams live in build up to london fireworks is about it by looks of it. misses asleep on the couch and iv a JD in hand. quietest new years ever for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Hootenanny actually has a really good line-up this year. Love the bit where they do the countdown and pretend the show wasn't prerecorded some time in November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Head out ta ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

We're still extremely close. Why not?:)

Anywho, watching a documentary on James Bond and will ring in 2017 pulling a few leftover crackers. At 41, I've left my going out in town on NYE days well behind.

You, former partner, pulling left over crackers. There's a joke in there somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

KungPao wrote: »
    Maybe watch one of the old "home movies" you two made, just for old time's sake?

A ride for old times sake, have you been plying her with wine all night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

What do you mean? You've a wealth of options such as the hipster sh1t Jools Holland is pushing on BBC2 and the RTE new year special featuring a bloke who left Fair City 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Pulp fiction on channel 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

The big lebowski starting on film4 +1 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ah lads. Tis New Years.
    Have a hug.
    Have a kiss.
    Have a shag.
    Don't mind the telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

There was sweet fack all on this year, don't remember as sheeite a new year's TV offering. Luckily we had some bits downloaded but even still were heading for bed well before 2017 arrived. Only awake now cos the 2 year old woke up screaming the little fecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Theres nothing on? where do you live? The eighties? download something or watch netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

That RTÉ show was desperate ! Mixing it up between Robbie on bbc1 and hootenanny on BBC 2. Not great but better than Rté.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    What do you mean? You've a wealth of options such as the hipster sh1t Jools Holland is pushing on BBC2 and the RTE new year special featuring a bloke who left Fair City 8 years ago.

:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No chance of a ride for old times sake. He's just gone to bed, feeling a cold coming on.

The paper hats in Xmas crackers have got so tiny and mean.:( Fireworks in London, usually superb, were less spectacular this year I feel. Watching Jools On Beeb 2. There's F all else on. No way would I watch RTÉ - it's all about misery in Montrose. I suspect that's the case because they are all out and getting sozzled on Dom Perignon on their bloated salaries.

Happy New Year AHers...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

tanko wrote: »
    Pulp fiction on channel 5.

Reservoir Dogs straight after. Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Suas11 wrote: »
    :confused:

Chaka Khan, Ruby Turner, ABC, UB40, Imelda May must be all in with the hipsters!:pac:

Good Hootenanny. Christine And The Queens are great and that other French band were pretty cool too. Oh and that Gregory Porter has a fantastic voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

No chance of a ride for old times sake. He's just gone to bed, feeling a cold coming on.

The paper hats in Xmas crackers have got so tiny and mean.:( Fireworks in London, usually superb, were less spectacular this year I feel. Watching Jools On Beeb 2. There's F all else on. No way would I watch RTÉ - it's all about misery in Montrose. I suspect that's the case because they are all out and getting sozzled on Dom Perignon on their bloated salaries.

Happy New Year AHers...:pac:

You're such a positive poster. I have never seen you get mad or angry with anyone, no matter what they say. Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We are currently witnessing terrestrial tv slowly tanking. They know they cant compete with on demand packages like netflix.
    RTE are laughing, they can show any old tripe and we have to pay for it like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

adox wrote: »
    Chaka Khan, Ruby Turner, ABC, UB40, Imelda May must be all in with the hipsters!:pac:

Good Hootenanny. Christine And The Queens are great and that other French band were pretty cool too. Oh and that Gregory Porter has a fantastic voice.

Stupid hat though...

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement