Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No ship fog horns?

Options
  • 01-01-2017 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭

What's the story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

You know I was only thinking about that earlier, wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Odd. One of the better traditions we have living near Dublin port.
    Probably a health and safety crackdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You probably need a permit now to touch your horn so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Vogons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I blame the church. Stole them for a profit.

No idea where they are but the OP didn't allude to anything tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Radar and new fangled navigation aides killed the foghorns. There was a good episode of Coast on the Beeb about them a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Stellaluna wrote: »
    Radar and new fangled navigation aides killed the foghorns.

Pretty much sail themselves these days, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ha! I meant at midnight on New Years! I live close to the sea and normally hear them sounding in. Didn't hear any this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Right! Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have definitely heard them in Clontarf in the last 6 months ... didn't realise there was a NYE tradition of them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is a real throwback to my childhood - when we got old enough to be let stay up till midnight, we all used to pile out onto the front steps of the house (quite a bit away from the coast!) to hear the foghorns in Dublin Bay blasting away.

Hadn't thought about it in literally years and years, but this year two different people mentioned them on New Year's Eve - and as I was in town at the time I listened out - but no sound.

I wonder is it completely a thing of the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I live close to the sea and I spend a most of my spare time in the bay or on the beaches. I hear them sounding all the time in fog, and sometimes five short blasts, usually means someones sailing in the middle of the shipping lane in traffic!

There's a huge tradition all over the world of boats sounding off at midnight on new years eve (the youngest crew member sounds the horn) but I didn't hear any this year. They were blasting away last new years eve... I mean a full year ago.

Advertisement