Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route help please

• 01-01-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Someone is asking me re driving from Limerick to Galway and am seeking a route without tolls etc.

They need to know exactly how to leave Limerick ie what signposting? The AA route gives road numbers not what is on the signs

Advice in simple terms appreciated..

Comments

Google maps has an option to tick if you want to avoid tolls.

Practically they just need to avoid the Shannon tunnel. There are no other tolls between Limerick and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not sure about AA Route Planner but if you use Google Maps it will give you both the road names and numbers.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They can head towards the coonagh roundabout, avoiding the tunnel as previously mentioned. After that, it's a pretty straightforward run to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone is asking me re driving from Limerick to Galway and am seeking a route without tolls etc.

They need to know exactly how to leave Limerick ie what signposting? The AA route gives road numbers not what is on the signs

Seriously, for the sake of €1.90 they are best take the tunnel, one wrong turn and any potential minimal saving is wasted on fuel driving around.

Any detour is longer anyway, requires many gear changes, braking accelerating etc. Which burn fuel and eats quickly into the €1.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Depends where in Limerick they are departing from. Anything on the North Side or City Centre and you wouldn't go through the tunnel. Just straight out towards Coonagh in the direction of the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What part of Limerick they are starting off from would help people. There is only one toll between Limerick and Galway and that is on the Limerick tunnel. Are they looking to avoid the tunnel or the motorway due to not having a full license?

The tunnel is pretty much irrelevant if you are starting out from north of the river. Need more information for a proper answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

elastico wrote: »
    Seriously, for the sake of €1.90 they are best take the tunnel, one wrong turn and any potential minimal saving is wasted on fuel driving around.

Any detour is longer anyway, requires many gear changes, braking accelerating etc. Which burn fuel and eats quickly into the €1.90.

Ah thanks but it is not the money; serious claustrophobia means no tunnels . The extra driving would be no problem,

Thanks everyone; will translate this and send it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

If it's just the tunnel and not the toll they want to avoid, the most hassle free way I think would be to use the motorway up until the listowel N69 exit which I think is just before the tunnel. Travel in towards the city from here using the Dock Road. Leave the city using the first bridge onto the Condell Road and rejoin the motorway then having avoided the tunnel. Any other route might have them on country roads or could hit town at the wrong time for traffic. Obviously they would need to not miss the right exit for getting off or there could be a problem but I would think this is the easiest way of getting through without going through the tunnel.

As mentioned earlier, if I had a rough idea where they were departing from, could give a better route maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ah thanks but it is not the money; serious claustrophobia means no tunnels . The extra driving would be no problem,

Thanks everyone; will translate this and send it on.

It only takes 20-30 seconds to drive through the tunnel and there's daylight visible at the far end before you enter so mightn't be too big a problem for someone with claustrophobia, it's quite wide, very short and mightn't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

From where are they departing in Limerick? Tunnel only makes sense if travelling from Cork/Waterford/Kerry or the east of the city.

• Advertisement

From where are they departing in Limerick? Tunnel only makes sense if travelling from Cork/Waterford/Kerry or the east of the city.

Coming in from Kerry .. and the mere mention of a tunnel..I have never been anywhere beyond Limerick bus station so am lost.

Just need what signs ie names to follow...

JohnDozer wrote: »
    If it's just the tunnel and not the toll they want to avoid, the most hassle free way I think would be to use the motorway up until the listowel N69 exit which I think is just before the tunnel. Travel in towards the city from here using the Dock Road. Leave the city using the first bridge onto the Condell Road and rejoin the motorway then having avoided the tunnel. Any other route might have them on country roads or could hit town at the wrong time for traffic. Obviously they would need to not miss the right exit for getting off or there could be a problem but I would think this is the easiest way of getting through without going through the tunnel.

As mentioned earlier, if I had a rough idea where they were departing from, could give a better route maybe...

That sounds clever. Driving overnight to avoid heavy traffic .. Great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Coming in from Kerry .. and the mere mention of a tunnel..I have never been anywhere beyond Limerick bus station so am lost.

Just need what signs ie names to follow...

In which case you will probably be coming on the N69. Follow JohnDozer's directionsabove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

That sounds clever. Driving overnight to avoid heavy traffic .. Great!

Where did he mention driving overnight?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How does the thought of a tunnel cause claustrophobia when the person will be traveling in a little car the whole way anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm not sure exactly how I came across as suggesting an overnight drive to avoid traffic was what I was suggesting. What I meant if travelling from castletroy to the Ennis road at lunchtime or evening it could take an hour plus to cross town versus 10 minutes via the tunnel. That's all.

Anyway, coming from Kerry via Adare continue in the motorway and take the Galway exit. Travel towards the tunnel and take the listowel foynes N69 exit. Follow the signs for Limerick City until you come to a roundabout at a bridge and follow signs for Ennis. Follow this until you rejoin the dual carriage away near Bunratty castle.

Alternatively, you could take the coast road via Foynes and Glin and take some of the motorway out of the equation. You will continue straight until you come to the roundabout at the bridge in Limerick City. Similar journey time.

And no toll so no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If coming from Kerry then use the Dock Road into the city, turn left and go over the Shannon bridge and out the Condell Road. When you get to the Coonagh roundabout take the second left exit and that will bring you straight back onto the N18 Shannon/Ennis/Galway road beyond the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Why not take the ferry from Tarbert to Killimer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

An File wrote: »
    How does the thought of a tunnel cause claustrophobia when the person will be traveling in a little car the whole way anyway? :confused:

I know a few people who will not use the tunnel for the same reason. Phobia"s can be difficult to understand by someone not affected by that phobia.

Try a flat tyre in the runnel on the Caha Pass.... and any tunnel is closed in, Not disputing my friend's needs, Want him to enjoy the Mizen Head to Maiin Head run

• Advertisement

Try a flat tyre in the runnel on the Caha Pass.... and any tunnel is closed in, Not disputing my friend's needs, Want him to enjoy the Mizen Head to Malin Head run

leakyboots wrote: »
    Why not take the ferry from Tarbert to Killimer?

Cost and timing..

Thanks everyone. As soon as someone mentioned adare etc I remembered I myself had been to Glenstal Abbey and it fell into place... He has gone and is delighted,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

leave limerick over the bridges to bunratty onto shannon onto ennis onto gort straight to labane clarinbridge oranmore galway 60 miles

Advertisement