Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting Question

Options
  • 01-01-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I'm a tennent and I am considering subletting the spare bedroom in the house.

Few questions that I've searched but still confused by.

Although I know I need the landlords permission for this is the landlord under an obligation to be reasonable regarding this permission as I am still taking full responsibility for the rent?

Does this give the landlord an opportunity to amend the rent or lease? I am not due for a rent review for 16 months and want to keep it that way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

It gives the landlord the opportunity to give you your marching orders.
    Im sure if you ask him can you sublet he will feel he is taking on people who he has not vetted and does not know.
    Also he rented just to you, not to you and whoever you feel like you would like to rent to.
    So if you ask him, he may feel he is entitled to a significant cut of the extra income generated from his property.
    So make him an offer and see what he says. But be up front and open with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    I'm a tennent and I am considering subletting the spare bedroom in the house.

Few questions that I've searched but still confused by.

Although I know I need the landlords permission for this is the landlord under an obligation to be reasonable regarding this permission as I am still taking full responsibility for the rent?

Does this give the landlord an opportunity to amend the rent or lease? I am not due for a rent review for 16 months and want to keep it that way?

LL is under no obligation at all to allow subletting unless your lease allows for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don't know any landlord that would let you sublet their property and not benefit from it. Am I reading It correctly? You want to sublet and keep all the money made? What if the person you sublet it to damages the house? Why didn't the landlord rent that room before now? Does your lease mention subletting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

pc7 wrote: »
    I don't know any landlord that would let you sublet their property and not benefit from it. Am I reading It correctly? You want to sublet and keep all the money made? What if the person you sublet it to damages the house? Why didn't the landlord rent that room before now? Does your lease mention subletting?

I am renting the full property currently, had assumed any damage would be my responsibility.

Upon googling I appear to be using the term sublet incorrectly. I basically want to rent the spare bedroom out in the property I am renting. A lodger basically not someone going on the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Same thing.
    And with the new rules now for renting, your landlord is much better off getting the full amount for two rooms with full occupancy than charging you for one person, who gets an income from the other room for himself.
    If I were you I would approach your landlord with an offer.
    Include what extra rent you will be paying him as his share and how much you will be charging the lodger.

He's not charging me for one person currently. I am just renting a 2 bed property but I understand what you are saying. Probably won't bother in that case only way I'd consider loosing my privacy would be if I had someone covering half of the rent. If he's taking a cut I'll just stay as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    He's not charging me for one person currently. I am just renting a 2 bed property but I understand what you are saying. Probably won't bother in that case only way I'd consider loosing my privacy would be if I had someone covering half of the rent. If he's taking a cut I'll just stay as is.

The LL can't increase the rent beyond the existing rules for increases. So any agreement will be to give permission or deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You can always ask the LL. You could even offer to give him a bit extra.
    Won't hurt to ask.

Advertisement