Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore East,summer holidays with kids?

Options
  • 01-01-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Planning summer holidays(already!!) and fancy going Wexford/Waterford direction. Dunmore East looks like a nice spot with a lovely beach.We have 2 kids aged 4 and 2 so would like to be near a beach and driving distance to a pool.Tramore seems about 15 mins away so thats no problem.Is there anything else around that area to keep young kids like ours occupied.If the weathers good,the beach will keep us going but just in case it rains. Or any towns/villages worth checking out for self catering options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are lots of things in Tramore to entertain the children, Runamuk - childrens indoor adventure activities, a beautiful beach, the swimming pool, the funfair area with rides for young children, nearby is a petting farm and a the little heritage railway http://www.wsvrailway.ie/. There is a lovely walk at Annestown, with fairy doors to keep the children interested http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Anne-Valley-Walk/687/.

I would suggest nearer to Tramore would be more suited to small children, Dunmore East is very pretty but it is on the estuary and while people do swim in the sea there I always feel that the open coast is more appealing. It also gets extremely busy in the summer and on a nice day can be pretty much inaccessible.

If you are looking for self catering I suggest you consider http://www.newtowncove.com/ which is a bit out of the town, though in a very nice area, rather than the sites in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks for that. That Newtown Cove looks to be a caravan and camping park while we'd prefer a self catering house. I'll keep looking around that general area though.If anyone can recommend a self catering house,feel free to PM me,thanks

I think you would have to go onto google for houses, if you find something you like the look of come back and ask, we can probably tell you if it is in a good area. I think you would be more likely to find an apartment than a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daughter of

Dunmore East is beautiful with lots of beaches. Good weather is needed, a lot of self catering holiday homes available. Plus it's only a 20 minute drive to Tramore if the weather is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

Few months too late but if your still planning trip to Sth East I would definitely recommend Dunmore East over Tramore any time every time. Tramore is grand for arcades and amusements but the kids will have you fleeced in no time as it's bloody expensive. Also I have never come across a place so full of dog sh1t on the foothpaths it's not even funny. Absolutely disgraceful. Can be very crowded on Summer days and parking is a pain.

Dunmore on the other hand is lovely and quiet. Nice places to eat (and the chipper up from the Anchor is very tasty!) and beach is lovely plus the little coves dotted around are quiet. Nice walks in the woods and fishermans cove holiday homes are not too pricey. Tramore is only a few minutes away for the kids for the fun so they won't be missing out.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    fishermans cove holiday homes are not too pricey .
    Unfortunately I would disagree there. Any of the holiday homes I enquired were at least €800 for a week. To me,thats very pricey. Still haven't booked anywere but will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

toby2111 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I would disagree there. Any of the holiday homes I enquired were at least €800 for a week. To me,thats very pricey. Still haven't booked anywere but will keep an eye out.

Wow. Ok fair enough, that is very pricey. Last time we stayed there 2 yrs ago we paid 550 for the week.

Wailin - could you pm me the details of who you booked with 2 years ago please? I'll try contact them to see if they've availability. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Wailin wrote: »
    Few months too late but if your still planning trip to Sth East I would definitely recommend Dunmore East over Tramore any time every time. Tramore is grand for arcades and amusements but the kids will have you fleeced in no time as it's bloody expensive. Also I have never come across a place so full of dog sh1t on the foothpaths it's not even funny. Absolutely disgraceful. Can be very crowded on Summer days and parking is a pain.

Dunmore on the other hand is lovely and quiet. Nice places to eat (and the chipper up from the Anchor is very tasty!) and beach is lovely plus the little coves dotted around are quiet. Nice walks in the woods and fishermans cove holiday homes are not too pricey. Tramore is only a few minutes away for the kids for the fun so they won't be missing out.

Kids will bore of Dunmore after 24 hours. Tramore offers more in terms of stuff to do. Dunmore is so overrated, I don't get it at all. Its a nice place to go to for the day I guess.

Kids will bore of Dunmore after 24 hours. Tramore offers more in terms of stuff to do. Dunmore is so overrated, I don't get it at all. Its a nice place to go to for the day I guess.

I agree with this, I don't get it. Its pretty but gets packed with cars in the summer and I can't help but be aware that the sea goes through the harbour to the swimming areas in one direction, and down from Waterford in the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There is plenty to do in Dunmore for kids.

There is great swimming and fishing, rock pooling spots, the adventure centre in the harbour with Kayaking, tennis courts, park to play football etc in. Lots of places to go on walks and explore in a safe little town.

I certainly was never bored there as a kid. Tramore is not far away for a visit to the amusements or the pool if the weather is bad or to try out some surfing.

Both places have their pluses but there is are great spots for adults too in Dunmore and its so small you can walk anywhere in 15mins if you wanted to go or a pint or a meal in the evening.

Advertisement