Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now

Options
  • 01-01-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not allowed to be discussed.

I noticed on the Currys Irish site they are selling NOWTV . It seems like a good alternative for us to Netflix. I will pay for the monthly passes.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/now-tv-box-with-3-month-entertainment-pass/334977/397.3.1

Does anyone know if it works in Ireland? If so do you just simply plug it in?
    Thanks a million.
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's an odd one, it works in Ireland and is not geoblocked (or rather the geoblocking applied is ROI friendly) but Sky do not market it here and have been known to cancel accounts where it becomes aware the account holder is ROI based.

Interestingly Ireland is the only one of Sky's five markets where a service along the lines of Now TV is not offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thank you for your reply.
    The weird thing is, amazon ship here no problem unlike the fire stick!
    If I order now tv do I just plug it and register? I don't have a satellite dish or an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Millem wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    The weird thing is, amazon ship here no problem unlike the fire stick!
    If I order now tv do I just plug it and register? I don't have a satellite dish or an aerial.

The best way of keeping Sky from bothering you is to register with a UK address. There's no way of avoiding the registration as its part of the setup process. If buying, I'd advise buying from Amazon as you can buy it with a package, either Entertainment or Movies. A Sports package is expensive. I won a 1-day Sports Pass last July and activated last Monday. To be honest, the quality of their stream was a disappointment. Have seen better from illegal streams.

If you do buy it with a package, make sure you avail of the free 14-day pass the have with the Entertainment & Movies, before activating the pass that comes with the box.

The best way of keeping Sky from bothering you is to register with a UK address. There's no way of avoiding the registration as its part of the setup process. If buying, I'd advise buying from Amazon as you can buy it with a package, either Entertainment or Movies. A Sports package is expensive. I won a 1-day Sports Pass last July and activated last Monday. To be honest, the quality of their stream was a disappointment. Have seen better from illegal streams.

If you do buy it with a package, make sure you avail of the free 14-day pass the have with the Entertainment & Movies, before activating the pass that comes with the box.

Thanks a million. I want it really for kids things. Is it instant like netflix? Or does it take ages like finding a stream on firestick through kodi?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The best way of keeping Sky from bothering you is to register with a UK address.

No, you need to pay Now using a UK credit card. Otherwise, it's not Sky that will bother you, Now will close your account and give you a refund i.e. a polite PFO. The first few digits (I think it's 6) of your credit card tells anyone who wants to know the name of the bank who issued the credit card and Now will cancel your account once they figure out that you are based on the ROI regardless of what address you claim to live at - UK or ROI. That's what happened me last year when I registered with a UK address (but paid with my Irish credit card) to watch the US Open golf, they closed my account by Saturday.

Argos Ireland offered the Now box about a year ago, clearly they didn't know that Now doesn't want business from anyone in the ROI and you'd have to suspect that they had to take the boxes back and give refunds after people here had their accounts closed after a couple of days.

My guess is that Virgin Media have an exclusive agreement with Sky which states that VM is the only company in the ROI who can offer non-satellite (i.e. cable or internet) access to Sky Sports. In turn, this means that the agreement between Sky and Now in the UK precludes Now from taking any business from customers in the ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't eir and Vodafone offer sky sports too?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't eir and Vodafone offer sky sports too?

Of course, you're correct. For whatever reasons, Now TV doesn't want any business in the ROI. If I'm wrong I will be delighted, please feel free to correct me on that one.

Last year I had to create an Apple userid with a UK address to even get Now TV on my Apple TV.

Who can sign up to NOW TV?

Anyone aged 18 or over living in the UK (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands) can sign up to use NOW TV.

https://watch.nowtv.com/terms

coylemj wrote: »
    No, you need to pay Now using a UK credit card. Otherwise, it's not Sky that will bother you, Now will close your account and give you a refund i.e. a polite PFO. The first few digits (I think it's 6) of your credit card tells anyone who wants to know the name of the bank who issued the credit card and Now will cancel your account once they figure out that you are based on the ROI regardless of what address you claim to live at - UK or ROI. That's what happened me last year when I registered with a UK address (but paid with my Irish credit card) to watch the US Open golf, they closed my account by Saturday.

Argos Ireland offered the Now box about a year ago, clearly they didn't know that Now doesn't want business from anyone in the ROI and you'd have to suspect that they had to take the boxes back and give refunds after people here had their accounts closed after a couple of days.

My guess is that Virgin Media have an exclusive agreement with Sky which states that VM is the only company in the ROI who can offer non-satellite (i.e. cable or internet) access to Sky Sports. In turn, this means that the agreement between Sky and Now in the UK precludes Now from taking any business from customers in the ROI.

Thanks for all that info. My credit card is tesco bank. Would that be a uk card or Irish card?

Millem wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info. My credit card is tesco bank. Would that be a uk card or Irish card?

Is the address on the account in the UK or ROI and what currency is the card denominated in - GBP or EUR?

No.

Firstly, Eir and Vodafone both offer Sky Sports. No such exclusive agreement exists and in any case why would Sky sign an agreement limiting their ability to market their own channels.

Secondly, Now TV is Sky. It's not a separate entity. A seperate platform sure, but the same company.

My own view is that Sky believes the penetration of the pay-TV market in Ireland is such that there's no need to offer a PAYG platform like Now TV. Compare with all of Sky's other markets where FTA is the main way of TV delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Been using it well over 12 mths with an Irish card. No problems whatsoever

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Been using it well over 12 mths with an Irish card. No problems whatsoever

Same here. And I & family have Nowtv boxes set up with Irish credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really not quite sure why people post "advice" as if its fact which is complete nonsense.

Really not quite sure why people post "advice" as if its fact which is complete nonsense.

I understand your point but I registered with an Irish credit card, they took my money and I was able to access Sky Sports for two days, then they cancelled my account with no explanation and refunded my money.

Argos briefly sold the Now box here then withdrew it.

And the Now TV website says you have to reside in the UK. See post #8 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Never had a problem using it here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I understand your point but I registered with an Irish credit card, they took my money and I was able to access Sky Sports for two days, then they cancelled my account with no explanation and refunded my money.

Fair enough. My apologies.

Did you register with a UK address?

Is the address on the account in the UK or ROI and what currency is the card denominated in - GBP or EUR?

My credit card is registered to an Irish address. When I pay though i get put through to Scotland do thought it might work!!!

Did you register with a UK address?

Yes I did, I had no choice. Just now I went into their website and started the process of applying for a Sky Sports pass. The 'country' field offers you either 'UK' or 'Channel Islands' and you are required to enter a valid UK postcode.

I don't know if the same applies to the other options you can purchase but the only option I would ever want to purchase is a 7 day sports pass to watch the golf majors.

Yes I did, I had no choice. Just now I went into their website and started the process of applying for a Sky Sports pass. The 'country' field offers you either 'UK' or 'Channel Islands' and you are required to enter a valid UK postcode.

I don't know if the same applies to the other options you can purchase but the only option I would ever want to purchase is a 7 day sports pass to watch the golf majors.

From what you say, it seems to me that getting a pass from Ebay Uk is your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I use an Irish visa debit without issue. I have an account since the birth of now using my old sky id as user i.d.

Great service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Thinking of signing up to this. They have a deal for 3 months entertainment package for £3 at present.

So u need to use a UK card and a UK address? Would a revolt card qualify as a UK card?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

doxy wrote: »
    Thinking of signing up to this. They have a deal for 3 months entertainment package for £3 at present.

So u need to use a UK card and a UK address? Would a revolt card qualify as a UK card?

good thinking - I have one of those

There is (again) no discussion of circumventing regional restrictions here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The irish website has vanished

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Also posted this in online TV but there's a few threads about this so adding here to as it's relevant.

Interestingly if you wander around their help section there is a how to apply voucher section and if you scroll down the price of the Entertainment voucher listed there is 9.99 as opposed the complete gouging 15 quid price they decided to go with. At some stage a more reasonable price was in the cards but their base tendencies to gouge Paddy got the better of them.

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/how-to-apply-or-enter-voucher-code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's a pity the Now TV app is not available in ROI on Smart TVs when its available in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Can you apply a pass code bought in the UK to an irish account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Schwanz wrote: »
    Can you apply a pass code bought in the UK to an irish account?

Extremely unlikely they'd leave that loop hole open but sure give it a go

Advertisement