Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I watched the entire season on Showtime before Sky got it.

Did you actually sign up to a six month contract? Usually they offer 6 months half price but you can cancel after the first month. Happy to be corrected but I thought the advantage of Now was that it's only a month you purchase at a time and no contract as such

That’s possible, it seemed cheap enough to take a punt and see what else was on there anyway. Annoyed I’ve watched 2 episodes of this and not going to get to watch more though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

quokula wrote:
    That’s possible, it seemed cheap enough to take a punt and see what else was on there anyway. Annoyed I’ve watched 2 episodes of this and not going to get to watch more though

Id image it will be on Sky (but not Now) for a while. Most likely sky have the rights for the next year or so. This means its unlikely to be available elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

quokula wrote: »
    FFS I just signed up to Now yesterday, with a 6 month contract since it was half price, specifically to watch Your Honor which is all over their advertising, and now I’m into the service it says the show is only available until 3rd June, i.e. today

Anyone know where I can continue watching it after?

It also says episode 1 will be available again tomorrow, so full series should still be there. This seems to be Now’s way of extending beyond initial ‘watch until’ dates.

xebec wrote:
    It also says episode 1 will be available again tomorrow, so full series should still be there. This seems to be Now’s way of extending beyond initial ‘watch until’ dates.

It's been extended till 5th December 2024!
    Plenty of time to watch a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I don't understand why Now does this - they frequently flag a programme as having only X days left only for the programme to remain after that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Im sitting here watching my Now TV thinking

It's 2021, I really cannot believe I still cannot get a 1080p picture.

I have an Nvidia shield so it will upscale to 4K(well kinda) if I just got a 1080 picture.

trying to watch F1 at 720 @ 25FPS on a 4K tv is Painful. I've had to resort to some dodgy Fox sports 506 channel to get 1080 60FPS for the F1

I just don't get it.

flexcon wrote:
    It's 2021, I really cannot believe I still cannot get a 1080p picture.

I get it with the boost pass. I really don't understand why they don't introduce it to Ireland. Its an extra 3 pounds per month in their pocket.

On another note, it's shocking that they charge 3 pounds for full HD when it's standard for all other streaming channels. In fact many provide HDR & 4k at no extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The main reason is that sky know people will do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I get it with the boost pass. I really don't understand why they don't introduce it to Ireland. Its an extra 3 pounds per month in their pocket.

On another note, it's shocking that they charge 3 pounds for full HD when it's standard for all other streaming channels. In fact many provide HDR & 4k at no extra cost

Am I right in saying, both HD and 4K come as no extra cost on Amazon Prime, but Netflix charge extra for both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

galtee boy wrote: »
    Am I right in saying, both HD and 4K come as no extra cost on Amazon Prime, but Netflix charge extra for both ?

Yes

Netflix Basic pack is Standard Digital and 1 screen
    Netflix Standard pack is HD and 2 screens
    Netflix 3rd pack HD, UHD and 4 screens

Prime
    HD, 4k UHD Included in original pack

Disney
    HD, 4k UHD included in ORIGINAL pack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Amazon only have one plan, and large chunks of people are getting Prime Video for free with something else anyway (either a full Prime sub or one of the twelve month free trials eir have been giving to all their broadband customers- they offered me a second twelve month free trial recently, but I’m planning on leaving them and have a full Prime sub now anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

icdg wrote: »
    Amazon only have one plan, and large chunks of people are getting Prime Video for free with something else anyway (either a full Prime sub or one of the twelve month free trials eir have been giving to all their broadband customers- they offered me a second twelve month free trial recently, but I’m planning on leaving them and have a full Prime sub now anyway).

Fair play to Amazon Prime, just a pity their catalogue isn't as big and extensive as Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Fair play to Amazon Prime, just a pity their catalogue isn't as big and extensive as Netflix.

Prime is getting better the whole time I find, just navigating around as has been mentioned here a lot is main issue I have. Find now that we use it for films the whole time.

NOW is what we have been using for TV shows lately and come to think of it can't remember last time we have watched something on Netflix and yet compared to other 2 paying double the price!!!

Never pay full price for NOW be my advise as wouldn't be worth 15 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Changes ahead next month in the UK and I would presume they will happen here too

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1447164/NOW-TV-update-new-price-entertainment-cinema-sports-boost

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Hopefully so handy to get Kids free with Entertainment!

My ones can nearly turn it on themselves with the remotes NOW have very user friendly..

Changes ahead next month in the UK and I would presume they will happen here too

5 pounds for boost! Jasus it kills me to pay 3 pounds for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wouldn't hold your breath.

Ireland is normally treated very differently to the UK when it comes to offers.

Also only being able to stream on no more than one device unless you pay for the boost option is bad news for busy households.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Now is "hoping" to launch HD Boost here this year, but no confirmed date yet.

https://twitter.com/NOW_Ireland/status/1400012080942571523

It might be happening at the same time as the changes that macker posted about a few days back. Or it might not. That's what makes Now fun; the thrill of not knowing :)

NuMarvel wrote:
    Now is "hoping" to launch HD Boost here this year, but no confirmed date yet.

It's going up to 5 pounds next month. That's going to be around 6.00 euro here. Maybe 6.50 euro. Not cheap for full HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

bugsyb4 wrote: »

Kids seems to be included now with Entertainment. It's letting me watch the Live kids channels and I only have an Entertainment pass

• Advertisement

I signed up for the Sky Sports pack, 19.99 a month for 6 months

Think the offer ends at the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bugsyb4 wrote: »

It quite often happens that certain entertainment results in kids ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Whoops, just read the other articles linked here, didn't spot that they are trying to up the Boost to 4k eventually, at some point.

It still feels like madness that it maxes out at 720p here though, the default base should really be 1080p!

I'm sorely tempted to ditch my Sky box and just go for a Now sub instead with the Entertainment package, but will have to see what shakes out after Boost gets introduced here....

Using the Firestick 4k for watching Now and you can see a little difference in streaming quality

Sky Sports streaming quality 4829

Premier Sports Streaming quality 4831

Sky News Streaming quality 4831

Sky Sports Demand 4838

I got Sky Sports half price for 6 months, 19.99 per month and took out a day pass on Premier Sports for the Celtic match the other night.

At the moment you can view on 2 devices the same time and you can share with your friend.

You can register 6 devices for watching the app, but only view two at the same time.

I'm happy enough with the viewing quality, would like to see a slight improvement with Sky Sports Streaming quality, 4831 the same as Premier Sports would be perfect.

TV is a 65"

Screen settings on Cinema

Very happy with the Service.

My take on Now and the lack of full HD is I believe a lot of their viewers are on cell phones, tablets or pcs. Picture quality isn't quite as notable on small screens. I think Sky believe that home cinema fans would rather the full Sky Q experience.

I don't think so.

Now is aimed at a different market.

I have Saorview and Freesat, I'm only interested in sport, so subscribing to Sky Q would be of no benefit.

I also have the option to take out a day pass for sports, as a shift worker this suits me fine.

Also, Now scrapped the mobile phone only package for Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have a 55” LG OLED and I’d be very fussy about picture quality and now tv is more than acceptable, Netflix and Disney 4K are superb but for the sports and lack of being tied into a sky contract it’s an excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I have to admit that when I tried the service briefly, if someone hasn't told me it wasn't 1080p, I don't think I'd have even noticed! (also on a 55 inch LG OLED here). But it just annoys me that Sky are being super stingy in this regard. All other streaming services offer 1080p *at least* and all at a cheaper price (apart from Netflix). I remember that when I first signed up to Sky many moons ago, you had to pay for their boxset catch-up service in order to get HD channels, and the last time I looked into Sky Q it requires you to pay for multi-room in order to get UHD (not sure if thats still the case or not).

For the price I'm paying, my Sky box is looking less and less attractive (with so many services offering catch-up apps as well), so I'll wait to see what happens when/if this Boost service arrives in Ireland. But I'm hoping the "Boost" brings things to 4k and the default will become 1080p instead.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

Advertisement