Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Trip for Christmas 2017

Options
  • 01-01-2017 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

After not the best Christmas in Ireland this year, I am seriously considering a trip to Bali or similar over solo for Christmas 2017. I'd like to book this before the end of January and don't mind that it will cost a bit. I'm female and in my mid-thrities, has any had any experience of a similar trip or give any advice on this as a potential option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

northgirl wrote: »
    After not the best Christmas in Ireland this year, I am seriously considering a trip to Bali or similar solo for Christmas 2017. I'd like to book this before the end of January and don't mind that it will cost a bit. I'm female and in my mid-thrities, has any had any experience of a similar trip or give any advice on this as a potential option?

Approximate date of 23/12/17 - 31/12/17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Do you want to do a completly independent trip or join a group tour? I have done both over Xmas. Intrepid is a good tour company for group trips...i've done trips to Egypt and Kenya/tanzania on safari with them, both over xmas. This christmas i went to Zanzibar independently.

Just a note you won't be able to book flights for xmas until around March - you normally can't book more than 330 days in advance. There's also no real advantage booking so early - i booked my flights in about May i think as i got a good deal. Like holidaypirates on facebook and keep an eye on flight deals they post online - you should be able to get a good price to somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

mel.b wrote: »
    Do you want to do a completly independent trip or join a group tour?

I'm not entirely sure I think it will be location dependent. Thanks for the advice. I've followed holiday pirates now and will keep an eye on that. Having done both solo and tour, would your own preference lie with either over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

northgirl wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure I think it will be location dependent. Thanks for the advice. I've followed holiday pirates now and will keep an eye on that. Having done both solo and tour, would your own preference lie with either over the other?

For christmas, my preference is a group trip - you're with others and it can be good fun. In egypt we did a kris kindle where we could spend no more than €2 in the markets...the barginning to try & get the best present was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Based on your dates id say Bali is a little far for such a short time but if you go to the right places you'll meet a lot of people around your age. I meet a lot of people in Sri Lanka in there 30s which was good, seems to be a nice age profile going there at the moment. Ubud, Srminyak, Uluwatu or Gili Meno in Bali also tend to attract a bit of an older crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement