Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My old Opel Corsa van 90 SO 142

Options
  • 01-01-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I used to own the above Corsa, it was a blue old shape van model, I owned it in County Mayo around 1999-2000, it was sold after that and believe that it stayed in the Mayo region, but I can't be sure on this.

A history report shows it wasn't scrapped, and it's last tax disc expired at the end of January 2002. Does anyone on here know this car? It'd be very similar looking to the one in the attached pic, except it's a van. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I used to own the above Corsa, it was a blue old shape van model, I owned it in County Mayo around 1999-2000, it was sold after that and believe that it stayed in the Mayo region, but I can't be sure on this.

A history report shows it wasn't scrapped, and it's last tax disc expired at the end of January 2002. Does anyone on here know this car? It'd be very similar looking to the one in the attached pic, except it's a van. Thanks.

I'd imagine if its still in that part of the world its been used in a productive way. Sure why would you want to scrap a perfectly good hen house :D

All joking aside, this is a question I come across on a regular basis, "where is my ......." In fairness your chances are remote to none in finding it intact. Other than yourself, no one else will have an emotional attachment to that vehicle, which was a basic, cheap, utility commercial vehicle, which would have been worked until it could work no more and then would have been used as a donor to keep another one going.

In reality your best thing to do, is to enjoy your memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Dont give up hope, it may resurface from some shed in years to come :)

It appears to have had 3 x owners. Were you the third owner?
    http://www.carsireland.ie/add.php (Pop in the reg number and scroll down)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'd bet my house it was scrapped.
    Being a van it will have been worked much harder than the average car, and those Corsas were never valuable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As already posted it's highly unlikely to have survived, sorry. Even if not officially scrapped and recorded as such, it'll be a hen house, dumped in a field, plugging a gap or broken up.

To give an idea of the rate at which cars disappear off the roads here is data from the UK on the Vauxhall Nova.
    https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/vauxhall_nova

1994: 414,602 left
    2002: 71,687 left
    2016: 5,100 (with 4,600 of those SORN) left. Numbers fairly stable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Thanks for the replies folks, said I'd wait a while before replying myself to give the thread a fresh bump, but I imagine at this stage it's well gone alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

As I said before, never-say-never, it could be stashed away in a shed somewhere and turn up in a few years..unlikely, but you never know! :)

Would you consider buying or importing a similar van?

I owned a 1985 Kadett diesel van (white) back in 1994. It was a great workhorse and I will consider sourcing a similar van in the future (or importing a similar Vauxhall / Bedford Astra van).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A friend of mine was making a delivery to a shed in farmyard in Mayo a few years back and couldn't believe it when he spotted a Ferguson TE20 tractor in the corner of the shed that his father has sold over 40 years previously. He recognised it by the reg from old photographs at home. He managed to buy it back from the owner and returned it to his elderly father who was delighted to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Silvera wrote: »
    As I said before, never-say-never, it could be stashed away in a shed somewhere and turn up in a few years..unlikely, but you never know! :)

Would you consider buying or importing a similar van?

No, as this one had sentimental value, nothing special besides about it apart from that

Advertisement