Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fees

Options
  • 01-01-2017 2:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm looking to have a house built this year. Problem is that our Architect is seeking to charge 10% of building costs. On the basis of probably having to pay out over 60k on percentage model, how flexible are architects about negotiation ? At that rate, I think it is probably cheaper to employ an architect full time with 5-8 years experience . Is it practical to look to architects in the north?
    Thanks,

By the way, he is quoting a qs as being 11k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

What services are they providing for that figure? If you are saying that the building cost is €600k then it pays to ensure you spend the money wisely. Do you want to use this architect based on what you have seen of their previous work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What size is the gaff: 350 sqm or so
    What exactly are you getting for your 60k?
    What's the exact spec: are you getting PH spec or even ZC or CN or just basic Part L

Any need for structural engineering advice?

I think 10% is a bit heavy, especially when he is asking 11k for his pal the QS and maybe another 10k for the structural engineer.

However, it depends on the exact detail

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I switched from an Architect who was charging 11% on the build cost on a smaller house to a firm which charges a flat rate. Plus got QS estimates done for €800, not the 2-3% charge I'd expected. Pays to shop around, PM me if you want the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I'm looking to have a house built this year. Problem is that our Architect is seeking to charge 10% of building costs. On the basis of probably having to pay out over 60k on percentage model, how flexible are architects about negotiation ? At that rate, I think it is probably cheaper to employ an architect full time with 5-8 years experience . Is it practical to look to architects in the north?
    Thanks,

By the way, he is quoting a qs as being 11k.

This figure is very high for the QS fees on a domestic project. I personally am completely opposed to % fees and advise all clients to shop around as there is no reason why these should not be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kkelliher wrote: »
    This figure is very high for the QS fees on a domestic project. I personally am completely opposed to % fees and advise all clients to shop around as there is no reason why these should not be fixed.

kk,
    I agree with the idea of a fixed fee: However in all cases, the client needs to know what he is getting for his fee, fixed or %.
    This applies especially now in the domestic case if client is going for BCAR and the question of site visits occurs.

Its a pity the OP has gone off the thread, maybe it was just a turkey inspired rant!:D
    Happy new year to you!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

kk,
    I agree with the idea of a fixed fee: However in all cases, the client needs to know what he is getting for his fee, fixed or %.
    This applies especially now in the domestic case if client is going for BCAR and the question of site visits occurs.

Its a pity the OP has gone off the thread, maybe it was just a turkey inspired rant!:D
    Happy new year to you!

Agree Completely and best wishes in return.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

thanks for all the advice and apologies for not getting back. From what i reviewed the quote is based upon the standard 4 stages: Initial design, develope design, detail design and construction. Anyhow, advice seems that Architects do negotiate.

All the best

Advertisement