Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child health insurance

• 01-01-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi all not sure if this is in the correct section.

Is it possible to get health insurance for my son only without getting health insurance for myself. Can't seem to find that option on any if the insurance company websites. I have no interest in taking out insurance for myself but I would like to have it as a safeguard for my young lad, he's 18months old and in perfect health and hopefully he would never need it but the added security of it would be great!

Thanks

Darren

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not 100% sure but if I remember rightly you have to have one adult on the policy. Your best bet is to phone them as opposed to trying to sort it online. I've found that online is grand for most stuff but if you need to do anything that isn't exactly straightforward, then phone is the best option. I can't imagine you're the only person who's wanted to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Have you considered that your your own continued good health (therefore access to healthcare) might be the better security for your child? Just a different way of looking at it

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just thought of another work around for this; you can have different levels of cover for each person on a policy, so you could take one out with the lowest possible (and therefore cheapest) cover for you, and then have your child on the policy with a better level of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Have you considered that your your own continued good health (therefore access to healthcare) might be the better security for your child? Just a different way of looking at it

Agreed but unfortunately I cannot afford to insure myself also at this moment and my son will always take priority over me !

Agreed but unfortunately I cannot afford to insure myself also at this moment and my son will always take priority over me !

My children will always take priority over me. However, I've had health issues and access to good healthcare meant I've been able to continue providing for my family. It's a sideways method at doing the best for your child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

My children will always take priority over me. However, I've had health issues and access to good healthcare meant I've been able to continue providing for my family. It's a sideways method at doing the best for your child

It's what is financially viable at the moment! 1 income household with mortgage so if I can get it for just him I will be happy!

It's what is financially viable at the moment! 1 income household with mortgage so if I can get it for just him I will be happy!

One of the health insurers (don't know which) is offering free cover to kids of policyholders. So you could both get cover for 1 premium

Advertisement