Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 taget pistol

Options
  • 01-01-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Well lads . Iam hoping to get into. 22 pistol shooting just looking for some advice on what guns and applying for licence and stuff . I am looking at the Walther ppq m2 in .22 .. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Browning buckmark, Ruger Mark 3 & hammerli properly the three most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

My license recently came through 6 months after applying so it's not a quick process in my experience. You also must be a member of a licensed pistol range so add another €300 or so on to the price of the pistol. You will also need insurance about €40 or so and in my case the FO insisted I had a separate safe for the pistol away from my rifle safe so that's another €100 or so. So all in all you could add €500 to the price of the pistol just to get you on the road as such. Another stumbling block I hit was the RFD I bought from had to import the pistol for me so this added a month on to the process. He couldn't apply for an import permit until he had a copy of my actual license to accompany the import paperwork. It took 3 weeks for the import permit to come through and then another week for the pistol to be brought to my RFD. So in short patience and money seem to be the two requirements you will need plenty of.

For the first three years of licencing a pistol you won't have change out of €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sako.17

Thanks for the reply's .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You'd be better off joining a club and seeing do you like the sport in the first place. I have seen a lot of people jumping in and buying pistols and all the kit, only to discover how much practise is involved to get halfway decent. Then there are the idiots who join a club and buy a pistol "just to have one". What the hell they "just want to have one" for is anyones guess, but something i frown on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

First thing that needs to be asked before any pistol recommendations is, what kind of pistol shooting do you have in mind?
    The other thing I'd say is the PPQ would not be a top of the list pistol for any form of accurate pistol shooting. You def wont be getting PPQM2 model as they are centerfire pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sako.17

Wadi14 wrote: »
    First thing that needs to be asked before any pistol recommendations is, what kind of pistol shooting do you have in mind?
    The other thing I'd say is the PPQ would not be a top of the list pistol for any form of accurate pistol shooting. You def wont be getting PPQM2 model as they are centerfire pistols.

The dealer I was speaking too called it an m2 in .22

Wadi14 wrote: »

Yup, a woman in our club had a walther ppq and was having difficulties in getting a group. I tried shooting it off a rest for her and it was like a shotgun pattern, holes all over the target. Completely inconsistant. The same test with a ruger mk2 lead to a small group.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Sako.17 wrote: »
    The dealer I was speaking too called it an m2 in .22

He's close they look very similar but the M2 is centerfire and the PPQ22 is as it says on the tin .22. what type of target shooting have you in mind

The walther is made by umarex the airgun manufacturer afaik. They were only designed as plinkers and are made of plastic and pot metal. The rugers are much better pistols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Please,please just don't buy a handgun just because you like the look of it.. There are many people that bought 1911's and regretted it soon after.

I started with a Fenwerkbau AW93 the best pistol I have ever shot. There is nothing bad I can say about the AW93.

Next was a S&W model 22. I found the trigger to vague and just sold it on ASAP.
    Next was the Hammerli Xesse. good all round pistol but I couldn't take to it. It's is one of the better pistols to buy and there are a lot of people using them. This would be one for your list.
    Next was the Ruger target. Great feel in my hand and another one for your list. A friend replaced the trigger and it made a good handgun great.

My problem was I started with one of the best target handguns on the market and everything else just didn't meet up to the AW93.

The latest handgun I have shot was the Grand Power K22 XTrim. It has come as close to what I want in a 22 handgun now. I can shoot a 40mm group @10m using the open adjustable sights, I don't see as well these days. And before you laugh that is good for me. With a red dot sight fitted I shot 20mm @10m.
    It has ambidextrous slide hold open, safety, and mag release. This will be my next pistol buy in '17

405216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Come to a club and hold, look at and try shoot as many as you can.
    I've a Walther that sits in the cabinet along with revolvers, I shoot my ruger and 87t over them.

I disagree with the issue of having one to have one, if you want it and your following the law do as you please.

But they're fun money pits!!

A couple of others, the cz kadet, why on earth cz stopped making these is anyones guess, a really nice pistol. The smith and wesson model 41, expensive, but well made.

It's a bastard to load the mags on the cadet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you want a good reliable .22 you cant go wrong with Ruger mk1to4 or the Browning Buckmark. As said here ,go join a club and shoot any and everything in the armoury until you find one that really speaks to you as the ideal gun.
    Then see about importing it direct yourself from wherever..It isn't that difficult a job to do and you do not actually need to go via a dealer to import it either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Don't overlook revolvers either, thats what i shoot. S&W and ruger make some really nice wheelguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

gunny123 wrote: »
    Don't overlook revolvers either, thats what i shoot. S&W and ruger make some really nice wheelguns.

Revolvers limit the types of competitions that you can shoot.

It all depends on what type of shooting that you want to do.

Advertisement