Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potted plants for porch

Options
  • 01-01-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for what to plant in large pots either side of my front door, in my open porch area. Looking for something with a bit of height if possible, but not super tall! Not keen on the usual bay trees. It's an east facing position. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One possibility would be Sarcococca / sweet box / Christmas Box. It has attractive small glossy dark green leaves, a sweetly scented white flower in winter followed by red or black berries. It would be fine in a shaded spot, can be shaped and is generally easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

How about bonsai? They can be tricky, but I think they're worth it.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you said tall. I missed that. I guess Bonsai are the opposite of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume you mean the porch is unheated?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

i assume you mean the porch is unheated?

Yes, should have clarified. It's not an enclosed porch, it's slightly sheltered but outdoors. Will bonsai survive outdoors in Ireland??

Yes, if they are the appropriate trees, for example a bonsai oak, birch etc would be happier outside, though you might have to protect the roots in very cold weather as they are only in shallow dishes. Bonsai need every day attention though - you cannot neglect them at all. They are hobby plants, and very demanding ones at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

looksee wrote:
    Yes, if they are the appropriate trees, for example a bonsai oak, birch etc would be happier outside, though you might have to protect the roots in very cold weather as they are only in shallow dishes. Bonsai need every day attention though - you cannot neglect them at all. They are hobby plants, and very demanding ones at that.

Bit too much hassle for me then, as lovely as they are!! I have seen small Photinia red robin trees in containers, look good and much more colourful than your usual bay/buxus etc...

What about dwarf japanese acers, do they do well in East facing location?

Most of the japanese acers prefer a sheltered site, as in woodland, I would not recommend them for that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Though not exactly what you might be looking for in (initial) height, have a look at Thuja occidentalis Rheingold.
    I've had 2 of them in a similar porch setting for more than 10 years, the colour changes through the year are really lovely, they're slow growing in pots and not too demanding as long as they don't dry out too much.

Recently replaced them with the beautiful clumping Cordyline Cha Cha. Again, not tall plants but beautiful multi-coloured leaves.

Advertisement