Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan independence referendum, 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Akrasia wrote: »
    If they know its only a minority, why not do an officially sanctioned referendum without the police repression and opposition boycott?

We've been over this already. The means to hold a referendum already exists within the Spanish constitution however the existing Catalonian government decided to break their own parliamentary rules because they couldn't get a majority within their own parliament. They pressed ahead with an illegal referendum which they then left in the hands of a group of volunteers to administer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You can't compare Ireland to Catalonia.
    We have been doing it throughout this thread, and there are some very interesting parallels. The main difference is that Catalans have been far more peaceful about it, and have waited until they could show a democratic majority.
    But then it is 100 years later, and things are usually done differently nowadays.
    Even the fact that Scotland got to legally hold an independent referendum demonstrates this.
    It demonstrates that the UK has learned a lot in 100 years, but Madrid has learned nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We've been over this already. The means to hold a referendum already exists within the Spanish constitution however the existing Catalonian government decided to break their own parliamentary rules because they couldn't get a majority within their own parliament. They pressed ahead with an illegal referendum which they then left in the hands of a group of volunteers to administer.

Which does not actually answer the question asked

The answer is simple. When the Catalonian government can pass an independence bill in their own parliament they can call an referendum on independence.

recedite wrote: »
    We have been doing it throughout this thread, and there are some very interesting parallels. The main difference is that Catalans have been far more peaceful about it, and have waited until they could show a democratic majority.
    But then it is 100 years later, and things are usually done differently nowadays.

It demonstrates that the UK has learned a lot in 100 years, but Madrid has learned nothing.

How can they have a democratic majority when they don't have a majority in their own parliament?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How can they have a democratic majority when they don't have a majority in their own parliament?

Tell us, what was the parliamentary vote for independence, both yea and nah votes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The majority of people in Catalonia don't want independence. But the police were bad.

It's impossible to know whether this was the case, because the police were bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

All over Catalonia, in the majority of cases, either people participated in the "referendum" or police removed the ballot boxes without any incident. In some parts of Catalonia police clashed with protesters which everyone agrees shouldn't happen. However, many of the images we've seen that they have been proven to be fake, not all of them but many of them. The problem is that people are allowing these incidents to cloud their judgement and are basing their opinions on their emotions rather than facts and rather than dealing with the facts they keep referring back to these incidents to justify their ill informed opinions. So when people say that the majority of people both in Spain and Cataluña don't want independence or that the Minority Catalonian government broke their own parliamentary rules to call a referendum in the first place, pro independence advocates scream outrage at the brutal Franco regime in Madrid suppressing democracy or some other exzaggerated claims as if people in Cataluña we're living in some type of apartheid regime.

Every other Western European democracy would have done exactly the same as the Spanish government did by implementing 155. What other country would allow a minority of people try to impose their ideology on the majority and break up their country?

Spot on.

Spot. on.

The answer is simple. When the Catalonian government can pass an independence bill in their own parliament they can call an referendum on independence.

Again, this does not answer the question posed

The pro-independence parties do have a majority in their own parliament

• Advertisement

Tell us, what was the parliamentary vote for independence, both yea and nah votes?

Whereby the Catalonian statutes requires a two thirds majority, and almost half he delegates walk out in protests? I don't know please tell me?

It's impossible to know whether this was the case, because the police were bad.

Whether the police were there that day or not, the referendum was illegal and administered by a group of volunteers with no legal oversight. The results and turn out are meaningless because people who are against independence wouldn't have participated in a referendum which they considered to be illegal the first place. You may as well have asked them to conduct a twitter poll, it would have had more oversight and the equivalent legal recognition.

The pro-independence parties do have a majority in their own parliament

Nonsense, it's a minority government.

Nonsense, it's a minority government.

It looks like you do not know the difference between parliament and government :pac:

It looks like you do not know the difference between parliament and government :pac:

It looks like you're clutching at straws by trying to split hairs. Reality is you cannot come up with an argument for independence other than the phoney referendum.

Question
    Akrasia wrote: »
    If they know its only a minority, why not do an officially sanctioned referendum without the police repression and opposition boycott?

Answer

Question

Answer

I'm sorry if facts don't agree with your confirmation bias but if you keep asking the same question the answer is not going to change.

It looks like you're clutching at straws by trying to split hairs. Reality is you cannot come up with an argument for independence other than the phoney referendum.

You have just demonstrated ignorance

....snip......

No answer to the question posed, you are just spoofing now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No answer to the question posed, you are just spoofing now

I am confused , what is the question ?

You have just demonstrated ignorance

When all else fails attack the poster, all the while you have yet to cite a valid, factual reason for Catalonian independence other than romanticise about the parallels of Irish independence and Cataluña which don't exist to begin with.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »

Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post

When all else fails attack the poster, all the while you have yet to cite a valid, factual reason for Catalonian independence other than romanticise about the parallels of Irish independence and Cataluña which don't exist to begin with.

You have just demonstrated your ignorance of parliamentary majority for a topic and government...

They don't even know themselves. They're just trying to run the thread into the ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post

But surely you know that is not how government institutions work . If it was we would be having referendums all over the democratic world every day of the week on every kind of issue .

There is a constitutional mechanism in place to implement a referendum , why not at least go through that first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

But surely you know that is not how government institutions work . If it was we would be having referendums all over the democratic world every day of the week on every kind of issue .

There is a constitutional mechanism in place to implement a referendum , why not at least go through that first ?

A Spanish wide referendum you mean? So ask turkey's to vote for Christmas? Hypothetically, what would you suggest Catalonia do if it was gauged that there was near unanimous support for independence and the right to self-determination, yet Spain forever deemed it illegal and the "constitutional mechanism" forever prevented it from happening?

A Spanish wide referendum you mean? So ask turkey's to vote for Christmas? Hypothetically, what would you suggest Catalonia do if it was gauged that there was near unanimous support for independence and the right to self-determination, yet Spain forever deemed it illegal and the "constitutional mechanism" forever prevented it from happening?

1. Over 90% of people voted in favour of the Spanish constitution

2. Self determination does not apply to The "people" of Catalonia

Exactly what I've been saying for the past few pages but the same posters refuse to accept these basic facts.

Bear in mind that the same poster you responded to said this about me
    You have just demonstrated your ignorance of parliamentary majority for a topic and government...

1. Over 90% of people voted in favour of the Spanish constitution

2. Self determination does not apply to The "people" of Catalonia

Mate, you've already bored the hole off me after reading some of your posts. I've addressed the above two points 50 pages ago, so go and find them if you want an answer. Other than that, keep regurgitating the same robotic points others already made 30 pages ago. I think the poster in question can answer for themselves, I'm actually interested in their opinion

Mate, you've already bored the hole off me after reading some of your posts. I've addressed the above two points 50 pages ago, so go and find them if you want an answer. Other than that, keep regurgitating the same robotic points others already made 30 pages ago. I think the poster in question can answer for themselves, I'm actually interested in their opinion

50 pages later and your facts are still wrong. The real facts are that 90% of the people of Catalonia voted in favour of he Spanish constitution, the democratic means for a vote on Catalonian independence exists. If a minority of people in Cataluña and Spain are upset because other people don't want to be forced into living in ideological country or breaking up an existing one then that's tough. They don't have a democratic means to even pass a vote in their own parliament to allow them to call an election in the first place. They can't even get past the fist most basic hurdle.

I'm sorry if the facts don't agree with your confirmation bias.

• Advertisement

50 pages later and your facts are still wrong. The real facts are that 90% of the people of Catalonia voted in favour of he Spanish constitution, the democratic means for a vote on Catalonian independence exists. If a minority of people in Cataluña and Spain are upset because other people don't want to be forced into living in ideological country or breaking up an existing one then that's tough. They don't have a democratic means to even pass a vote in their own parliament to call an election in the first place. They can't even get past the fist most basic hurdle.

I'm sorry if the facts don't agree with your confirmation bias.

Cool story. As I said, the poster can answer for themselves.

Advertisement