Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan independence referendum, 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

So it a Parliamentary election as opposed to a presidential election as you suggested?

No.
    The parliament has been elected the 25th of Sept 2015.
    The president has been elected the 10th of January 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

bertie 56 wrote: »
    No.
    The parliament has been elected the 25th of Sept 2015.
    The president has been elected the 10th of January 2016

Read my previous post.

Read my previous post.

I did, but you were editing while I was answering !!! :D

So it was a Parliamentary election as opposed to a presidential election as you suggested? This victim mentality that the independent movement has adopted is not working because your arguments don't stand up to scrutiny.

You suggest that Carles Puigdemont is the elected President of Catalonia as if all the people of Catalonia had voted for him .

???
    I suggested nothing !
    You say few times " Puigdemont hasn't been elected "
    I answered few times : " You are wrong , he has been elected "

The way it works for electing a president in Catalonia is different as the way the Irish President is elected, hence your difficulties to understand.
    The Parliament was elected the 25th of Sept 2015 by the people .
    And then, the Parliament has elected Puigdemont the 10th of January 2016 with a majority.
    Please note that Puigdemont has already been elected by the people as member of the Parliament. His political party did reach 40% of the overall number of votes. ( the second party was with 18% ).
    That is the way it works to elect the President in Catalonia. I think it's pretty fair, but , of course, you could prefer the Irish way, I have no problem with that.
    Still, nobody can say that it is not a fair and democratic way .

The way Soraya Sáenz de Santamaria arrived in power as President is way different.
    Coming from Madrid , coming from a minority party in Catalonia ( 8% of representation ), she hasn't been chosen or elected at all .
    And therefore, she is not recognize by the vast majority of Catalonia as the legitimate President.
    To make it short : a coup d'etat. ;)

You cannot pick and choose the parts of the Spanish Constitution which allows Puigdemont to be President but cry foul when those rules allow Soraya Sáenz to be president.

This is the whole issue with the independence movement, they want to pick and choose the rules to suit their side of the argument and when the results don't go their way they scream oppression.

Well, of course you can ! Without trying to be victim or whatever you are saying...
    They are not the same " rules " anyway ! One is about elections, the other one is the 155 ... :D:D:D
    Nobody is rejecting the full Spanish Constitution...

The same way the pro-choice groups here are asking for the modification of the Irish Constitution. They don't reject the full Constitution, do they ??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, of course you can ! Without trying to be victim or whatever you are saying...
    They are not the same " rules " anyway ! One is about elections, the other one is the 155 ... :D:D:D
    Nobody is rejecting the full Spanish Constitution...

The same way the pro-choice groups here are asking for the modification of the Irish Constitution. They don't reject the full Constitution, do they ??? :rolleyes:

So you're not rejecting the Spanish constitution by making a UDI and declaring Catalonia as an independent country?

So you're not rejecting the Spanish constitution by making a UDI and declaring Catalonia as an independent country?

Well, personnally, I'm not, I haven't make any UDI myself !

But I suppose the point of view of the people who did this UDI is the following :
    " The Spanish Constitution is for the Spanish people , let's have our own Catalan Constitution for us, Catalan people "
    You will have to talk with them to be sure !
    But they definitively reject the monarchy system anyway .
    They certainly think that the Republic system is more democratic .( but you have the right to think the opposite ! ) ;)

In case some people around have still doubts about Rajoy :

( yesterday morning declaration )

Rajoy regrets his road losing its Francoist name: "I don't know why they removed it"

http://www.elnacional.cat/en/news/rajoy-road-losing-franco-name_217455_102.html

In case some people around have still doubts about Rajoy :

( yesterday morning declaration )

Rajoy regrets his road losing its Francoist name: "I don't know why they removed it"

http://www.elnacional.cat/en/news/rajoy-road-losing-franco-name_217455_102.html

Is this the Catalan version of removing confederate monuments? You're just revealing your bias by making small arguments are referring to Franco at every opportunity. The street was not named after Franco but a Naval officer who served during that period.

You are not a victim. Get over it.

???
    I suggested nothing !
    You say few times " Puigdemont hasn't been elected "
    I answered few times : " You are wrong , he has been elected "

The way it works for electing a president in Catalonia is different as the way the Irish President is elected, hence your difficulties to understand.
    The Parliament was elected the 25th of Sept 2015 by the people .
    And then, the Parliament has elected Puigdemont the 10th of January 2016 with a majority.
    Please note that Puigdemont has already been elected by the people as member of the Parliament. His political party did reach 40% of the overall number of votes. ( the second party was with 18% ).
    That is the way it works to elect the President in Catalonia. I think it's pretty fair, but , of course, you could prefer the Irish way, I have no problem with that.
    Still, nobody can say that it is not a fair and democratic way .

The way Soraya Sáenz de Santamaria arrived in power as President is way different.
    Coming from Madrid , coming from a minority party in Catalonia ( 8% of representation ), she hasn't been chosen or elected at all .
    And therefore, she is not recognize by the vast majority of Catalonia as the legitimate President.
    To make it short : a coup d'etat. ;)

The entire country of Spain elected the PP and Soraya Sanez, that includes Catalonia. Just because you don't like the fact that 155 has been enacted does not make it illegitimate. You cannot get to be referee and simultaneously refuse to play by the rules. The independence movement know there was a risk that 155 would be enacted but pressed ahead anyway. They stepped outside the rule of law and it blew up their face, you cannot cry foul when you break the rules and then events don't go your way. That's like stealing from the cash register and then saying how unfair it is when you boss finds out and you get fired.

All of your posts have just been attempts to muddy the waters with half truths because you don't want to discuss the facts and would rather throw around statements about "unelected" presidents, and use words like Franco and fascism.

The independence movement has lost. It was badly managed, badly led and it has been out-maneuvered. Their leadership overplayed their hand and forced other countries within the EU to pick sides. The upcoming elections will finish them off.

• Advertisement

All of your posts have just been attempts to muddy the waters with half truths because you don't want to discuss the facts

I don't accept that from you. All information in my posts have been double-checked and can be easily re-checked if needed. Please contact me if you have any doubt.

I don't think we can say the same about your side : " President no elected " , " majority/minority mix " , " Catalonia has always been Spanish ", " no boycott ", " most of the people living in Catalonia are originally from Puerto Hurraco", etc, etc ... all these ideas you have that could have been checked by a couple of clicks in Google before being posted here.
    And I won't talk about your confusion between the Change of Statute in Catalonia and the Constitutional Reform in Spain :rolleyes:
    The entire country of Spain elected the PP and Soraya Sanez, that includes Catalonia.

Facts: ( last Congress general elections )
    - PP has been elected with 33% of votes at a national level . Not a majority then ( majority starts at 50% :D )
    - PP got 13 % of votes in Catalonia , arriving in 5th position.
    If you count by number how many votes from Catalonia went for the PP at a national level, you arrive at 1.93 % . Less than 2% ...
    So , yes, you are right, Catalonia did elected PP , but a bit weakly, I would say ... :rolleyes:

( I haven't counted the way you do ( based on all registered voters ), I would have arrive to 1.27 % :p )
    The upcoming elections will finish them off.

So far, the majority of the polls are putting the independentists as the major political force in the country...

Is this the Catalan version of removing confederate monuments?

Wrong again.Catalonia has nothing to do with this. Marin is in Galizia ( it's written in the article ...) . Decision made locally 15 years ago ( PP did vote against it ) following a Spanish law.

This law has been pushed by the PSOE ( Span.soc ), unsuccessful attempt to be blocked by the PP ( Conserv.Right ) .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Memory_Law

PS : Galizia is a bit far from Catalonia. At the other side of the peninsula , in fact...

The street was not named after Franco but a Naval officer who served during that period.

Read his biography, it is interesting. 4000 civilians bombed in one shot under his command , not bad . But hey, that was the war , you are gonna say ! :-)

I don't accept that from you. All information in my posts have been double-checked and can be easily re-checked if needed. Please contact me if you have any doubt.

I don't think we can say the same about your side : " President no elected " , " majority/minority mix " , " Catalonia has always been Spanish ", " no boycott ", " most of the people living in Catalonia are originally from Puerto Hurraco", etc, etc ... all these ideas you have that could have been checked by a couple of clicks in Google before being posted here.
    And I won't talk about your confusion between the Change of Statute in Catalonia and the Constitutional Reform in Spain :rolleyes:

Facts: ( last Congress general elections )
    - PP has been elected with 33% of votes at a national level . Not a majority then ( majority starts at 50% :D )
    - PP got 13 % of votes in Catalonia , arriving in 5th position.
    If you count by number how many votes from Catalonia went for the PP at a national level, you arrive at 1.93 % . Less than 2% ...
    So , yes, you are right, Catalonia did elected PP , but a bit weakly, I would say ... :rolleyes:

( I haven't counted the way you do ( based on all registered voters ), I would have arrive to 1.27 % :p )

So far, the majority of the polls are putting the independentists as the major political force in the country...

This is what I'm talking about, suggesting that PP only got 2% of the vote at a national level is just spreading misinformation hoping that anyone reading his who wasn't familiar with the situation in Spain would that you misinformation as fact.

Pushthemoney and his party didn't get a majority in Catalonia but you seem to accept them as being democratically elected but in the same breath you refuse to accept PP as being democratically elected because they haven't got an overall majority in Spain???

Interesting :

Some of the Catalan laws suspended by the Spanish Constitutional Court over the past few years:

1- Law against evictions. This law forbade banks from evicting people facing social exclusion from their houses.
    http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20171025/432351037471/tribunal-constitucional-suspende-ley-catalana-desahucios.html

2- Law against energy poverty. This law forbade electric power companies to cut off electricity to the houses of people living below the poverty line.
    http://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20160531/tribunal-constitucional-suspende-parte-ley-catalana-emergencia-social-5170369

3- Law for effective gender equality. This law guaranteed equal rights for women and men in harassment cases and at work.
    https://www.ara.cat/societat/TC-tomba-part-dIgualtat-catalana_0_1663633823.html

4- Anti-fracking law.
    https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/el-tribunal-constitucional-tomba-ara-la-llei-catalana-que-prohibia-el-fracking/

5- Anti-bullfighting law.
    http://www.publico.es/politica/tc-anula-prohibicion-toros-catalunya.html

That is 5 more reasons for Catalonia people to get their own freedom ...

[I[/I]
    This is what I'm talking about, suggesting that PP only got 2% of the vote at a national level is just spreading misinformation hoping that anyone reading his who wasn't familiar with the situation in Spain would that you misinformation as fact.

No.
    People usually read the thread .
    And usually twice before reacting.

Second line : " - PP has been elected with 33% of votes at a national level "
    Fourth line : " - If you count by number how many votes from Catalonia went for the PP at a national level" .

The only way to get confused is if you don't read it...

Pushthemoney and his party didn't get a majority in Catalonia but you seem to accept them as being democratically elected but in the same breath you refuse to accept PP as being democratically elected because they haven't got an overall majority in Spain???

Facts :
    #1248 + #1295 ( last paragraph)

[I[/I]

No.
    People usually read the thread .
    And usually twice before reacting.

Second line : " - PP has been elected with 33% of votes at a national level "
    Fourth line : " - If you count by number how many votes from Catalonia went for the PP at a national level" .

The only way to get confused is if you don't read it...

So the PP are not the largest part in Catalonia, they're also not the largest party in other parts of Spain but overall at a national level they are the largest party which is why they are in government.

Why is this so difficult to understand and how is it an argument for independence?

So the PP are not the largest part in Catalonia, they're also not the largest party in other parts of Spain but overall at a national level they are the largest party which is why they are in government.

Why is this so difficult to understand and how is it an argument for independence?

???

Since it's me who explain you this, it's not difficult for me to understand it...
    And no, your sentence itself is not an argument for the independence, I never said that ...

???

???

Since it's me who explain you this, it's not difficult for me to understand it...
    And no, your sentence itself is not an argument for the independence, I never said that ...

???

But why do you think it's ok for the independence movement not to have a majority in Catalonia but it's not ok for PP not to have a majority. Neither party has a majority but you accept one as leigitimate when you agree with their side of the argument. You don't see any hypocrisy in this?

The fact is that PP are the largest party in Spain who are upholding the Spanish constitution and have implemented direct rule to stop a minority movement at a national level from breaking up the country of Spain.

But why do you think it's ok for the independence movement not to have a majority in Catalonia but it's not ok for PP not to have a majority. Neither party has a majority but you accept one as leigitimate when you agree with their side of the argument. You don't see any hypocrisy in this?

You are getting stuck and therefore confused ...

Once for good :

Facts :

Parliament of Catalonia :
    135 seats
    68 seats are needed for having an absolute majority.
    Independence movement in Catalonia = 72 seats
    Result : absolute majority

Congress of deputies of Spain :
    350 seats.
    176 seats are needed for having an absolute majority.
    PP = 123 seats
    Results : minority

I hope we are done for good with these endless explanations from my part about what is a majority and what is not !!!

But to be honest, whatever results have the PP in Spain is not relevant for Catalonia anyway... What is important to know is that PP, minority nationally, is even a weaker minority among Catalan people ( 11 seats out of 135 ) .

PS : All data facts are freely available for check with Google....

• Advertisement

You are getting stuck and therefore confused ...

Once for good :

Facts :

Parliament of Catalonia :
    135 seats
    68 seats are needed for having an absolute majority.
    Independence movement in Catalonia = 72 seats
    Result : absolute majority

Congress of deputies of Spain :
    350 seats.
    176 seats are needed for having an absolute majority.
    PP = 123 seats
    Results : minority

I hope we are done for good with these endless explanations from my part about what is a majority and what is not !!!

But to be honest, whatever results have the PP in Spain is not relevant for Catalonia anyway... What is important to know is that PP, minority nationally, is even a weaker minority among Catalan people ( 11 seats out of 135 ) .

PS : All data facts are freely available for check with Google....

Whether you like it or not, Catalonia is still part of Spain and Rajoy is the President no matter how much your mathematics don't add up. You think just because his political party doesn't have a strong representation in certain constituencies that somehow the election results don't apply to you. PP are the largest party in Spain, they are the largest party in every territory except Catalonia and the Basque Country. In Ireland, Fine Gael are the largest party and like PP they didn't get and outright majority. There are also parts of Ireland where Fine Gael are a minority party but they still formed a government and Leo Varadkar is the Prime minister. That's how politics works, just because you don't like the results does not change the outcome.

I notice how you use the term "independence movement" to describe the coalition of political parties in Catalonia but refer to PP in isolation. None of the political parties in Catalonia have a overall majority but again you are being disingenuous by referring to the "Independence movement" as having 72 seats as if it was one political party when you know that it is made up of a number of parties who formed a coalition some of whom have very different political ideologies.

When you say that 68 seats is an "absolute majority" you also know that this is represents a simple majority and that to pass any legislation on independence a two thirds majority is required but the "independence movement" broke their own rules when they decided to push ahead with the referendum and tried to pass legislation so that only a simple majority was required and once again breaking their own parliamentary rules.

As I said, if there was an absolute majority for independence then why can't they pass the legislation in their own Parliament without breaking the statutes of autonomy and what rights would Catalonia gain by being an independent country, you haven't been able to answer either of these questions?

Whether you like it or not, Catalonia is still part of Spain and Rajoy is the President no matter how much your mathematics don't add up.

" Catalonia is still part of Spain" : that is your view , but it is not the one of the majority of Catalans, once again...
    " your mathematics don't add up " : I'm waiting for yours ...
    I notice how you use the term "independence movement" to describe the coalition of political parties in Catalonia but refer to PP in isolation. None of the political parties in Catalonia have a overall majority but again you are being disingenuous by referring to the "Independence movement" as having 72 seats as if it was one political party when you know that it is made up of a number of parties who formed a coalition some of whom have very different political ideologies.

Since page 1 here, we are talking about the independent movement. We are at page 88 now...
    Yes, I'm aware that the independent movement is a union of political parties ( and social, and cultural, and civic, etc..as well .).
    And one political party is an union of different tendencies.
    And one tendency is a reunion of different individuals with different points of views . And then what ?
    That doesn't change the fact that all these people agreed one day on an idea and a program which was the independence. These people now are represented with the majority of seats in the Catalan Parliament. That's it !
    And more people again agreed on a program to set up a referendum.
    I don't think it is relevant to take only one independent party since the independence is a objective common with other parties .

But since you insist on that, let see the representation :

ONE independantist party : Junts pel Sí : - 62 seats

The ALL THREE unionnist parties :
    Ciutadans - 25 seats
    P. dels Socialistes de Catalunya - 16 seats
    Partit Popular - 11 seats
    That makes 52 seats

Conclusion is , if you take ALL unionists parties , PP and friends as you suggested, the unionists representation is still a minority compares to just ONE independent party ...
    These are facts, my friend.
    ( my post #1248 was giving already these information, by the way ... )

...to pass any legislation on independence a two thirds majority is required but the "independence movement" broke their own rules when they decided to push ahead with the referendum and tried to pass legislation so that only a simple majority was required and once again breaking their own parliamentary rules.

We've talked about it already and I told you to get information about the legal side of it.
    You don't seem to have done it, therefore it is useless that we talk about it again...( and again... )
    what rights would Catalonia gain by being an independent country, you haven't been able to answer either of these questions?

I, and other posters have answered to that already. Now if our answers is not what you want to hear, bad for you...
    Add my post #1305 to the answers already posted.
    . You think just because his political party doesn't have a strong representation in certain constituencies that somehow the election results don't apply to you.

I haven't say that. At all .
    The only thing I said is that, for me, the best representation of the country is someone that has been elected with 40 % of voters ( Puigdemont ) and not someone that hasn't been elected and represent 8% of voters ( Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría )

Now you have the right to think the opposite, no bother for me ( once you are not in power in my constituency ! :D )

you are being disingenuous by referring to the "Independence movement" as having 72 seats as if it was one political party

I trust the intelligence of people here who read the threads.
    I think they are well able to make the semantic difference between a independence movement and a political party. :rolleyes:

One thousand US and European academics demand release of Catalonia’s political prisoners .

... and more...

https://www.ara.cat/en/One-US-European-academics-Catalonias_0_1910209028.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=ara

" Catalonia is still part of Spain" : that is your view , but it is not the one of the majority of Catalans, once again...
    " your mathematics don't add up " : I'm waiting for yours ...

Not my my opinion but an objectionable fact until there is a democratic legal referendum in which all the citizens of Spain get to decide as per the constitution.
    bertie56 wrote: »
    Since page 1 here, we are talking about the independent movement. We are at page 88 now...
    Yes, I'm aware that the independent movement is a union of political parties ( and social, and cultural, and civic, etc..as well .).
    And one political party is an union of different tendencies.
    And one tendency is a reunion of different individuals with different points of views . And then what ?
    That doesn't change the fact that all these people agreed one day on an idea and a program which was the independence. These people now are represented with the majority of seats in the Catalan Parliament. That's it !
    And more people again agreed on a program to set up a referendum.
    I don't think it is relevant to take only one independent party since the independence is a objective common with other parties .

But since you insist on that, let see the representation :

ONE independantist party : Junts pel Sí : - 62 seats

The ALL THREE unionnist parties :
    Ciutadans - 25 seats
    P. dels Socialistes de Catalunya - 16 seats
    Partit Popular - 11 seats
    That makes 52 seats

Conclusion is , if you take ALL unionists parties , PP and friends as you suggested, the unionists representation is still a minority compares to just ONE independent party ...
    These are facts, my friend.
    ( my post #1248 was giving already these information, by the way ... )

This is just more waffle. Anyone can look up the number of seats in the Catalan parliament but fact remains that the independence parties cannot pass a two thirds majority in their own Parliament which is why the referendum was deemed unconstitutional.

We've talked about it already and I told you to get information about the legal side of it.
    You don't seem to have done it, therefore it is useless that we talk about it again...( and again... )

I, and other posters have answered to that already. Now if our answers is not what you want to hear, bad for you...
    Add my post #1305 to the answers already posted.

You've talked around it but have never been able to answer the questions. None of the posters here have been able to say what rights or freedoms they will gain by being an independent country that they don't already have as being part of Spain and a member of the European Union.

Another objectionable fact that you keep choosing to ignore and would rather spam this thread by copying and pasting percentages and number of seats and to talk about fascism and Franco, is that the Catalonian Statutes of Autonomy require a two thirds majority to pass a referendum on Catalonia independence which the pro independence parties do not have.
    I haven't say that. At all .
    The only thing I said is that, for me, the best representation of the country is someone that has been elected with 40 % of voters ( Puigdemont ) and not someone that hasn't been elected and represent 8% of voters ( Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría )

With all due respect, your opinion doesn't count.
    You want to apply a different set of criteria to Catalonia and people in favour of independence than for those who want to remain part of Spain. For example, how did you come up with the magic number of 40% as being an acceptable percentage to be president of Catalonia? Did you just decide that in the past five minutes or is it because it suits your argument at this point in time?
    Now you have the right to think the opposite, no bother for me ( once you are not in power in my constituency ! :D )

You are also not in power in your constituency that would be Soraya Sanez 😉

If the pro independence parties win the elections on the 21 December and have enough seats to pass a bill in the Catalan parliament by a two thirds majority which allows them to call a referendum on Catalan independence you won't have any objections from me. But until they get to that stage, they simply do not have a mandate for independence.

One thousand US and European academics demand release of Catalonia’s political prisoners .

... and more...

https://www.ara.cat/en/One-US-European-academics-Catalonias_0_1910209028.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=ara

"Don't confuse the truth with the opinion of the majority"

I trust the intelligence of people here who read the threads.
    I think they are well able to make the semantic difference between a independence movement and a political party. :rolleyes:

Because you know the best chance for Catalan independence is that people outside Spain remain ignorant of the facts.

Not my my opinion but an objectionable fact until there is a democratic legal referendum in which all the citizens of Spain get to decide as per the constitution.

Yep. Very democratic. At a point that it has been done this way in Scotland : all UK did vote. Or Gibraltar : all Spain did vote.
    And everybody found it normal and democratic.
    I'll go a bit more democratic than you, though : Since Spain is part of Europe, it will only be fair if every citizen of Europe votes for or against the independence of Catalonia ..
    What do you think ?
    Democratic at best, eh !
    If we ask him, Juncker might even find a European law somewhere talking about this...
    :D:D:D

Anyone can look up the number of seats in the Catalan parliament ...

Well, then do it, before posting...
    And since you asked for facts, I don't want to hear any complains now.:P
    the independence parties cannot pass a two thirds majority in their own Parliament which is why the referendum was deemed unconstitutional.

Wrong.

The referendum wasn't declared unconstitutional for this reason . Check it.

the Catalonian Statutes of Autonomy require a two thirds majority to pass a referendum on Catalonia independence which the pro independence parties do not have

Wrong again ! .

You'll need to read more than the line of Wikipedia that talks about it , to get the whole picture about the legal process . ( once again :rolleyes: ...)

For example, how did you come up with the magic number of 40% as being an acceptable percentage to be president of Catalonia? Did you just decide that in the past five minutes or is it because it suits your argument at this point in time?

It doesn't come from me, but from the Parliament of Catalonia who decided this at a majority of votes the 10th of January 2016.
    Not my idea, sorry.... :cool:

If the pro independence parties win the elections on the 21 December and have enough seats to pass a bill in the Catalan parliament by a two thirds majority which allows them to call a referendum on Catalan independence you won't have any objections from me.

Wrong again ! (no 2 )

Once again and again , that is not what is needed to have a legal referendum .
    Check again ...:rolleyes:

Because you know the best chance for Catalan independence is that people outside Spain remain ignorant of the facts.

You do insult the intelligence of the people outside Spain, and that is not nice .
    People are well able ( in general !!! ) to get information, and varying the sources to get an accurate vision of the problem.
    I'm surprise how pro-independence are ,in the vast majority , people that have a bit of interest in the subject. To add to this, there is far less " fachas " than in the peninsula .
    Talking back about Catalans, around 70 % of those living abroad have independentist affinity, for example.
    The fact that they often read in another language than the main formated Spanish stream helps a lot too.

• Advertisement

Yep. Very democratic. At a point that it has been done this way in Scotland : all UK did vote. Or Gibraltar : all Spain did vote.
    And everybody found it normal and democratic.
    I'll go a bit more democratic than you, though : Since Spain is part of Europe, it will only be fair if every citizen of Europe votes for or against the independence of Catalonia ..
    What do you think ?
    Democratic at best, eh !
    If we ask him, Juncker might even find a European law somewhere talking about this...
    :D:D:D

Well, then do it, before posting...
    And since you asked for facts, I don't want to hear any complains now.:P

Wrong.

The referendum wasn't declared unconstitutional for this reason . Check it.

Wrong again ! .

You'll need to read more than the line of Wikipedia that talks about it , to get the whole picture about the legal process . ( once again :rolleyes: ...)

It doesn't come from me, but from the Parliament of Catalonia who decided this at a majority of votes the 10th of January 2016.
    Not my idea, sorry.... :cool:

Wrong again ! (no 2 )

Once again and again , that is not what is needed to have a legal referendum .
    Check again ...:rolleyes:

Scotland is a country, Catalonia is not. The Scottish vote was sanctioned by U.K. Parliament the Catalan referendum couldn't even be sanctioned by the Catalan parliament.

Still waiting on answer to what rights Catalonia will have as an independent country and why can't the pro independence parties pass a 2/3 majority in their own Parliament?

Advertisement