Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan independence referendum, 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

Spain's High Court brings charges of sedition against all demonstrators:

http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20170922/431465405340/fiscalia-denuncia-sedicion-referendum-1-o.html

Wow they could hardly be doing any more to bolster the supporters of Catalan independence and pushing those on the fence into the yes camp if they tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If it is the will of the people in Catalonia then so be it. Put it to the vote.

But it's not? It's the minority of the population.

I want a united Ireland like, but I accept that my view is the minority opinion in the six counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I want a united Ireland like, but I accept that my view is the minority opinion in the six counties.
    When you say "minority of the population" do you mean the population of Spain, or the population of Catalonia?
    If you mean Spain, then your analogy falls flat on its face, because NI is a separate state.
    If you mean Catalonia, then the opinion polls linked a few posts back indicate that you don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What? Stop talking balls.

The majority of Catalans want Independence. What population are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The carry on in Madrid is hardly going to do anything but further strengthen the resolve of Catalans to achieve Independence.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

What? Stop talking balls.

The majority of Catalans want Independence. What population are you referring to?

This is an absolute myth. As for stop talking balls, which one of us here actually lives there and has a clue? It's clearly not you. What do you know of Catalan nationalism? Or anti independence sentiment amongst Catalans. Absolutely nothing, that's what.

If there was a legally binding referendum held tomorrow, the no vote would win hands down.

recedite wrote: »

When you say "minority of the population" do you mean the population of Spain, or the population of Catalonia?
    If you mean Spain, then your analogy falls flat on its face, because NI is a separate state.
    If you mean Catalonia, then the opinion polls linked a few posts back indicate that you don't know what you are talking about.

More absolute bollocks. The north is a self governing entity within the UK. You can argue it's a "country" or "state" all you want - it's no more separate than the autonomous community of Catalunya.

Opinion polls? We'd better ****ing run absolutely everything by opinion polls. I forgot Hilary Clinton was the president of the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

More absolute bollocks. The north is a self governing entity within the UK. You can argue it's a "country" or "state" all you want - it's no more separate than the autonomous community of Catalunya.

Opinion polls? We'd better ****ing run absolutely everything by opinion polls. I forgot Hilary Clinton was the president of the United States.

Actually the opinion polls in the US were correct. They showed Clinton winning by a small margin of a few percent and that is what happened. However she lost the election because the US election is decided by a voter college not the vote of the actual people.

Lots out on the streets tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Apparently Barca's answer to Patrick's Day today.

• Advertisement

Apparently Barca's answer to Patrick's Day today.

Barna. Barca refers only to the football team.

It's the Mercè - the annual city wide festival. Each district in the city has a "festa major" every year that goes on for a week or so. The Mercè is the equivalent for the whole city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Looks like a load of PP-style toss to be honest.

Regardless of whether people are convinced about Catalonia or not, one thing that is definite is that the reaction of the Spanish state has been nothing short of a disgrace. Talk about how the referendum is "unconstitutional" is a farce considering that constitution itself was a heavily fascist-influenced document specifically designed to prevent any form of self determination for Catalunya or Euskal Herria. The Catalonian government made umpteen petitions for a referendum which were shot down in Madrid, they are now using their local government machinery to hold the referendum and fair play to them.

In response to this mass exercise in democracy, the Spanish state has basically arrested people for sedition, beaten up people holding meetings, arrested those handing out leaflets and is now preparing to deploy the Guardia (a force up to its neck in torture and murder) onto the streets to prevent people from voting.

As I said above, if you think the notion of Catalonian independence is fanciful then fair enough - but there's no denying that the Spanish state is behaving apallingly.

The reaction from Madrid has been idiotic and ill thought out from a political perspective. However it has been lawful.

A mass exercise in democracy you say? Yet you denigrate the constitution. The 1978 constitutional referendum passed with 95% approval in Catalunya on 68% turnout. How's that for democracy for you?

I do denigrate the constitution because it makes absolutely no provision for change. It's 40 years old; 40 years ago in Scotland sentiment for independence was probably quite low but the situation in 2015 warranted a referendum on the issue. The Catalans have tried and tried to go a legal route and had it rebuffed by a Madrid-based judiciary. A local referendum is the only way to go for them.

Whether the Madrid response is legal or not shouldn't be the only consideration here, there's a difference between morality and legality. Armed police breaking up meetings and thumping people while charging people for handing out leaflets or displaying posters can never be condoned. Madrid has actively and enthusiastically created conditions for violence here and they'll be to blame should any unrest arise.

This afternoon, Madrid has taken control of the Catalan regional police (Mossos d'Esquadra) from the Generalitat.

The local Mossos police have been "less than enthusiastic" about cracking down on demonstrators and arresting people for sedition. I think after this change in the control structure, the Guardia Civil will hope to be able to rely more on the local police for back-up as activities hostile to the local population ramp up. Whether that happens, or whether the Mossos will now suffer some kind of "blue flu" has yet to be seen though.
    Members of the Catalan National Assembly, a group of separatist activists, set up a security cordon outside the economy department’s headquarters, trapping a Civil Guard squad inside as demonstrators vandalized their vehicles. The Mossos watched impassively for more than 12 hours. On Friday, Spanish prosecutors opened a probe into the events for possible charges of sedition.
    Madrid claims the right to seize control of local police;
    Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution allows the central government to take control of a regional administration if it poses a threat to the national interest
    Also an interesting development is reported in this article, a massive cruise ship called "Rhapsody" has moored in the harbour..
    Officials in Madrid have quietly hired cruise ships to moor in the Port of Barcelona as temporary housing as they amass what El Correo newspaper said may be more than 16,000 riot police and other security officers before the planned poll.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I do denigrate the constitution because it makes absolutely no provision for change.

Of course it makes provision for change. Via national referendum. It is the Constitution of Spain, not parts of Spain. I wonder do you hold the same views on the Confederate states seceding during the American Civil War...

Also an interesting development is reported in this article, a massive cruise ship called "Rhapsody" has moored in the harbour..
    Officials in Madrid have quietly hired cruise ships to moor in the Port of Barcelona as temporary housing as they amass what El Correo newspaper said may be more than 16,000 riot police and other security officers before the planned poll.

There are at least 3 of these in the harbour at the minute.

There are at least 3 of these in the harbour at the minute.
    The Brits had a name for it; "Gunboat Diplomacy" :pac:

• Advertisement

Of course it makes provision for change. Via national referendum. It is the Constitution of Spain, not parts of Spain. I wonder do you hold the same views on the Confederate states seceding during the American Civil War...

Yeah so basically the self-determination of Euskal Herria and Catalonia relies on the Spanish permitting it, which as we've seen will never happen. That's literally the equivalent of a Scottish referendum going ahead only if people from England tolerate it, there's a word for that.

Your analogy with the Confederates is ridiculous and inaccurate for a variety of reasons. A far better one would be Ireland in 1918, do you think the British state was entitled to declare the Dáil illegal and arrest those associated with it?

You're waffling completely - nobody in Madrid has declared the Generalitat illegal

Either you don't know your history or you're attempting to manipulate facts for the emotional impact it has by bringing Ireland into it.

Yeah so basically the self-determination of Euskal Herria and Catalonia relies on the Spanish permitting it, which as we've seen will never happen. That's literally the equivalent of a Scottish referendum going ahead only if people from England tolerate it, there's a word for that.

You realise the Scottish referendum was negotiated and agreed with the national government in Westminster?

You're the one drawing analogies between Catalonia and a 150-year old war fought in America over slavery but I'm waffling? Lol.

Comparisons with Ireland are perfectly valid. Ireland too was once in a unitary state of various national traditions and after being denied self determination they asserted it themselves.

In 2015 in Scotland the British government realised there was a large question over the issue and facilitated a referendum on the issue after the Scottish parliament called for it. What they didn't do was shout and roar about the indivisibility of the UK, arrest the SNP, shut down the Daily Record and then send in the cops to beat up anyone talking about it. The Catalan government has made repeated attempts to do this via the legal channels but have been rejected because of a Spanish establishment rooted in "Una España" b*llocks. They are full entitled to hold the referendum themselves in the face of this nonsense; as would have been the Scots had they been up against the same sort of carry-on.

You either believe in the right to self-determination or you don't; and if you do then you do then there has to be some sympathy for the Catalans and criticism of the Spanish state and their actions.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/c12596c0-a06f-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2

In their latest move, the Spanish government has now wrested control of the local police force and placed it under a single commander in the form of some apparatchik. Hopefully the local police officers will display an ounce of integrity and refuse to comply with orders given to them but I wouldn't bank on it.

You either believe in the right to self-determination or you don't; and if you do then you do then there has to be some sympathy for the Catalans and criticism of the Spanish state and their actions.

I'd wager most people believe in self determination - that does not give the independence leaders the right to break their own parliamentary rules (how does that fit with your democratic ideals?) to rush through legislation to pave the way for the referendum. It does not give them the right to continue to pursue the referendum (and fund it through the public purse) after it has been declared unconstitutional.

The independence leaders are a shower of deceitful bastards. They have spent decades lining their own pockets as protégés of Pujol. They are lying to the public about the post independence utopian future where they'll just walk into the EU as if nobody had noticed, very similar to the Brexit lies spun by the Leave campaign. People continue to buy the myths here that the Madrid Government is persecuting the independence leaders left, right and centre. Attacking judicial rulings etc (it was the judiciary who ordered the raids on Wednesday morning) is again exactly what has happened with Brexit.

The independence leaders are a shower of deceitful bastards. They have spent decades lining their own pockets as prots of Pujol. They are lying to the public about the post independence utopian future where they'll just walk into the EU as if nobody had noticed, very similar to the Brexit lies spun by the Leave campaign. People continue to buy the myths here that the Madrid Government is persecuting the independence leaders left, right and centre.
    Seems like you don't have much respect for the locals there, because you are the only one that understands what is going on.
    Its a typical expat kind of attitude.

The independence leaders are a shower of deceitful bastards. They have spent decades lining their own pockets as prots of Pujol. They are lying to the public about the post independence utopian future where they'll just walk into the EU as if nobody had noticed, very similar to the Brexit lies spun by the Leave campaign. People continue to buy the myths here that the Madrid Government is persecuting the independence leaders left, right and centre.
    Seems like you don't have much respect for the locals there, because you are the only one that understands what is going on.
    Its a typical expat kind of attitude.

Whereas you, living nowhere near it, with no understanding of Catalan culture or nationality, or local politics and issues, sitting at home behind your keyboard, are uniquely more qualified to comment?

You don't have a clue what you're on about. You say "the locals" and have no idea what that means. Being Catalan is not the same as being pro independence.

Away back to complaining about Islam with you. Actually, why don't you come to Barcelona and complain to all the second and third generation Arabs you can find (hint: there are lots of them) and complain about Islam AND independence.

You realise the Scottish referendum was negotiated and agreed with the national government in Westminster?

Unfortunately, it took Westminster about 100 years to get the message that the best means to counter a nationalist campaign is through the ballot box, rather than by ignoring those involved. The comparisons with Ireland are pertinent, because despite repeated success for the Home Rule Party, self-government was vetoed by UK-wide results, and thereby the British Constitution. It's most unlikely that the Catalan situation will become radicalised to that degree, but unless both sides move back from the brink, next Monday could prove extremely volatile.

• Advertisement

Actually, why don't you come to Barcelona and complain to all the second and third generation Arabs you can find (hint: there are lots of them) and complain about Islam AND independence.
    I have visited Barcelona and enjoyed my ramble down Las Ramblas. Catalan culture is something worth preserving IMO, but I can best help with that by staying where I am. Barcelona is crowded enough with foreigners already.

A lot of Europeans find the actions of the Madrid govt. baffling, but we should remember that Franco's fascists were never defeated. They just mellowed over time. The current generation of islamo-fascists that have infiltrated Europe are no better than those 1930's fascists (and please note that I do not include in that description any "second and third generation Arabs" that have successfully integrated into European/Spanish/Catalan culture; these are all valued citizens.
    On the other hand, you living among the Catalans, are in danger of acting as part of some Fifth Column which seeks to undermine their culture from within.

Anyhow, I suggest we cease sniping at each other, and focus instead on posting here any interesting news snippets or other info that either of us finds.

Advertisement