Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising in taxi cabs?

Options
  • 01-01-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi folks,

When I go abroad I often see advertising within taxi cabs, usually via a digital display on the back of the front passenger seat. However, it could also possibly work via a non-digital display.

I've rarely if ever seen anything similar in Ireland (specifically thinking of Dublin). Any reason why? Seems like it would be a good option for local businesses to get more exposure, and for drivers to make some extra cash on the side.

This is distinct from taxi wraps and external advertising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Actually it looks like the main PSV authority offer it, and probably others. Not much uptake though, might not be too attractive as it stands for companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I travel a good deal with work and I always turn these off. They are annoying, especially in NYC. They make sense if you can watch TV or if you are stuck in a cab for an hour in Beijing, but how long is your taxi drive going to be in Dublin, even on a bad day? You'll want to watch content, not consume Ads. Hence you'd need to pay for that content and stream them into the cab. Could be very costly. Most people would be glued to their phones if they want to consume content.

Personally I'd see them as gap solution for a time when the only way to watch something was on a TV or laptop, a time that is rapidly slipping by.

Advertisement