Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

newly separated

• 01-01-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all
    my husband ended our marriage in august 2016 and moved to the UK
    We have no kids together and no property or assets.
    he was born in the UK and is living there permanently now can I get him to apply for a divorce over there quicker ?
    Or do we still have to wait the four years?
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

He's the one living in England so he has to apply for it. he has to be living there for 1 year.

https://www.winstonsolicitors.co.uk/can-i-divorce-uk-if-i-got-married-abroad.html

Can I divorce in England if I married abroad?

You can still obtain a divorce in England providing that certain criteria regarding domicile or habitual residence are satisfied.

English courts have jurisdiction to hear a divorce petition if either of the following applies:

A) If it has jurisdiction under the European Union regulation known as Article 3 of Brussels II

Under Article 3 of Brussels II the English court has jurisdiction if, for the day that the petition is issued, any of the following applies:-

1. Both you and your spouse are habitually resident in England and Wales.

2. Both you and your spouse were last habitually resident in England and Wales and one of you still reside there.

3. Your spouse is habitually resident in England and Wales.

4. You are habitually resident in England and Wales and has resided here for a year.

5. You are habitually resident in England and Wales and has resided here for 6 months and are domiciled in England and Wales.

6. Both you and your spouse are domiciled in England and Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

Thanks for the information ken I suppose ill have to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

ANGEM wrote: »
    Thanks for the information ken I suppose ill have to wait

A bitch I know but think of it this way. It'll be 3 years quicker than waiting to do it here.

A quick question. Is he an English national? If he is it could be 6 months as mentioned in point 5 of my post above. You'd still want to check with a solicitor here to be absolutely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

True ill just have to keep track of him for the time being

Advertisement