Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to New York

Options
  • 01-01-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm 17 (18 in a few months) and about to graduate from secondary school this summer. I want to move to New York and become a NYPD police officer but I don't know where to start on this.

After doing a bit of research, I found that I need to have a green card. So I'm wondering if I can get a green card through a job, and that job being a NYPD officer.

I know that you can get one through the green card lottery, but I don't want to rely on that since it's not likely to happen.

Also, if I do get a green card and do get to work for the NYPD, do I still have to wait 5 years to apply to become a citizen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Most US states require the applicant to be a US citizen to join the police as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You will find it very, very hard to get into the States with Trump in now, especially unskilled and 18 years old.

I'd say move on son, it's a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You need to be a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gillenation

@myshirt Not gonna give up that easy ;)

Ok so if you do need to be a US citizen, would I be able to join New York's national guard? Would I be able to apply for a green card using the national guard as a job? To join them, I need a green card but the only way for me to get a green card is through the lottery or through a job. I'm wondering if joining the national guard would qualify me to get a green card or would I need to find a different job/win the lottery.

In my head, these are the steps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Go to America when I turn 18
    -Enlist for the New York National Guard
    -Apply for a green card through a job (the job being national guard)
    -Be in the national guard for 1 year
    -Apply for citizenship
    -Join NYPD before I turn 20

What are your opinions on this, do you think it would be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

And what visa will you be initially entering the US on?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Put these questions to the American embassy in Ballsbridge. They should be able to give you concrete answers.

@Noo Would I be able to enlist using a visitor visa (category B-2)?

@me_right_one I've tried looking for an email for them but can't find it. I'll try calling them in the morning

@Noo Would I be able to enlist using a visitor visa (category B-2)?

Applying for a job with the national guard or nypd on a visa that does not allow you to work will not end well.

@Noo

So the only way for me to get into the national guard (and hence the NYPD) is to find another job to sponsor me or to win the lottery?

If I win the lottery, I have no need to join the national guard. After doing some more research, I found that you can join the NYPD.

And what if I got a green card through a job (not the national guard) sponsoring me, how long do I have to work in that job before I can get a citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

I doubt you'd even be allowed to leave Dublin with that plan.

Between 2014 and 2016 the NYPD didn't file any applications for a H1B visa for officers so it's unlikely you'll be able to go down that route.

Probably the best advice is to keep applying for the lottery and hope for the best, you never know. You will have to wait 5 years and become a citizen though.
    What about joining the US military while you're waiting? Doing this will also cover the requirement of a college degree.

• Advertisement

Considering the line of work you are wishing to pursue, you will very much have to do everything by the book (not that would ever recommend oherwise but you would be subject to intense background checks). As you are currently unskilled you will have slim to nil chance of getting the sponsorship route through any industry.

@Noo

I might have a chance with a software engineering company (I code in my free time). I've done contract work for them in the past, successfully. The company is based in California, so if I got a green card from working there, would I be able to quit after a year or so, move to New York and work for the NYPD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

@Noo

I might have a chance with a software engineering company (I code in my free time). I've done contract work for them in the past, successfully. The company is based in California, so if I got a green card from working there, would I be able to quit after a year or so, move to New York and work for the NYPD?
    Why not just code?I'd say the money be a lot better as well.

A work visa would only be valid for the company that issued it to you, so if you were to quit then it would no longer be valid.

@the whole year inn

I like to code as a hobby, but I wouldn't enjoy it as a career. The reason I want to join the NYPD is because there's adventure, something new every day. Whereas with coding you sit down all day, work with the exact same people every day and practically do the same thing every day.

While the money might be better, I'd rather be happier and join the NYPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

You're living in a fantasy land. You won't get a sponsorship unless you have a degree. Writing 'a bit of code' won't do you any good.

Think you've been watching a bit too much law and order

@LC2017

Would I be able to apply for a citizenship after a year or so of working there?

@Peintre Celebre

As I said, I've done contract work for them and they were happy with it. They're also running an "internship" program that I'd be able to apply for and have a pretty good chance of getting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Six months ago you were 16 looking for a motorbike licence, then you posted looking for a helicopter licence, now you want to join the NYPD with no idea of how to do so (it would be near impossible for you, it could be actually impossible).

Not being funny but all sounds a bit fantastical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The reason I want to join the NYPD is because there's adventure, something new every day.

Sorry to be blunt but you need to grow up, and fast

• Advertisement

You can apply for a green card after you get a work visa. Then you would have to wait another 5 years to become a citizen.

I'm not sure on the process for technology companies but I know that it would be extremely rare for a professional firm (accounting, law etc.) to sponsor people for internships as if they can afford the legal fees, then they probably have global offices where applicants can intern instead)

On the cost note, if the company doesn't think you're in the job for the long run then they won't even bother applying in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

You still have to be resident for 5 years before you can become a citizen. I don't think the NYPD is exciting as you think it is. Like everything else, real life isn't like it is on TV.

Sounds like you should apply to join the internship for the tech company though. You're young so an experience like that in California could really give you some valuable experience. Plus I'm guessing they're based around San Francisco/Silicone Valley. A couple of months meeting rich tech nerds could show you that maybe it's ok to not love your job as long as it provides you with good resources for your spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

@the whole year inn

I like to code as a hobby, but I wouldn't enjoy it as a career. The reason I want to join the NYPD is because there's adventure, something new every day. Whereas with coding you sit down all day, work with the exact same people every day and practically do the same thing every day.

While the money might be better, I'd rather be happier and join the NYPD.
    Fair enough but I think you will struggle, have you been to New York before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department_Auxiliary_Police
    Not sure if that would interest you.

Even if joining the NYPD isn't as exciting as it sounds, I'd still like to join

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I wish i was young again.
    Follow your dreams, Gillenation, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

As things stand you'd have a better chance of joining Isis than the NYPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I work in federal law enforcement in Oklahoma and you do indeed need to be a citizen.

Hate to dash your hopes. But you basically have no chance. Companies don't bring people over and offer green cards. It would be a visa valid for a number of years which provides a platform for future more permanent options. And usually you have to stay in employment with the sponsor until you obtain a permanent status as visa validity is linked to sponsor of visa category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Even if joining the NYPD isn't as exciting as it sounds, I'd still like to join

You cannot work in the United States without a work permit whether it be green card, h1b or j1. And you cannot get a job in burger king without the aforementioned neve mind a job where they give you a car and a gun. You want to join the nypd? Why? I have 2 cousins who work for nypd. All they do is bitch about the job. Go off to goa and get drunk and laid and forget working like a dog and getting piles sitting in a smelly squad car with doughnut powder all over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

1. Get a degree in a field in high demand in the states

2a. Get a job with an Irish based American company, and work towards a transfer

Or

2b. Apply for jobs in the states, from Ireland

Aside from the lottery, that's your only hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In my head, these are the steps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Go to America when I turn 18
    -Enlist for the New York National Guard
    -Get sent to warzone
    -Get legs blown off
    -Go home with no legs
    -Post thread on here about how to join the NYPD with no legs.
    Adjusted to include strong possibility.

The National Guard ain't the FCA.

http://taskandpurpose.com/citizen-soldier-tells-story-national-guard-units-hellish-afghan-deployment/

Advertisement