Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to New York

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gillenation

@endacl

Even if I was to join the national guard, I wouldn't get deployed since I wouldn't be a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Time for a dose of reality, from somebody who has always wanted to live and work in the US.

I've over 15 years in the IT industry, with a BSc and a MSc in the field. I've worked for US multinationals and I've worked in the US in a number of locations as an internal transfer.

And I'm still living in Ireland.

Since you won't listen to what people are telling you, let's turn it around.

Why would the US National Guard or NYPD hire somebody from outside the US when there are so many unemployed US citizens? Why would they hire a foreigner (and you are a foreigner, so drop any misty-eyed notion of them giving preference to Irish people) with all the associated security risks and inability to perform solid background checks?

So get yourself an education, go visit the US on a J1 visa (assuming Trump doesn't get rid of them), experience the country and then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Am I missing something here? What makes being a member of AGS and NYPD that different to each other, other than location?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Am I missing something here? What makes being a member of AGS and NYPD that different to each other, other than location?

One is glorified on various TV programmes and looks a lot better than it is in real life.

Op go to NYC. It's not like TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

@Noo

I might have a chance with a software engineering company (I code in my free time). I've done contract work for them in the past, successfully. The company is based in California, so if I got a green card from working there, would I be able to quit after a year or so, move to New York and work for the NYPD?

Paid contract work?

Who are they? And why are they contracting work out to 17 year olds thousands of miles away?

Fair play to you for getting picked up by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Your best chance to get citizenship would be to go on a holiday to the U.S for a few months and hope some young wan wants to marry you. Probably the easiest way.

You also have a chance of citizenship if you have a college degree, apply for a company in Ireland with U.S connections and apply for jobs in their american office.

I think you can join the army as well and get your citizenship this way. (Open to correction on this)

Even you get all this you probably still won't get into the NYPD. Its not like I want to work for the NYPD so I have the job. Theres probably tens of thousands applying every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

lawred2 wrote: »
    Paid contract work?

Who are they? And why are they contracting work out to 17 year olds thousands of miles away?

Fair play to you for getting picked up by them
    Seems odd to me,if you were really that good at development then want to be a Police Officer. Fair enough might not like it but cash money to be made espically if you have a talent for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Jesus fair amount of angry people on here with the passive aggressive replies!

God forbid someone be young and have a wild notion or dream and try follow it! how dare they!!!

To the OP you would be looking at a fair mountain to climb, ud have to get a green card and as far as i know be a citizen for x amount of time which would mean ud have to be living and working away over there before even attempting to join it..id imagine there d be a few more obstacles, you wont be able to join the national guard or any military either.. without a green card, it would certainly be a long long expensive road..be fairly ****in cool to work a job like that in new york tho id imagine!

best of luck with it anyway..as much of a long shot as it is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cupatae wrote: »
    Jesus fair amount of angry people on here with the passive aggressive replies!

I hope that the OP is a troll and that the replies suspected it.

The question is so out of this world that they may have asked our advice on becoming the president of China. Many of us here have lived and worked in the US and understand how difficult it is. when people ask for advice on moving there they get the same answers, preparing them for the work and luck that it'll involve. Asking how to move to the US to join the NYPD is a joke and the OP don't deserve passive aggressive replies but a wake-up call to what they are even suggesting.

Ponster wrote: »
    I hope that the OP is a troll and that the replies suspected it.

The question is so out of this world that they may have asked our advice on becoming the president of China. Many of us here have lived and worked in the US and understand how difficult it is. when people ask for advice on moving there they get the same answers, preparing them for the work and luck that it'll involve. Asking how to move to the US to join the NYPD is a joke and the OP don't deserve passive aggressive replies but a wake-up call to what they are even suggesting.

Yea I called him on it especially when he said he mentioned software development. No one deserves insults or put downs and I wish the op the best of luck, but the op is naive and young 18 I think.
    Sort of hope it's not a troll as need more people to reach and push boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He could start dating an American and maybe end up marrying one.
    He would be allowed live there then?
    I don't think even Trump would take away the rights of Americans to marry who they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't think even Trump would take away the rights of Americans to marry who they want.

Let's not count chickens just yet.....

Let's not count chickens just yet.....

Better marry Ivanka Trump just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

@OP

You have a dream, might be out of your reach but you have advise from others here what way to go about it.

1. Get your leaving out of way first .
    2. Lottery/J1 ?
    3. Do a bit of travelling experience the world a bit even if it's in the US.
    4. Get yourself a degree.
    5. No harm in dreaming and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That level would be reasonable though
    Not crazy high.

Any update on this op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

Any update on this op?

Just read this thread, the way folks took a dump on his dreams, i doubt it. But im rooting for op.

@op no one kills dreams more than parents, and assuming most of the folks who replied are in that age demographic. Dont let anyone tell you what you can or cant do :) .

beaner92 wrote: »
    Just read this thread, the way folks took a dump on his dreams, i doubt it. But im rooting for op.

@op no one kills dreams more than parents, and assuming most of the folks who replied are in that age demographic. Dont let anyone tell you what you can or cant do :) .

We were all rooting for him but there was some sound advise given to be fair.

Advertisement