Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time clay pigeon shooting.

Options
  • 02-01-2017 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I got a xmas present of clay pigeon shooting and I have never even fired a gun before. I was wondering if anyone had any tips? For instance is it better to fire just ahead of the target or directly at it? It being my first time I don't expect to hit much but any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The guys on the range will advise you. If the clay is going straight away from you shoot ast it, otherwise an amount if lead is needed.
    Have a look on youtube , just try and stay away from the more excitable American channels. Enjoy the shooting, its very addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Don't worry about it too much, your not going to be given a gun and allowed to bang away, you'll get a bit of tuition and a lot of supervision.

As a novice you shouldn't really be introduced to crossing target in the beginning, slow away targets with clays rising up and away from in front of you would be the sensible scenario. In this case you'll start with the gun mounted and swing up through from below the clay. As soon as you cover the clay pull the trigger as you keep pushing the barrels upwards.

More importantly insure you know your dominant eye, I'm too frazzled to explain properly in text the finger pointing exercise for it, Google it. But your dominant eye is not always on your dominant hand side and it is the side of your dominant eye that you shotgun with.

Lastly, bring loads of spare cash, it can be an additive past time and some grounds will happily let you bang away to your heart's desire and then hand you the bill for additional cartridges and clays.

Enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Cheers for the replies. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not left handed but have just discovered that my left eye is the dominant one. Does that mean I should shoot from my left shoulder? That sounds a bit awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Close your left eye when shooting. I am right handed and left eye domianant.
    Also, most ranges have cartridges for sale. Just so you know, a box of 25 is usually in the 5.50 to 6 euro range.
    Clays cost about 20 to 25 cent each, and of course the range has to make a profit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Yep, if your left eye dominant then shoot off left shoulder.
    I know shooters who shot off their dominant hand side for years before discovering that the opposite eye was the dominant eye. The switch improved their consistency in breaking clays.
    As a beginner you'll have an advantage over those lads as you have no muscle memory in the use of the gun- holding it, trigger finger use, breaking, loading and unloading, mounting etc. Even novices who are hand & eye coordinated on the same side can be awkward and all fingers and thumbs when handling and shooting a
    break action shotgun for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Just back from shooting. There were a few others there that didn't have much experience so we were all in the same boat. It went great. I am well hooked and will def be going back for more.

Advertisement