Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight

• 02-01-2017 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Not a new year new me thread, but I want to lose weight. I don't know what I weigh, but I know it's too much as as embarrassing as it is to say it is uncomfortable to bend over to tie my shoe laces..

Basically to start off I'm not one for excersise, the most i get is when I need to get somewhere because I don't know how to drive, within the town I need to walk where I need to get. Once a week I'll go shopping but that's about 30 minute return walk. I don't set time aside for just walking.

I was considering a gym membership in the local leisure centre because they offer gym and swim memberships and I used to swim a lot as a child and I'd consider myself decent at it, does it count as good excersise? Aside from losing the excess weight I also want to get a bit leaner, hence the gym membership, what would be the best tips for success there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There's a thread still just a few down from this one at the moment called "Everything you need to know in 3 minutes"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057687567

Might get you started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Exercise is great for overall wellbeing but you need to focus on healthy eating too. Weight loss is 80% diet. I use My Fitbess Pal app to track my daily calories from food and exercise. Even if you only use it for a week it will give you an idea of where you can make changes. All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

In simple terms, eat lots of protein and vegetables (emphasis on green vegetables), a small amount of fruit and nuts as a snack ......... and drink lots of (only, if possible!) water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Not a new year new me thread, but I want to lose weight. I don't know what I weigh, but I know it's too much as as embarrassing as it is to say it is uncomfortable to bend over to tie my shoe laces..

Basically to start off I'm not one for excersise, the most i get is when I need to get somewhere because I don't know how to drive, within the town I need to walk where I need to get. Once a week I'll go shopping but that's about 30 minute return walk. I don't set time aside for just walking.

I was considering a gym membership in the local leisure centre because they offer gym and swim memberships and I used to swim a lot as a child and I'd consider myself decent at it, does it count as good excersise? Aside from losing the excess weight I also want to get a bit leaner, hence the gym membership, what would be the best tips for success there?

Thanks!

This time last year I had just turned 40 and was 19st 13lb. Years of sitting on my ar$e, not exercising & binge drinking every chance I got (10 pints/ cans at least once a week). I have a desk job for the last 15 years and slowly started to but on a bit extra each year which got me to that point.

Having just had my first child I decided I needed to be able to keep up with him as he got more active. Even getting up and down on the play mat was an effort.

In February I bit the bullet and joined a local gym. I commute 120 kms each day so was luckily able to come in to work early and leave early to avoid traffic, get to the gym about 5 and be home for 6 to spend a couple of hours with my son before he goes to bed.

I started walking, then running. I downloaded tv shows on my iPad, hooked up my headphones and off I go, extra tv show per day was great. I did this 5 times a week, usually 4 mid week and Sat mornings. I do my own thing, no one annoys me and am left to get on with it. It cost me e200 for the year, honestly I feel guilty as I am probably not even paying for the electricity on the thread mill as I go so often. But hey, they make their money from the ones that don't go rather than the ones that do.

I made some small changes to my diet but nothing major. 6 mornings a week I have porridge, strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts & low fat milk, I look forward to this each morning. Sun morning I'll have a small fry. 4 days a week in work I have a Cully & Sully soup, two slices of brown bread and smoked salmon. Friday is a treat day I have what I like for lunch. I will still have a take away most weekends & a lock of pints maybe once every 4-6 weeks. Yes I could probably have lost more if I didn't do this but I still have to live.

Eventually walking/ running 4-5 km 5 times a week began to catch up with me and I began to get pains in my knees. I said this to the guys in the gym and I paid for a few one on one sessions with their trainer, now it's not a case of him roaring at me like a sergeant major or anything like that, I would actually walk out if this happened. He assessed me & did up a plan of exercises I could do that were suitable for me instead of pounding the thread mill. Cost me e80 for two sessions, I am now on my second plan and will start the third one later this month.

I am now 15st 9lb including maybe a couple of lbs over Xmas. the weird thing is I actually have no interest in shovelling pawfuls of sweets into my mouth, or having huge portions like I used to. I am content with smaller sizes perhaps because I know the work that's gone into it.

I was actually annoyed over Christmas, not because the wife wouldn't let me out for pints but because the gym shut for 4 days and was only open 10-2 the days it was open- ha. I struggled on and maybe went twice a week

What a difference a year makes? The first step is the hardest, I had never been in a gym before last Feb and to be honest thought it would be full of posing tossers but ours certainly isn't & I must say I actually quite enjoy it. We have another little one on the way so I may not get to go as often as I do not in a few months, I actually went up to Aldi on Monday and bought myself a fitness band, kettlebells and dumb bells set so I can keep up the good work!

Best of luck, believe me if I can go from 20-15.5 st almost, anyone can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

This time last year I had just turned 40 and was 19st 13lb. Years of sitting on my ar$e, not exercising & binge drinking every chance I got (10 pints/ cans at least once a week). I have a desk job for the last 15 years and slowly started to but on a bit extra each year which got me to that point.

Having just had my first child I decided I needed to be able to keep up with him as he got more active. Even getting up and down on the play mat was an effort.

In February I bit the bullet and joined a local gym. I commute 120 kms each day so was luckily able to come in to work early and leave early to avoid traffic, get to the gym about 5 and be home for 6 to spend a couple of hours with my son before he goes to bed.

I started walking, then running. I downloaded tv shows on my iPad, hooked up my headphones and off I go, extra tv show per day was great. I did this 5 times a week, usually 4 mid week and Sat mornings. I do my own thing, no one annoys me and am left to get on with it. It cost me e200 for the year, honestly I feel guilty as I am probably not even paying for the electricity on the thread mill as I go so often. But hey, they make their money from the ones that don't go rather than the ones that do.

I made some small changes to my diet but nothing major. 6 mornings a week I have porridge, strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts & low fat milk, I look forward to this each morning. Sun morning I'll have a small fry. 4 days a week in work I have a Cully & Sully soup, two slices of brown bread and smoked salmon. Friday is a treat day I have what I like for lunch. I will still have a take away most weekends & a lock of pints maybe once every 4-6 weeks. Yes I could probably have lost more if I didn't do this but I still have to live.

Eventually walking/ running 4-5 km 5 times a week began to catch up with me and I began to get pains in my knees. I said this to the guys in the gym and I paid for a few one on one sessions with their trainer, now it's not a case of him roaring at me like a sergeant major or anything like that, I would actually walk out if this happened. He assessed me & did up a plan of exercises I could do that were suitable for me instead of pounding the thread mill. Cost me e80 for two sessions, I am now on my second plan and will start the third one later this month.

I am now 15st 9lb including maybe a couple of lbs over Xmas. the weird thing is I actually have no interest in shovelling pawfuls of sweets into my mouth, or having huge portions like I used to. I am content with smaller sizes perhaps because I know the work that's gone into it.

I was actually annoyed over Christmas, not because the wife wouldn't let me out for pints but because the gym shut for 4 days and was only open 10-2 the days it was open- ha. I struggled on and maybe went twice a week

What a difference a year makes? The first step is the hardest, I had never been in a gym before last Feb and to be honest thought it would be full of posing tossers but ours certainly isn't & I must say I actually quite enjoy it. We have another little one on the way so I may not get to go as often as I do not in a few months, I actually went up to Aldi on Monday and bought myself a fitness band, kettlebells and dumb bells set so I can keep up the good work!

^^^^^ this guy right here, and if you need any help at all, particularly in using your new equipment then hit me up, no charge

Inspiring stuff, love it, do the simple stuff daily, just wrote an article to publish on those very points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭JoeyPeeps

Imo gym memberships are a waste of time. Save your money and invest in a good pair of trainers. That's how I started out. I couldn't even run a half mile without gasping for air.
    Make a running timetable and increase the distance as the weeks go by. You'll be surprised how far you can run. I managed 3 miles in my third week. Start off small and listen to your body.

Also, if you want to lose weight download the myfitnesspal app. Allocate yourself a set amount of calories and stick to it. You'll lose weight in no time. I lost two stone in a year.

I forgot to mention, never overdress for running that includes running in a fleece or tracksuit bottoms. I always found these two will hamper your performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Gym memberships are only a waste of time if you don't use them properly. If you use them properly and follow a proper program then they're the best complement to a good eating plan. Most people don't use them properly though.

The benefits of running in the gym v running on the road for me are
    -it doesn't rain in the gym, you will be more inclined to run in the gym than head out in the rain
    -you won't get hit by a car, particularly dangerous at this time of year with the dark evenings
    -if you are a good bit over weight you may be embarrassed starting off running on the road particularly if from a small town like I am
    -don't have to carry water with you
    -can nip in for a wee when you like
    -you may be out in the fresh air. Though with cars and trucks going by is it really that fresh?
    -best of all for me, you can sit your tablet up on the threadmill and get another tv show in, kind of like being a couch potato, just a more active one

But hey, whatever works for people. I only tried the road a couple of times when the gym wasn't open so am no expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

JoeyPeeps wrote: »
    Imo gym memberships are a waste of time. Save your money and invest in a good pair of trainers. That's how I started out. I couldn't even run a half mile without gasping for air.
    Make a running timetable and increase the distance as the weeks go by. You'll be surprised how far you can run. I managed 3 miles in my third week. Start off small and listen to your body.

Also, if you want to lose weight download the myfitnesspal app. Allocate yourself a set amount of calories and stick to it. You'll lose weight in no time. I lost two stone in a year.

I forgot to mention, never overdress for running that includes running in a fleece or tracksuit bottoms. I always found these two will hamper your performance.

You'll eventually wear yourself down if you do too much running. Good to get some weights in as well and get stronger. Once you do, apparently you'll burn more calories just keeping all that muscle alive. Thats my plan anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bdonohuept

The easiest way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat less than you're burning and do some sort of exercise.
    MyFitnessPal is great (I use it myself) but there are loads of other ways to track your food intake without having to calculate calories, if that's not your thing.
    You can use your hand as a guide. A portion of protein (meat, fish, all that good stuff) should be the size of the palm of your hand. A closed fist is you veg serving, a cupped handful is a starchy carb portion (rice, potato, etc) and a thumb sized serving of fat. Play around with those measures for a few days and if you think you're losing too much, up your portions slightly. It'll take a bit of trial and error to get it right. Remember consistency is key.
    For exercise, get yourself a kettlebell and google "kettlebell complexes" and off you go. There are, literally, thousands of ways you can mix up your workouts. Pat Flynn on chroniclesofstrength.com has some great videos with workouts and how to guides.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Aldi had kettlebells for sale last week- might be some left.

Aldi had kettlebells for sale last week- might be some left.

Lidl will have some on offer, along with Dumbell sets, from February 6th.

d8fitness.ie has some great ones too and they're not too pricey either. Don't go too light. A 12kg bell is a good place to start and progress from there. They're an awesome tool!

bdonohuept wrote: »
    d8fitness.ie has some great ones too and they're not too pricey either. Don't go too light. A 12kg bell is a good place to start and progress from there. They're an awesome tool!

I use d8fitness.ie quite a lot, highly recommend .......... but a 12kg Kettlebell will cost you €30 whereas you can get a 20kg in Lidl for €20.

Be right back, I'm off to Lidl!!!!

bdonohuept wrote: »
    Be right back, I'm off to Lidl!!!!

:D Hold your horses! They don't go on sale until February 6th.

Class, I'll def be stocking up!

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I use d8fitness.ie quite a lot, highly recommend .......... but a 12kg Kettlebell will cost you €30 whereas you can get a 20kg in Lidl for €20.

The 12kgs were €15 in aldi last week if they have any left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

What ya gonna do with that bell when ya get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I saw some today in the one in Naas

• Advertisement

I don't think Lidl are doing 12kg ones, as far as I know they're doing 8kg, 10kg and 20kg for €10, €15 and €20 .......... I wouldn't go lighter than 20kg anyway so the 12kg ones would be useless to me.

Aldi doing any 20kg+ ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I don't think Lidl are doing 12kg ones, as far as I know they're doing 8kg, 10kg and 20kg for €10, €15 and €20 .......... I wouldn't go lighter than 20kg anyway so the 12kg ones would be useless to me.

Aldi doing any 20kg+ ones?

Heaviest they had was 12kg.

I have one a few years but all I use it for is to calibrate the scales in the house :)

Heaviest they had was 12kg.

I have one a few years but all I use it for is to calibrate the scales in the house :)

Yeah, I'm only getting one because they're on offer and "just in case", it'll probably be rarely used as I prefer the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm much the same. This time last year I was just under 123kg-122.9 to be exact. I joined a local group that was running operation transformation. On Tuesday we would get weighed and then Saturday circuit type training out on the Curragh plains. For the first 2-3 weeks I walked a bit on my own but it was mostly just the two days.

After that I was going for a walk or jog nearly every day, sometimes 3km sometimes 7/8km.
    After 8 weeks I lost 2st 2.2lbs or about 13.7kg. I joined a sqaush club and mostly played that or used the small gym in the club.

Before Christmas I was down to 14st 10.5lb, I joined back the same group again and I'm 95.5kg, I think that's just slightly over 15st so all in all not too bad. I drive a truck and I'm sitting all day and I was a disaster for red bull and bars and crisps and rolls Ina deli ever single day. I cut all that out but still have the odd bar or bag of crisps but haven't drank red bull in about 16 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

JoeyPeeps wrote: »

Running can definitely be a great compliment to any fitness program but it isn't the be all and end all. Lots of people automatically equate long slow runs with exercise per se and it's important to say that resistance exercises are at least as vital when reshaping physique.

Lastly, as somebody who used to have to do tons of roadwork, running is hard and taxing on the body. There is a technique to it and I'd advise anybody starting out to get a lesson. Simply going from inactivity to pounding the roads day after day can just leave a person with b*llocksed knees/back/ankles and then completely unable to do anything at all. Running on hard surfaces can be brutal and that's only compounded with the awful running technique many people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

First, good on you for wanting to make the change.

I just wanted to chime in on the swimming, as you mentioned it was something you might like to do. I think it can be an effective way to exercise and lose weight (I have lost almost 3 stone over the past 12-18 months doing a combination of swimming and some HIIT sessions). I think the key with swimming is not to just get in & swim mindlessly for 30 minutes, or for X amount of lengths, all at the same pace, as many people do. For real results you need to do a mixture of different things, including some fast swimming to get your heart rate up, and sets to improve endurance. Which means you need a session planned before you get in the pool. Speedo offers workouts on its website (just google Speedo workouts or similar), or there is a great website called Swimplan that will design sessions for you which include speed, endurance, long swims etc. Just to let you know :)

Advertisement