Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucid Dreams... anyone?

• 02-01-2017 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

Wiki says: "During Lucid Dreaming, the dreamer is aware they are in a dreamlike state and are able to exert some degree of control over the dream characters, narrative, and environment..."

Ever been able to control your dreams?

The most I've ever been able to do is (and it takes considerable effort) force myself to wake up to end an intense nightmare.

:) Do wish I could figure out how to re-dream the happy dreams - never mastered that!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi B00! Yes, sometimes you can control the content of your dreams, especially if you practice a lot. I've done so, but not as often as I would like to. The good ones can be a form of wish fulfillment. Oddly when I am stressed at work or in some other venue, I tend to be a bit more receptive to such dreams. Maybe it's a type of escape from the real world to dream heaven, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi B00! Yes, sometimes you can control the content of your dreams, especially if you practice a lot. I've done so, but not as often as I would like to. The good ones can be a form of wish fulfillment. Oddly when I am stressed at work or in some other venue, I tend to be a bit more receptive to such dreams. Maybe it's a type of escape from the real world to dream heaven, who knows?

Hi Black Swan, :) thanks for saying. I do like the sound of ^ that! :D

(if only there was more dream heaven and less dream hell :o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hey B00! There are many suggested methods of how to influence the content of your dreams by various sources, some useful, along with a host of sensationalist, spurious, and nonsense sources, including a few that are superstitious. One thing to keep in mind is that we are all individuals, and we must find that combination of things that may increase the likelihood of "Dream Heaven," as opposed to nightmare "Hell" occurring for our individual selves; i.e., each of us are unique.

I stumbled into one thing that sometimes influences the content of dreams as I drift off to sleep. Although I did not plan this at first, rather I was looking for ideas for fictional writing. I keep a dream diary by my bedside and make myself take a minute to write down the content after I first awake. If I delay writing, I tend to forget. Then if in the mood, before drifting off to sleep, I will sometimes look at my most recent "Dream Heaven" content, allowing my mind to play with its lovely content as I go to dreamland. Not frequently, but once-in-a-while I will experience a dream with similar content. When this has happened, there were probably other things that contributed, but I have never done a rigourous dream study; i.e., it's not my discipline.

Yeah, I read up on some of those lucid dream theories and techniques - utter nonsense (and some scared the living daylights outta me - astral projection :eek: noooo, i prefer to stay in my body thank you very much).

Thanks, I will try your idea of allowing my mind to drift off with thoughts of dream heaven. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Lucid dream sticky. May be useful. Or not.

• Advertisement

oh geez, I missed that sticky, sorry! delete my thread if ya like, noooo problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Closing thread. Can use sticky :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement