Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor/ asteroid

Options
  • 02-01-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I saw a large meteor burning up in the atmosphere not very high in the sky. It was about 7.05am this morning. I saw it from Salthill Galway and I was facing north west aprox. Did anyone else see it? I think it will have left a creator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hi I saw a large meteor burning up in the atmosphere not very high in the sky. It was about 7.05am this morning. I saw it from Salthill Galway and I was facing north west aprox. Did anyone else see it? I think it will have left a creator.
    Very rare that Meteors break atmosphere and impact earth, usually leaves more damage behind (remember the Russian incident a few years ago that smashed windows?) Hope you made a wish.

Astronomy Ireland are interested in sightings like this - check out their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Probably unlikely that it made it to the ground as anything bigger than a pebble.

You more than likely seen something entering the atmosphere miles up, then it got slowed down and fell to earth unseen, if it didn't get completely obliterated when it hit the atmosphere. It wouldn't have left a fire trail all the way to the ground unless it was massive and when you saw it on fire it was very far away and even further away when it landed, if it landed. It could be in Wales, Scotland or somewhere in the Irish sea.

Advertisement