Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebars....

Options
  • 02-01-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Image below has my two bikes and the drops on both.

If both are 44cm why are they different angles on the drops? One is far more comfortable than the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

44cm refers to the width across the handlebars, and has no bearing whatsoever on the shape or curvature of the drops themselves. You can get 44cm width bars in any shape pretty much. Possibly worth having a read of https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/buyers-guide-how-to-choose-a-handlebar-upgrade.html/1 as it sounds (and looks) like your 2 44cm sets of bars are different styles of bars, and you may only get better comfort on the worse one by switching for a more similar shape.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Which is more comfortable? The yellow?

Although they may be the same width bars have different drops and you will see the ones with black tape are a bit longer in the drop itself. However they are not horizontal in the drop position. If you get that horizontal it may be more comfortable (although the hoods will be slightly higher)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The black ones are far more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

dahat wrote: »
    The black ones are far more comfortable.

Probably because they have a shorter drop and a longer hook so you have less of a stretch while in the drops. If you want the same comfort on the other bike then change the bars to the same brand/model as the other bike. Simples.

Probably because they have a shorter drop and a longer hook so you have less of a stretch while in the drops. If you want the same comfort on the other bike then change the bars to the same brand/model as the other bike. Simples.

This is true but are they a specific type or just brand differences?

The coloured ones feel a long way down alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would describe the first ones I have as compact bars so it looks like those suit me best.

Bike fit could be on the cards for me it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

I bet that the black one are FSA. Is the handlebar of choice for me. From my experience if you want to spend more time on drops stick with handlebar most comfy for you on all your bikes.

sin_26 wrote: »
    I bet that the black one are FSA. Is the handlebar of choice for me. From my experience if you want to spend more time on drops stick with handlebar most comfy for you on all your bikes.

It is a Thompson standard that came with the bike, TRC is the brand I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This is true but are they a specific type or just brand differences?

The coloured ones feel a long way down alright.

There are different types so you'd need to know what type you have before buying new bars. They look like Deda RHM bars of some sort judging by the length of the hook and shallow drop.

• Advertisement

There are different types so you'd need to know what type you have before buying new bars. They look like Deda RHM bars of some sort judging by the length of the hook and shallow drop.

I've just mailed Thompson to get the exact spec of the bars so I can get a second set.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

It is a Thompson standard that came with the bike, TRC is the brand I think.

It looks exactly the same as fsa energy handlebar which I use due to long drop section and not to steep angle from drop to place with shifters. Another thing is easy access to shifter and brake levers from drop without playing with wrist.
    Check the fsa energy or omega ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I've just mailed Thompson to get the exact spec of the bars so I can get a second set.

Looks like they use Deda from couple of spec pages as a start/sanity check: http://www.spokes.ie/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=75&virtuemart_category_id=8

https://www.bikeexchange.ie/a/road-bikes/thompson/ireland/lucan/r-7200/1707 (this one is posted by Stagg Cycles, who are, or at least were, the importers for Thompson, so should be accurate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I don't think the Deda bars are as compact as that, these FSA ones look very similar.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fsa-vero-compact-road-bar/rp-prod36060

Had a look and all I can see is TRC branding but not sure who actually makes them, it's a Ritchey stem on it.

Advertisement