Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip replacement - Father

• 02-01-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

apologies in advance if this is not the correct area for asking this, but I am in a bit of a quandry. My father (pensioner, medical card) is on a waiting list for hip replacement, which is scheduled for 2018!! His condition has deteriorated rapidly over the past few weeks and he will re-visit his doctor later this week.

My question is : what are the options if his appointment cannot be expedited? Are there procedures to speed this up? I am even considering paying for the treatment myself, given that his quality of life is suffering..

Any advice is much appreciated,

thank you
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could you accompany him on his doctor visit and ask the doctor? If the situation has worsened then there might be a move up the list because of that. Also ask the doctor about the cost of a private operation. I would not panic until he has seen the doctor this week, I think you would get better answers from him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Your doctor should be able to forward a letter on to the relevant department, presumably orthopaedics, to try and expedite the surgery.
    I know, in other matters, going to the Emergency Department has moved things along, but that probably won't work here as he is already on the hospital's books.
    The GP should certainly be able to offer better pain relief, which may give some small comfort.
    This type of surgery can be prolonged and very expensive, but if there was a way to free up your father's assets to pay for private treatment, or a policy that might be cashed in, this surgery and any further work needed, would be carried out almost at his convenience.
    Be aware that a complete recovery from hip replacement surgery is not guaranteed, and that age is a factor. Even in the best of circumstances care will be needed afterwards so be prepared to either offer it or be capable of funding it with a third party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My father got his LH done 12mths ago in Cappagh. Was on a 3yr waiting list but as is the case with your pops, it was becoming very debilitating. Accompanied him on a GP visit whereby he told the GP that it was affecting his golf and it was killnig him not being able to ! Got done after 20months wait. Was driving again within 12weeks and golfing a couple of months later. He's a new man, and in hindsight, and if he needed the money for another, I'd get the 10K somehow. Amazing change in the man and I cannot imagine the pain he was enduring. He turned 80 October last, looked after himself in life for the best part (played LOI football for many years from his early youth) and was never really a drinker/smoker so probably gave himself the best chance for a good stint at life.

Advertisement