Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play station 4 games and internet

Options
  • 02-01-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Just got my son who is 7 a play station and a few games.
    Problem I see is that it every game I put it says it's gonna take hours to download and is using up huge amount of GB of my allowed Internet.
    Is there no game that you just quiet simply buy in a shop. Put in the machine and play it.
    I don't need people who spend too much time in front of the TV driving me mad here but come on these games are ridiculous.
    Got gta for myself and another family member and it's saying something like 8 hours to go.
    As if the thing don't cost enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Is there a Gamestop near you? They can be pricy on new games but usually have a good range, also do 2nd hand games. You can also try amazon.co.uk as the exchange rate is good for buying, there can be up to €15/20 of a difference compared to buying here.

On the internet, you might want to be aware of updates for games, they could possibly eat you data as files can be quite large for the bigger titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Yes got the games from games stop and just remember when we got for the first of the play stations years ago. You got a game and put it in and played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes got the games from games stop and just remember when we got for the first of the play stations years ago. You got a game and put it in and played it.

Games now are so much bigger and more complex, eg compare GTA V to the original GTA on the Playstation - constantly addressing bugs and patches relating to online play is also a huge factor in most games.

These days, you can buy a game on release day and expect a large patch before you can even play it at home.

If it's a slightly older game, the accumulated updates can be really large - if you're on slow/mobile broadband it is massively frustrating.

Massively frustrating and very annoying to say the least.
    Even farm simulator for children is downloading for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there a family member with decent internet in the area?

It may be worth a trip if you are on crap internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi all.
    Just got my son who is 7 a play station and a few games.
    Problem I see is that it every game I put it says it's gonna take hours to download and is using up huge amount of GB of my allowed Internet.
    Is there no game that you just quiet simply buy in a shop. Put in the machine and play it.
    I don't need people who spend too much time in front of the TV driving me mad here but come on these games are ridiculous.
    Got gta for myself and another family member and it's saying something like 8 hours to go.
    As if the thing don't cost enough.

You don't need people who do what now?

Most games will play without downloading the patches - it often gives you the option - however it is part of today's gaming technology that gigabyte size patches are normal. GTA V on the PC is something like a 75 GB download before any patches and updates.

Sony's update servers are notoriously slow and the networking capability of the PlayStation 4 isn't too great either. However most people find it's faster at downloading while the console is in rest mode.

What is your data cap? Outside of the absurd state of the US market, it's unusual to see tight caps here unless you're on some sort of rural or mobile connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

If you buy physical copies of games then you'll still have to install them but you won't be downloading anything unless the game requires an update (even then these updates are rarely that big and shouldn't affect your capped allowance).

Installing games is a prerequisite but should only take a few minutes as opposed to the length download times you encounter when purchasing straight from the PlayStation store.

Would definitely recommend that you buy physical copies while you're under restrictions in terms of download allowance.

Thanks for the advice people. It all helps a person who is totally clueless to that technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Don't forget if you put it on standby it will continue to download patches and games.... Saves a lot of hanging around.

Be careful though. On some physical games the patches fix game breaking bugs so skipping them isn't always advisable. Had my first experience of this with dishonoured 2, where it was quitting the game and even ejecting the disk.

Advertisement