Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D3300-Regular V's Twin Lens ?

• 02-01-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

I'm a complete novice & have decided i'd like to buy my first DSLR & have a very limited budget!!

I think I have settled on the NikonD3300 as I have read so many fantastic reviews online for it. Argos have some reductions at the minute so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the regular camera versus the camera with the twin lens.

The specs on Argos aren't great & I'm finding it hard to get information online re the twin lens. It is definitely heavier anyway! I read somewhere that twin lens pics are taken at waist level or was I reading some ancient website?!

I guess I am looking for a good all round camera-I love taking landscapes but also action (equestrian events etc) & I love macro shots too & am certainly open to buying more lenses as my photography skills develop (sorry, had to be done!!). I'm very active & don't want anything too bulky /delicate on long hikes but am willing to make sacrifices if the twin lens is really significantly better.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is all so new to me! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Hi there,

I'm a complete novice & have decided i'd like to buy my first DSLR & have a very limited budget!!

I think I have settled on the NikonD3300 as I have read so many fantastic reviews online for it. Argos have some reductions at the minute so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the regular camera versus the camera with the twin lens.

The specs on Argos aren't great & I'm finding it hard to get information online re the twin lens. It is definitely heavier anyway! I read somewhere that twin lens pics are taken at waist level or was I reading some ancient website?!

I guess I am looking for a good all round camera-I love taking landscapes but also action (equestrian events etc) & I love macro shots too & am certainly open to buying more lenses as my photography skills develop (sorry, had to be done!!). I'm very active & don't want anything too bulky /delicate on long hikes but am willing to make sacrifices if the twin lens is really significantly better.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is all so new to me! Thanks.

It's a kit containing a body and two interchangeable lenses. You fit one lens or the other. Only one at a time.

Go for the kit with two lenses. It will do everything you need and it's a great litte camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

I've been looking at these myself and I did come across the twin lens offer that Argos are offering with the D3300.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5767180/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

Once thing I'm concerned about is the spec of the lens included.

"Model d3300 af-p 18-55 non-vr + af-p 70-300"

The D3300 does usually come with a VR spec lens but in this case it states non-vr.

Like wise, would I be right in saying the 70-300 in non VR as well??

Does anybody know if this is the case and also what are the differences between VR and non-VR lenses?

Thanks,

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Alan G wrote: »
    I've been looking at these myself and I did come across the twin lens offer that Argos are offering with the D3300.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5767180/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

Once thing I'm concerned about is the spec of the lens included.

"Model d3300 af-p 18-55 non-vr + af-p 70-300"

The D3300 does usually come with a VR spec lens but in this case it states non-vr.

Like wise, would I be right in saying the 70-300 in non VR as well??

Does anybody know if this is the case and also what are the differences between VR and non-VR lenses?

Thanks,

Alan

Its listed on the .co.uk site too as non VR. Strange - maybe its just this bundle so. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5767180
    When I got the D3100, I only got the 1 lens which was the 18-55 VR version.

VR - vibration reduction - Nikon's version of image stabilisation . Which can be turned on for the likes of shooting on a tripod for certain shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GBX wrote: »
    Its listed on the .co.uk site too as non VR. Strange - maybe its just this bundle so. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5767180
    When I got the D3100, I only got the 1 lens which was the 18-55 VR version.

VR - vibration reduction - Nikon's version of image stabilisation . Which can be turned on for the likes of shooting on a tripod for certain shots.

Turned off you mean.

adox wrote: »
    Turned off you mean.

Yeah sorry. Off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 cauliflowers

Thanks for replies! I was all set to go for twin bundle & came across Argos UK site & realised the lenses are non VR. I think I will go for single lens camera now as it does seem to have VR & it seems like a great advantage!

If I want to buy something like a Nikon 70-300 lens with VR is it likely to cost a fortune? Any recommendations for reasonable & reliable online suppliers?

I will need a bag too-are back pack style bags ever an option? I'm thinking it could be good for longer hikes?

Also what size SD should I go for? I read if you want to use RAW, you should go for an SD with a very big capacity?

Any other purchases I need to consider with camera -extra battery /power pack?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a complete rookie& also on a big budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

1. If I want to buy something like a Nikon 70-300 lens with VR is it likely to cost a fortune? Any recommendations for reasonable & reliable online suppliers?

Yes. Relatively speaking. Somewhere around 350-400. You'd do better buying used, sometime down the line when you have a better understanding of what you need to take the pictures you want to take. See number 4 for more...

2. I will need a bag too-are back pack style bags ever an option? I'm thinking it could be good for longer hikes?

Backpacks are great, but if you already have a decent backpack that you like, just get a Lowepro TLZ case and pop that in the top. It'll give you the best of both worlds. You don't have a load of gear, so don't burden yourself with the expense of a camera specific backpack, unless you really want one. If so, look again at Lowepro, Tamrac or Manfrotto. See number 4 for more...

3. Also what size SD should I go for? I read if you want to use RAW, you should go for an SD with a very big capacity?

32-64GB if you want to shoot RAW/Video, 16GB is grand if you're going to shoot JPEGs only. RAW files need you to work on them. Factor in more time, more effort learning and to be honest, a bit of a distraction from developing good technique with your camera if you're new to everything. Don't drive yourself to distraction with that though. Get what's in your budget and you can always add another card later for more space/redundancy. See number 4 for more...

4. Any other purchases I need to consider with camera -extra battery /power pack?

You'll get a lot of pictures with a single battery and even a fair bit of video. If you want the freedom to be out all day, you can pick up a second one. That said, you'd be better keeping the money in your pocket if you'll be anywhere you can plug in the charger and top up the battery while you have coffee/lunch etc.

Don't be tempted to waste your money on a cheap full size tripod. Buy one in a couple of months if you're hell bent on it. Better option is to look out for a used Manfrotto 190 or similar with a ballhead. For twice the price of a piece of crap cheapie you'll have a tripod that's tens of times better and will last you for all your DSLR photography life. For now, consider a little Manfrotto tabletop tripod which is dead handy and if the 3300 doesn't come with it, get a Nikon ML-3L remote, or a knock-off version on ebay etc. Don't pay 35-40 in the shops here for one.

Avoid buying ANYTHING other than the camera, lens and memory card when you place your order or go in to a shop etc. Bring the camera home, spend some time getting to grips with the controls and learning how to take good pictures (which you can do without ANY extra bits at all), then take that newfound understanding and look sceptically at every gadget or extra you might think you need. I'm talking about filters and lens protectors and cleaning cloths, dust blowers and brushes, padded camera straps and gimmicks. You don't need ANY of those things if you have 1 camera with 1 lens fitted to it, a charged battery, your memory card and the strap that comes in the box.

The best advice I can offer is this:

Buy what you need to pick up a camera, compose your image, focus and record it to the memory card. Those other accessories won't do anything for you if you can't do that bit right, and it takes time to practice and to be able to understand what can be fixed with another piece of gear and what comes down to learning the correct techniques etc.

If you have a limited budget now, but you're serious about taking this up as a hobby or otherwise, do yourself a favour and get a camera you're happy with and one good lens. From youtube channels to gear-heads all over the internet, magazines and the people in the camera shops, too much of their interests lean towards selling things you don't need or more specifically, things that will not do anything for you that you can't do with what you already have in your hands. Sure, some thing help, but wait until you know what will make a difference to you once you have the personal experience to base your decisions upon.

5. Sorry for all the questions but I'm a complete rookie& also on a big budget!

We were all rookies once. Many still are. There's no harm in it. Just don't be the rookie who starts out with a load of bits and pieces leaving your budget smashed, where half the stuff will never be used and you'll wish you'd kept the few quid to buy better or more suitable versions of the other half, the useful things you'll discover in time that you actually need/want.

Long answer and all but I think it's good advice to offer. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

Great advice there, all taken on board by myself anyway. Thanks guys.

Would you think the D3400 is worth the extra €50 over the D3300?

Essentially the same spec, however the D3400 boasts a lighter body weight, greater battery life and Nikon's snapbridge bluetooth compatibility.

Some great advice there from BreadnBuddha.

@AlanG for the lighter body and better battery id go for the D3400.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cauliflowers

1. If I want to buy something like a Nikon 70-300 lens with VR is it likely to cost a fortune? Any recommendations for reasonable & reliable online suppliers?

Yes. Relatively speaking. Somewhere around 350-400. You'd do better buying used, sometime down the line when you have a better understanding of what you need to take the pictures you want to take. See number 4 for more...

2. I will need a bag too-are back pack style bags ever an option? I'm thinking it could be good for longer hikes?

Backpacks are great, but if you already have a decent backpack that you like, just get a Lowepro TLZ case and pop that in the top. It'll give you the best of both worlds. You don't have a load of gear, so don't burden yourself with the expense of a camera specific backpack, unless you really want one. If so, look again at Lowepro, Tamrac or Manfrotto. See number 4 for more...

3. Also what size SD should I go for? I read if you want to use RAW, you should go for an SD with a very big capacity?

32-64GB if you want to shoot RAW/Video, 16GB is grand if you're going to shoot JPEGs only. RAW files need you to work on them. Factor in more time, more effort learning and to be honest, a bit of a distraction from developing good technique with your camera if you're new to everything. Don't drive yourself to distraction with that though. Get what's in your budget and you can always add another card later for more space/redundancy. See number 4 for more...

4. Any other purchases I need to consider with camera -extra battery /power pack?

You'll get a lot of pictures with a single battery and even a fair bit of video. If you want the freedom to be out all day, you can pick up a second one. That said, you'd be better keeping the money in your pocket if you'll be anywhere you can plug in the charger and top up the battery while you have coffee/lunch etc.

Don't be tempted to waste your money on a cheap full size tripod. Buy one in a couple of months if you're hell bent on it. Better option is to look out for a used Manfrotto 190 or similar with a ballhead. For twice the price of a piece of crap cheapie you'll have a tripod that's tens of times better and will last you for all your DSLR photography life. For now, consider a little Manfrotto tabletop tripod which is dead handy and if the 3300 doesn't come with it, get a Nikon ML-3L remote, or a knock-off version on ebay etc. Don't pay 35-40 in the shops here for one.

Avoid buying ANYTHING other than the camera, lens and memory card when you place your order or go in to a shop etc. Bring the camera home, spend some time getting to grips with the controls and learning how to take good pictures (which you can do without ANY extra bits at all), then take that newfound understanding and look sceptically at every gadget or extra you might think you need. I'm talking about filters and lens protectors and cleaning cloths, dust blowers and brushes, padded camera straps and gimmicks. You don't need ANY of those things if you have 1 camera with 1 lens fitted to it, a charged battery, your memory card and the strap that comes in the box.

The best advice I can offer is this:

Buy what you need to pick up a camera, compose your image, focus and record it to the memory card. Those other accessories won't do anything for you if you can't do that bit right, and it takes time to practice and to be able to understand what can be fixed with another piece of gear and what comes down to learning the correct techniques etc.

If you have a limited budget now, but you're serious about taking this up as a hobby or otherwise, do yourself a favour and get a camera you're happy with and one good lens. From youtube channels to gear-heads all over the internet, magazines and the people in the camera shops, too much of their interests lean towards selling things you don't need or more specifically, things that will not do anything for you that you can't do with what you already have in your hands. Sure, some thing help, but wait until you know what will make a difference to you once you have the personal experience to base your decisions upon.

5. Sorry for all the questions but I'm a complete rookie& also on a big budget!

We were all rookies once. Many still are. There's no harm in it. Just don't be the rookie who starts out with a load of bits and pieces leaving your budget smashed, where half the stuff will never be used and you'll wish you'd kept the few quid to buy better or more suitable versions of the other half, the useful things you'll discover in time that you actually need/want.

Long answer and all but I think it's good advice to offer. Anyone else?

Really fantastic advice! Thank you so much for taking so much time to provide such good info!! Took the plunge & got the 3300D...can't wait to get to know it &.start snapping!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Alan G wrote: »
    Great advice there, all taken on board by myself anyway. Thanks guys.

Would you think the D3400 is worth the extra €50 over the D3300?

Essentially the same spec, however the D3400 boasts a lighter body weight, greater battery life and Nikon's snapbridge bluetooth compatibility.

Sensor Cleaning,Flash distance and Mic setups are also different.

Advertisement