Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people get away with tiny number plates?

• 02-01-2017 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Like these

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You can get away with it and at the same time sometimes not......some guards won't care some will depends who pulls you over on any given day.....I used have one but got it mentioned to me enough times to change it, didn't want to run the risk of running into the same guard again and again over a fking number plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have small plates on my bikes..never had an issue..yellow irish plate is pushing it a bit imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was pulled by a guard a few years ago, asked for my license ,insurance, the usual, had a look at my bike and let me on my way, he never complained about anything.
    Got a summons a while later for the number plate being wrong, same style as above.
    Was in Limerick court,
    Told the judge the story, that i was pulled over , checked all documents and let me on my way and the guard never mentioned anything.
    Judge let me on my way.

Anyway to answer your question yea you can get done for it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The only reason people have small plates is to act the ballax. Pretending it's for aesthetics.

Lets be fair like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Make sure you tighten those tax disk holders no matter what plate you have !! They have a tendency to "obscure" plates making them very hard to see ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

listermint wrote: »
    The only reason people have small plates is to act the ballax. Pretending it's for aesthetics.

Lets be fair like.

Nah thats a bit of a generalisation m8, alot of lads have a bang tidy sports bike and dont want a big fookin "Blockbusters" reg. And if lads get a tail tidy to smarten up the big the normal reg looks ****.

The normal square reg is big and looks even bigger on a sports bike IMHO, grand on a sports tourer.

I just have the run of the mill reg with a loose "tax holder".

In fairness I am prone to the odd redline moment and dont exactly drive like miss daisy and I aint got a small reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lets be fair like.

I've a smaller than legal reg plate on my bike, it's not as small as the OP it's about 2/3 sized. On a trip years ago a friend had a legal sized plate, he's a UK bike, and the thing was monstrous even on a standard Bandit. On anything sporty legal plates are massive and even run of the mill bikes they are too big.

Yeah there's a reason they are big so they can be read, that's the point.

Without getting into arguments it's purely for acting the ballax no difference to the lads with silver plates on silver cars with italics.

I think we can all be darn honest about it.

Not every objection has to be taken as the basis for an argument....

I have been out with hundreds of lads over the last few years on ride outs etc, none of which even remotely ride like a loon who just have a very tidy sportsbike complete with huge chicken strips and small registration plates for a nice clean look.

Yes, of course there are people who have small reg plates "purely" for acting the maggot, but its not the only reason for having a small reg plate.

In fact I would say the majority of lads I have met with the "loose tax disc" ride alot more like its stolen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As I said..all my bikes have small plates....I'm too old to act the ball1x .....my mind and body aren't what they used to be...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a small are of sorts on my HD because physically nothing else will fit - never had an issue and I'm out with AGS guys a fair bit.

My SO otoh has a near full size plate and got pulled for not having the blue IRL bit on it. ...go figure....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

UK plates are huge - I got one on my shed wall :)

Legal size here is half the width and height of a car plate, that goes for the 'square' and the 'rectangle', especially the rectangle can look small while still being fully legal

Nothing worse than seeing an air brake on an Irish bike out of pure ignorance, looks cack. Truck sized plates are very popular among Deauville riders for some odd reason.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

I've a 6x1 plate on one of the bikes, I put it on because the original looked like a barn door on it, never had an issue and I don't act the b*llix on the bike.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not every objection has to be taken as the basis for an argument....

I have been out with hundreds of lads over the last few years on ride outs etc, none of which even remotely ride like a loon who just have a very tidy sportsbike complete with huge chicken strips and small registration plates for a nice clean look.

Yes, of course there are people who have small reg plates "purely" for acting the maggot, but its not the only reason for having a small reg plate.

In fact I would say the majority of lads I have met with the "loose tax disc" ride alot more like its stolen!!!

True its not the basis of an argument. But tbf whats the point in setting standards in reg plates if people can pick and choose what they like ?

I mean you would get screwed to a mast in the UK for it if you get caught with one. But we have an oul nod and a wink attitude to alot of stuff on this fair isle. Most of the time to our own detriment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Legal size here is half the width and height of a car plate, that goes for the 'square' and the 'rectangle', especially the rectangle can look small while still being fully legal

Nothing worse than seeing an air brake on an Irish bike out of pure ignorance, looks cack. Truck sized plates are very popular among Deauville riders for some odd reason.

^^^^this.....is because the panniers etc are all built in, and are not removable, that if you put on a small plate it looks kack. You end up with this sea of black plastic with nothing on it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I've change the size of the plate on almost every bike I've had and not to prevent being snapped by the speed vans, it's to give a nicer look to the bike
    On some bikes a plate a little smaller make the bike look a lot better, don't go too small but just enough so the plate won't stick out like a sore thumb, and don't ride like a knob cos if you do it's just another excuse for them

Or you could do this

91c66665638d0e2f23b581a2fb34b305.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

mamax wrote: »
    I've change the size of the plate on almost every bike I've had and not to prevent being snapped by the speed vans, it's to give a nicer look to the bike
    On some bikes a plate a little smaller make the bike look a lot better, don't go too small but just enough so the plate won't stick out like a sore thumb, and don't ride like a knob cos if you do it's just another excuse for them

Or you could do this

91c66665638d0e2f23b581a2fb34b305.jpg

Mine was small since I bought it and the only reason I want to change it is because of that silly advertisment on the number plate showing where you bought the bike.
    Also I don't think greed vans catch bikes anyway as there is no way to for them to get a photograph of the number plate, never heard of anyone being done by a speed van, not talking about the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Johnboner wrote: »
    Also I don't think greed vans catch bikes anyway as there is no way to for them to get a photograph of the number plate, never heard of anyone being done by a speed van, not talking about the Garda.

I got done by a van. 59 in s 50 zone at 4:30 am going to an old girlfriends house after work. Never saw the van was incredibly surprised when I got it, not least because I was still laughing at her getting 2 sets of points from a different van that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

Whatever about small number plates some lads are totally taking the piss with the reg "plate" just above the wheel attached to the sub frame pointing down at a 45 degree angle. Have seen lads with plates and the reg drawn on with what looks like chalk. Have seen plates that you would need a pair of binoculars to view from 5 mtrs away.
    As has been said above there is a touch of the old nod and a wink, are shure it will be grand mentality in this country. Bikers as a community generally get away with murder and the cops dont seem too intent on enforcing the laws as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where's a good place (in/near Dublin?) to get a small but not piss-taking numberplate made up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Had plenty of sailboards in the UK (along with big indicators and quiet exhausts), never bothered changing any of them for anything but road legal spec (sometimes going for a portrait plate / 3 liner back in the day when they were allowed).

In the case of this one:

31319952083_5d7529df7e_z.jpg
    DSCF0016 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Well I had one of these to cover up!
    scott2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

This is interesting, it has always puzzled me how people put up this small license plates and get away with it.

In some cases its so small that you can't even read it, you might as well not put it at all (which is I think one of the main reasons people do it tbh).

I also understand the aesthetics side, but unfortunately being able to read a license plate from a certain distance should be more important than looking good, I have even seen some bikes plate under the mudguard facing down!

I wonder if they decide to introduce that license plate reading system as they use in the UK they will force people to adapt/resize their plates to meet standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

mines purely for aesthetics, evidenced by the fact I didnt behave any better when I didnt have a tail tidy

Bohrio wrote: »
    This is interesting, it has always puzzled me how people put up this small license plates and get away with it.

In some cases its so small that you can't even read it, you might as well not put it at all (which is I think one of the main reasons people do it tbh).

I also understand the aesthetics side, but unfortunately being able to read a license plate from a certain distance should be more important than looking good, I have even seen some bikes plate under the mudguard facing down!

I wonder if they decide to introduce that license plate reading system as they use in the UK they will force people to adapt/resize their plates to meet standards.

You are purely thinking about this from a Garda (legal) point of view....lol.

For me its imperative that my reg not be legible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You are purely thinking about this from a Garda (legal) point of view....lol.

For me its imperative that my reg not be legible.

Lol

I am, but also from mine, if I am involved in an accident and a motorbike hits me and runs away I would like to see the plate before he legs it ;) (hypothetically speaking)

In all fairness we are lucky we can get away with it, we are basically given the option to drive as if we didnt have regs, which should never be the case, doesnt matter if it is for aesthetics or just to stay under the radar! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lets be fair like.

I don't think so. Aesthetics are the main reason for most people imho. I have a small plate, not as small as the one in the OP, that's just taking the píss.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Having been outside and measured the plate on my bike and looked up the regs I will have to turn myself in to the Guards. :o:D

Plate is 165mm square. That's 2mm too narrow :eek: (should be minimum 170mm with a 3mm tolerance)

Square minimum 170 x 110, rectangular 260 x 55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah but you're way too big in the other direction so it evens out :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Just be nice n polite to Mr garda/policeman and you will get away with it,even a complete lack of a numberplate.:pac::D

20160811_112832_zpsyzlbb7nq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just be nice n polite to Mr garda/policeman and you will get away with it,even a complete lack of a numberplate.:pac::D

That one is taking the piss

Advertisement