Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV - DIY - AliExpress

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Morning,

I did a DIY PV solar install,as per topic HERE, but with parts sourced from EU and well known suppliers,from EU and locally
    All best quality,no compromises made.
    I never tought to get anything off Mr Ali...most of the parts are anyway sourced from that part of the planet,sold loclaly and just added Paddys taxes!

Is fun while doing in diy style but if you have not touched PVs before i advise to ask somebody instead for profesional advice.
    Read the topics on that section,there is alots of maths and reading to be done before pressing the "Pay Now" / "add to basket" buton ! :)

Have fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Surely if these are grid-tied then we are in the realms of Controlled (and in the case of domestic installations Restricted) Works!!!

First they are small and "nasty" 100W panels.
    When space is at a premium,you will need a 300W panel and not a 100W!

Then,that invertor is a joke,is ok for 500W max power but with a 500W system you will just waste your hopes !
    In order to connect it to grid you will need an Irish network approved inverter and your ESB meter upgraded too.

Also,do not forget INSURED delivery, taxes, customs and warranty !

Today,my near 2500W made a 500Wh, now is 140W just to keep the inverter warm...here !

Have fun... and welcome to PV world ! :)

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Surely if these are grid-tied then we are in the realms of Controlled (and in the case of domestic installations Restricted) Works!!!

Oh I doubt that inverter is even legal in EU, I'd be highly sceptical it has G83/2 or similar compliance. There is a few plug and play inverters on 13A plugs you can get professionally installed by a sparks.

12V panels are completely unsuitable for grid tied. 100W panels are not small and nasty they are ⅓ the size of 300W panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

rolion wrote: »

Today,my near 2500W made a 500Wh, now is 140W just to keep the inverter warm...here !

Have fun... and welcome to PV world ! :)

Is the data on that site correct? 363.8 units since you installed it? (Less than €72 savings)

I realise that Sept-Jan won't be your best months, but how long will you expect your system to take to repay the investment?

• Advertisement

Is the data on that site correct?

This is generally fairly accurate...obviously not 100% but reasonable.

Payback depends on how much you spend in the first place. whistling.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

This is generally fairly accurate...obviously not 100% but reasonable.

Payback depends on how much you spend in the first place. whistling.gif

Interesting site,

Just for fun I put in 100w peak (1 panel, cheapest on the site was $107) gives an average of 227Wh daily or an annual total of about 83 units (kWh)

@ 17c per unit (rates currently vary from ~13-17.4) saves ~€14 per annum which is about 8 years, however that's without any "extras" such as wiring, mounting and battery (or any other equipment)

Even 8 years is a bit too long in my opinion, considering risk of failures etc that could result in additional costs.

We've "argued" a lot of watts about the RoI and the TCO of these systems on the "renewables energy" topic.

Here is a list of Irish PV systems,the total outcome based on their installation date(s):

405340.jpg

Even 8 years is a bit too long in my opinion,

That's why I get second hand kit and install it myself, or look for other ways to make it pay. The campervan is a perfect application. I was costing me €1.20 per kWh for alternator lecky or €5 for a 10A 230v supply overnight in a campsite on a system designed to run at < 50W then another €20 for the pleasure of parking beside the ceeform socket.

For a lot of sheds it's a far cheaper/more practical solution than running a standing supply.

The other thing is economies of scale, the bigger the panel the cheaper per watt; less processing. A 200W panel has less materials and manufacturing time than two 100Ws. Less glass cutting, sealing, testing, aluminium framing etc...

...considering risk of failures etc that could result in additional costs.

It's a pretty robust system, solid state semiconductors and copper, life expectancy of a consumer grade inverter is 10 years. Everything else in the system is > 25 years.

€1.20 per watt installed seems to be the going rate in Éire. It's dropped to $0.36 per watt for industrial installs.

In terms of energy payback it's 4 years. How many appliances do that?

Running your Xmas lights off photons..priceless!:p

Advertisement