Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee - Property to Buy

Options
  • 02-01-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to buy in the Tralee area. Is now the right time to buy. There seems to be a hugh selection of houses on offer and only approx. 30rentals for the town. He is looking for a house around 100-150k mark, but perhaps 100k is what we have recommended to him. Does anyone have a list of the 'to live' areas for Tralee in order of preference or is it possible to single out the good/bad areas, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Kerry forum charter applies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

James 007 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is looking to buy in the Tralee area. Is now the right time to buy. There seems to be a hugh selection of houses on offer and only approx. 30rentals for the town. He is looking for a house around 100-150k mark, but perhaps 100k is what we have recommended to him. Does anyone have a list of the 'to live' areas for Tralee in order of preference or is it possible to single out the good/bad areas, any advice appreciated.

Apparently it is a good time to buy as prices are still low here in comparison to other parts of the country. I know there is a shortage or rental properties in the town, but that's happening everywhere.
    I wouldn't like to say there's any good or bad ares. It wouldn't be fair to people who live there and are reading. There aren't any particularly bad areas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The most desirable locations tend to have developments of detached houses only and none will be on offer for under 200K (Mounthawk, Ballyard etc) but there are large parts of Caherslee, Monavalley, Oakpark and the newer developments on the Castlemaine Road, Ballyvelly or going out towards the Kerries all have good quaility semi-detached homes in safe neighbourhoods where you can get decent sized homes for under 150K. Bear in mind that some may be 1970s era and will require hefty additional funds to modernise/insulate etc.

There are new developments in Lee Drive and Clashlehane Meadows on the Ballinorig Road that look nice on Streetview but I cannot say what they are like in reality.

Check out properties that catch your eye on Daft or Myhome and then have your friend have a look at the areas on Streetview and then drive around such locations to get a feel for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Apparently it is a good time to buy as prices are still low here in comparison to other parts of the country. I know there is a shortage or rental properties in the town, but that's happening everywhere.
    I wouldn't like to say there's any good or bad ares. It wouldn't be fair to people who live there and are reading. There aren't any particularly bad areas anyway.

Thanks for that. He is going to have a look around
    ongarboy wrote: »
    The most desirable locations tend to have developments of detached houses only and none will be on offer for under 200K (Mounthawk, Ballyard etc) but there are large parts of Caherslee, Monavalley, Oakpark and the newer developments on the Castlemaine Road, Ballyvelly or going out towards the Kerries all have good quaility semi-detached homes in safe neighbourhoods where you can get decent sized homes for under 150K. Bear in mind that some may be 1970s era and will require hefty additional funds to modernise/insulate etc.

There are new developments in Lee Drive and Clashlehane Meadows on the Ballinorig Road that look nice on Streetview but I cannot say what they are like in reality.

Check out properties that catch your eye on Daft or Myhome and then have your friend have a look at the areas on Streetview and then drive around such locations to get a feel for them.

He will be looking to rent out the house. How desirable is it to be able to walk to town as opposed to living outside the town. I know it is different here in Dublin, but in Tralee, will it make much difference to its rental potential in the long run. Ideally buy at €100-120k say and put €50k max into doing up a 2nd hand house. We will mention regarding the new developments too. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

James 007 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. He is going to have a look around

He will be looking to rent out the house. How desirable is it to be able to walk to town as opposed to living outside the town. I know it is different here in Dublin, but in Tralee, will it make much difference to its rental potential in the long run. Ideally buy at €100-120k say and put €50k max into doing up a 2nd hand house. We will mention regarding the new developments too. Thanks.

PM sent James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I don't know if there is that much for sale. Daft has I think 300 odd listings 3 or 4 years ago it was 800-900.

Advertisement