Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs Brown's Boys and Mrs Brown type 'comedy'

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glad that my ignorance is amusing to you.

At least you're honest;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think people are missing the point re BOC's humour.
    He isn't stupid enough to think what he is doing is classic comedy, he knows it is cheap, crude, silly, so bad it is "good" (for his hintended market) type comedy.
    If you ever listen to BOC in a proper interview, the man is very streetwise intelligent, he acknowledged that this innuendo slapstick cheaply produced stage humour would be easy viewing and would be subjectively appealing, but importantly, would be so slapstick, it would be appealling to a big market.
    There are comedies like Curb your Enthusiasm or even The US Office (both of which I love!) where the joke is often hidden humour and may not appeal to such a demographic.
    Put one of those on a Prime Time slot on UK tv and I guarantee you they won't get the same amount of viewers. In these the joke isn't as obvious to many and and may be more subtle or undertoned.

Of course there are comedies like Fawlty Towers and Fr Ted that mix a bit of both slapstick and subtle humour but mainly the former and again, extreme success.

The other thing that viewers of Mrs Brown might like is the panto type set up. IE where the show suddenly goes off course from "the script" with a smart comment that seems to be spontaneous from BOC. All these "spontaneous jokes" are, of course rehearsed, even though the rest of the cast pretend they came out of nowhere and caught them off guard!

Like this:

Rory and the other girl, can't think of her name seem to not expect the joke and giggle like this is completely out of the script and pretend they don't know what to do but giggle (or try not to do same) But it has clearly been rehearsed

It appeals to the audience as it is panto. It makes people laugh. If you want to moan about people having fun and laughing, no matter the comedy, you are obviously very dry! Find your own humour and let others that enjoy comedies that you don't like, enjoy them!

At the very least don't watch it if you hate it! The show doesn't appeal to me really, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it but I actually do find myself laughing at some of it if it is on! I quite like innuendo jokes! They are cheap comedy but we all have made such a joke down the pub!

It is childish but it brings a giggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It's like a panto, recorded in front of a live audience. I have to say I always end up having a good few laughs when I watch it. In fairness to Brendan O'Carroll, he has been very successful. The movie was a great laugh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

If it is panto, let them keep it in theatres then, not clogging up tv channels.

I particularly hate the amateur cast, they are either wooden or there to act dumb so Mrs. Brown can come out with some wiseass comment. The mincing gay son is so cliched and insulting, and sorry "sure it's only a laugh" doesn't cut it. It's offensive and dumb. What next a Pakistani neighbour that Mrs. Brown misunderstands to comedic effect? Jesus, I thought the 70s were over, and people had copped on a bit.

It also irks me when O'Carroll think it's charming when the cast forget their lines, or start laughing. It's so amatuer, it's clearly for people that don't want complicated things like plot, or well thought out jokes, or indeed having to look at talented, trained actors do their stuff. Sure get Joe Duffy on....hahaha there's Joe Duffy :) It's funny because we recognise him. Mrs Brown could stand there saying f*ck for 20 minutes, kicking granddad up the arse and still get viewers. It's like Donald Trump, he could have punched a baby in the face live on air, and he would still get votes.

Also, hate Mrs. Brown's daughter/wife hybrid. She sounds like an ashtray, I never know what the hell she's saying.

The only thing I think that could have made it a vaguely interesting comedy premise would be if Mrs. Brown was the dad, but his wife and mother of his children died, he was heart-broken, had a nervous breakdown and started dressing up as Mrs. Brown. He could still be doing his same crap jokes, like in the show, but the kids are worried about him/her. Kind of like Mrs. Doubtfire but with a talentless tool in the lead role. And yes I know O'Carroll is rich and successful, and does stuff for charity and tosses Joe Duffy's salad....I don't care. I'm not a begrudger, I just have a standards.

Ok, from now on I only post about things I like, this thread is over for me :pac:

I particularly hate the amateur cast, they are either wooden or there to act dumb so Mrs. Brown can come out with some wiseass comment. The mincing gay son is so cliched and insulting, and sorry "sure it's only a laugh" doesn't cut it. It's offensive and dumb. What next a Pakistani neighbour that Mrs. Brown misunderstands to comedic effect? Jesus, I thought the 70s were over, and people had copped on a bit.

It also irks me when O'Carroll think it's charming when the cast forget their lines, or start laughing. It's so amatuer, it's clearly for people that don't want complicated things like plot, or well thought out jokes, or indeed having to look at talented, trained actors do their stuff. Sure get Joe Duffy on....hahaha there's Joe Duffy :) It's funny because we recognise him. Mrs Brown could stand there saying f*ck for 20 minutes, kicking granddad up the arse and still get viewers. It's like Donald Trump, he could have punched a baby in the face live on air, and he would still get votes.

Also, hate Mrs. Brown's daughter/wife hybrid. She sounds like an ashtray, I never know what the hell she's saying.

The only thing I think that could have made it a vaguely interesting comedy premise would be if Mrs. Brown was the dad, but his wife and mother of his children died, he was heart-broken, had a nervous breakdown and started dressing up as Mrs. Brown. He could still be doing his same crap jokes, like in the show, but the kids are worried about him/her. Kind of like Mrs. Doubtfire but with a talentless tool in the lead role. And yes I know O'Carroll is rich and successful, and does stuff for charity and tosses Joe Duffy's salad....I don't care. I'm not a begrudger, I just have a standards.

Ok, from now on I only post about things I like, this thread is over for me :pac:
    You clearly don't like it or enjoy it and that's absolutely fine. I have to admit I wasn't a fan initially and then one night I ended up having to watch it. I was hooked.

It is on stage, but due to popularity he got a tv show offer that has made him millions and is a Ratings winner......I don't see the logic in refusing to put it on tv on this evidence.

I particularly hate the amateur cast, they are either wooden or there to act dumb so Mrs. Brown can come out with some wiseass comment.

They are amateur, and that is idea of the show. The cast are actually BOC's family. It is an ingenious idea from BOC that has not only made him a millionaire but made his relatives very rich also!

The mincing gay son (Sure that isn't homophobic at all.....and you pretending to be insulted by gay clicheisms! is so cliched and insulting, and sorry "sure it's only a laugh" doesn't cut it. It's offensive and dumb. no calling a gay man a mincer is offensive! What next a Pakistani neighbour that Mrs. Brown misunderstands to comedic effect? Jesus, I thought the 70s were over, and people had copped on a bit.

It also irks me when O'Carroll think it's charming when the cast forget their lines, or start laughing. It's so amatuer,]

As I said above that is all intentional and buys into the panto genre of the show

it's clearly for people that don't want complicated things like plot, or well thought out jokes, So what?or indeed having to look at talented, trained actors do their stuff. . Brendan O Carroll has always maintained he has nothing against "talented trained actors doing their stuff, despite being questioned on the subject a multitude of times by the actors guild.......................

Mrs Brown could stand there saying f*ck for 20 minutes, kicking granddad up the arse and still get viewers. It's like Donald Trump, he could have punched a baby in the face live on air, and he would still get votes. what in gods name does this little comparison mean ......and you have the stupidity of questioning other peoples intelligence

Also, hate Mrs. Brown's daughter/wife hybrid. She sounds like an ashtray, I never know what the hell she's saying. Poor you.

The only thing I think that could have made it a vaguely interesting comedy premise would be if Mrs. Brown was the dad, but his wife and mother of his children died, he was heart-broken, had a nervous breakdown and started dressing up as Mrs. Brown. He could still be doing his same crap jokes, like in the show, but the kids are worried about him/her. Kind of like Mrs. Doubtfire but with a talentless tool in the lead role. That sounds like an awful idea, your humour won't make you money!

And yes I know O'Carroll is rich and successful, and does stuff for charity and tosses Joe Duffy's salad....

I don't care.You clearly do!! I'm not a begrudger,You clearly are I just have a standards Sure why not watch the comedies that meet your standards and avoid Mrs Browns standards!.

Ok, from now on I only post about things I like, this thread is over for me No it isn't, you will reply to this!!:pac:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr E wrote: »
    I don't watch it but if I do happen to see if while browsing, I'll always get a few chuckles out of it (more often from the improvisation and outtakes than the actual scripted stuff).

Fair play to Brendan and family - it has done very well for them.

FYI for previous poster - your 12 year old cousin is pulling your leg - no 12 year old believes in Santa. :o
    Shame on you mod of the TV forum, there is no improvisation and outtakes, its all badly scripted and badly acted especially the so called "outtakes". Maybe if it had happened once or twice you'd think it was natural but it happens 5 times an episode, this sort of sh1te:

I think people are missing the point re BOC's humour.
    He isn't stupid enough to think what he is doing is classic comedy, he knows it is cheap, crude, silly, so bad it is "good" (for his hintended market) type comedy.
    If you ever listen to BOC in a proper interview, the man is very streetwise intelligent, he acknowledged that this innuendo slapstick cheaply produced stage humour would be easy viewing and would be subjectively appealing, but importantly, would be so slapstick, it would be appealling to a big market.
    There are comedies like Curb your Enthusiasm or even The US Office (both of which I love!) where the joke is often hidden humour and may not appeal to such a demographic.
    Put one of those on a Prime Time slot on UK tv and I guarantee you they won't get the same amount of viewers. In these the joke isn't as obvious to many and and may be more subtle or undertoned.

Of course there are comedies like Fawlty Towers and Fr Ted that mix a bit of both slapstick and subtle humour but mainly the former and again, extreme success.

The other thing that viewers of Mrs Brown might like is the panto type set up. IE where the show suddenly goes off course from "the script" with a smart comment that seems to be spontaneous from BOC. All these "spontaneous jokes" are, of course rehearsed, even though the rest of the cast pretend they came out of nowhere and caught them off guard!

Like this:

Rory and the other girl, can't think of her name seem to not expect the joke and giggle like this is completely out of the script and pretend they don't know what to do but giggle (or try not to do same) But it has clearly been rehearsed

It appeals to the audience as it is panto. It makes people laugh. If you want to moan about people having fun and laughing, no matter the comedy, you are obviously very dry! Find your own humour and let others that enjoy comedies that you don't like, enjoy them!

At the very least don't watch it if you hate it! The show doesn't appeal to me really, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it but I actually do find myself laughing at some of it if it is on! I quite like innuendo jokes! They are cheap comedy but we all have made such a joke down the pub!

It is childish but it brings a giggle!
    I used that example in my post before I saw yours, Im embarrassed for people that cant spot this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've always had a hit and miss relationship with Ms. Brown but one thing I love about it is the joy I see it bringing to people's lives and how Boards users get so wound up about it is gunny to!

• Advertisement

I've always had a hit and miss relationship with Ms. Brown but one thing I love about it is the joy I see it bringing to people's lives and how Boards users get so wound up about it is gunny to!
    I totally agree. I wasn't Brendan O'Carroll's number 1 fan but he has had a great success with this show.

Thargor wrote: »
    I used that example in my post before I saw yours, Im embarrassed for people that cant spot this stuff.

I am tired but I assume you are agreeing with my sentiments that the "spontaneous improvisation" is actually rehearsed and is part of the "script" but played out not to be, yeah?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i like mrs brown

after a long day workingn and dealing with customers and working out measurments etc it is nice to sit down and relax.
    you can turn off your brain and have a laugh.
    there are grat programs out there that chalange you intelectually but its nice to leave the brain on stand by

I am tired but I assume you are agreeing with my sentiments that the "spontaneous improvisation" is actually rehearsed and is part of the "script" but played out not to be, yeah?!
    Of course, there is a slim chance the first time or two it happened was an accident but you can see the desperation they had for anything to pad out an episode that suddenly it started happening 5 times every ep.

Did Mr. Brown kill himself?

Thargor wrote: »
    Of course, there is a slim chance the first time or two it happened was an accident but you can see the desperation they had for anything to pad out an episode that suddenly it started happening 5 times every ep.

I wouldn't say it's desparation...............it is part of the appeal of the show........the idea that BOC can be so quick witted spontaneously and go "off script" with a funny line makes people laugh (even if realistically he has rehearsed the diversion)! The idea that the other cast members "weren't expecting the improvisation" feeds into the warmth the viewers have for the show!

It is quite ingenious to be fair! BOC's communication with the audience during the show is a great idea, it feeds into the silly panto element and it therefore both makes people laugh and makes people a lot of money! Win Win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

What a James Blunt .

I was about to thank your post till I realised what you were calling Brendan. Can't stand the program but I really admire his perseverance. When he tried out the character on the Late Late Show in the 90's it didn't really go down well. He kept making tweaks until he hit on a formula that sold. (Wasn't the first iteration something like the Mammy?) While I don't like the character or the program I have great respect for the man. Anyone who can go through such a length of time without giving up for what everyone said was a lost cause is worth admiring.

While programs like Fr. Ted and Only Fools And Horses may not have been the best of comedies they had moments that make the whole series
    Fr. Ted -> Those cows are far away, kicking bishop Brennan up the arse, A Song for Europe (my lovely horse - which is a great song - we got to lose that sax solo)
    Only Fools and Horses -> The yuppie one where Dell Boy leans on the bar

Gonna use that reference in future "What a James Blunt". Excellent :pac: :pac:

vicwatson wrote: »
    You're beautiful

The wittiest response I have seen in an age. Take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

q2ice wrote: »
    I was about to thank your post till I realised what you were calling Brendan. Can't stand the program but I really admire his perseverance. When he tried out the character on the Late Late Show in the 90's it didn't really go down well. He kept making tweaks until he hit on a formula that sold. (Wasn't the first iteration something like the Mammy?) While I don't like the character or the program I have great respect for the man. Anyone who can go through such a length of time without giving up for what everyone said was a lost cause is worth admiring.

While programs like Fr. Ted and Only Fools And Horses may not have been the best of comedies they had moments that make the whole series
    Fr. Ted -> Those cows are far away, kicking bishop Brennan up the arse, A Song for Europe (my lovely horse - which is a great song - we got to lose that sax solo)
    Only Fools and Horses -> The yuppie one where Dell Boy leans on the bar

From what I can recall, the earlier versions of Mrs Brown were a bit sterner and more severe, she was more of a cantankerous battle axe with an edge to her.

To Brendan's credit, he kept modifying the concept of Mrs Brown for years until he hit on a winning formula : a loud fishwife type with a caustic tongue on her certainly but also warm hearted and a good mother underneath, she's quite layered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting to see some posters point out how this is another example of how RTÉ can't do comedy when in actual fact it's not really an RTÉ production, it's a BBC Scotland production. RTÉ get an "in association with" credit at the end but it mustn't be a great association because 6 odd years later they don't even use proper RTÉ logo.
    Remote controls are great things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Did Mr. Brown kill himself?

if he did, i wouldn't blame him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't get the outrage over it. Sure, I don't like it and think it's terrible. But I wouldn't condescending to people that do like it. Some of the comedy I enjoy people think is appalling, and others some people won't get. Comedy especially, is very subjective.

But I don't get the outrage. It's 2017, you have IPTV, streaming, netflix and 500 channels on Sky. I've never ever been in a situation where I had to watch it, and didn't just breeze by it.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Interesting to see some posters point out how this is another example of how RTÉ can't do comedy when in actual fact it's not really an RTÉ production, it's a BBC Scotland production. RTÉ get an "in association with" credit at the end but it mustn't be a great association because 6 odd years later they don't even use proper RTÉ logo.
    Remote controls are great things.

What posters said that?

Mrs Brown comes across as really bad amateur comedy. It's like it's made by people who don't know what comedy is. It's for morons who think a man dressed up as a old woman, talking about sex and effing and blinding is funny. The jokes don't even make sense. There are some people that will laugh at anything, the lowest common denominator, and O'Carroll is their champion. These people probably wouldn't get good comedy, so it becomes an us against them thing; I am an elitist because I don't look to the gutter for my comedy. Face it, some people are thick, and others aren't and if you like Mrs. Brown, in my book you are thick. I find it as funny as Roy Chubby Brown or some other antiquated ****e. It doesn't even come close to On The Buses or other dated UK sitcoms. It's a weird show, but we live in weird divisive times, with Trump in the White House. Of course Mrs Brown will find an audience.

And I'm not some begrudger (the usual defence for any attack on something Irish that is p*ss poor); I wish there were great Irish comedy shows, but there aren't because RTE does not do comedy, and anyone genuinely talented fecks off to the UK.

Grrrr. Damn you Mrs Brown you got a reaction from me again. I can hear her laugh echoing!!!

Just read this post again, god you sound like a ........... .And I don't even really like the show at all!!

Mrs Brown comes across as really bad amateur comedy. It's like it's made by people who don't know what comedy is. It's for morons who think a man dressed up as a old woman, talking about sex and effing and blinding is funny. The jokes don't even make sense. There are some people that will laugh at anything, the lowest common denominator, and O'Carroll is their champion. These people probably wouldn't get good comedy, so it becomes an us against them thing; I am an elitist because I don't look to the gutter for my comedy. Face it, some people are thick, and others aren't and if you like Mrs. Brown, in my book you are thick. I find it as funny as Roy Chubby Brown or some other antiquated ****e. It doesn't even come close to On The Buses or other dated UK sitcoms. It's a weird show, but we live in weird divisive times, with Trump in the White House. Of course Mrs Brown will find an audience.

And I'm not some begrudger (the usual defence for any attack on something Irish that is p*ss poor); I wish there were great Irish comedy shows, but there aren't because RTE does not do comedy, and anyone genuinely talented fecks off to the UK.

Grrrr. Damn you Mrs Brown you got a reaction from me again. I can hear her laugh echoing!!!

Just read this post again, god you sound like a ........... .And I don't even really like the show at all!!

I watched Mrs. Brown's chatshow last night. It was light hearted, had reasonably entertaining guests. He even made Andy Murray's mother look funny.

soc wrote: »
    Mrs Brown Show reminds me of "When the whistle blows" from Extras...http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rxla3

Through the fake show in Extras, Gervais predicted the low bar of comedy people would find entertaining and inadvertently make popular.

This article sums it up more elegantly https://filmontrial.com/2014/07/08/how-ricky-gervais-predicted-mrs-browns-boys/

This times 100. The first and only episode I watched of MrsBB, I couldn't help but think of 'When the Whistle Blows' and their "tacky shít".

"G'wan...do the face, do the catchphrase...do it!" - Wonder how often Brendan gets accosted with that.

Extras was brilliant with both its comedy and social commentary/observations. The series finale
    with his speech about celebrity while in the Big Brother house
    was powerful and unfortunately bore some truth.

Gervais gets the "one trick pony" criticism often, and it's not wholly misplaced at times, but The Office and Extras were two all-time great comedies IMO, and very different from each other. Andy Millman, his character in Extras, is almost a polar opposite to David Brent from the Office.

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread and want to clarify in case anyone cares - I don't judge anyone for watching MrsBBs, just like I expect not be judged for some of the stuff I watch. Fair play to Brendan, it's a great success for him and his family, I'm just no fan of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What posters said that?
    artvanderlay

flazio wrote: »

What posters said that?
    artvanderlay

Oh..........figures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

This quote speaks to that show (Mrs. Brown's Boys);
    “No one in this world, has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."
    -H. L. Mencken

Mrs Brown is a joint production between RTE and BBC Scotland. Either way it's proof that RTE know nothing about comedy, and the BBC don't know how to make great comedy shows anymore, or even good ones. Too many highly paid executive in these companies that don't want to deal with real talent. Look at the other muck on BBC - Miranda, Outnumbered, Not Going Out, Citizen Khan...absolute unintelligent rubbish of the lowest kind. Of course a show like Mrs. Brown would do well in this climate. And I'm not an elitist; sure I love edgier comedy like Alan Partridge,anything chris morris, the office, peep show, seinfeld, curb, eastbound and down etc, but I also love the comedy shows for all the family that are done well: one foot in the grave, only fools and horses (first 4-5 years) and so on...i'd put them up there with the best...even shows like keeping up appearances, which are repetitive and cliched, at least have wonderful comedy actors in them. I think this Mrs Brown nonsense is an all-time low, what with the amateur cast and bad language/foul sexual content, and trying to pass itself off as just a bit of fun for all the family. It's vile, it's nasty, it's genuinely weird and disturbing but people watch it...but hey people voted for Donald Trump, people like bull-fighting, people like golden showers...people are weird! I take heart from the fact that the viewership figures for Mrs Brown and other current crap comedy shows are minuscule in comparison to the good mainstream comedy shows of yesteryear...maybe there is hope for humanity! (and please don't quote Christmas viewing figures, they are not the norm)

(just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For Reals wrote: »
    This quote speaks to that show (Mrs. Brown's Boys);

I think a Marketing exec from Coca Cola said something similar years ago.

I think it was something like never underestimate how stupid the general public are.

Churchill had a great one also. - "The greatest argument against democracy
    is a five minute conversation with the average voter".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that RTE chose to move Ray D'Arcy to the later spot to make room for Mrs Brown's Boys... If there was ever a two fingers to give to him over the crap he gave them with moving Nuacht, that was it. .. :pac:

And tbh, that's probably the funniest thing about the show.

"RTE... I was there, you were there... And D'Arcy was on an hour after".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny because it's so back to basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fook me. Gotta hand it to O'Carroll, it has to take some amount of talent to be this f-ing sh1t..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

walshb wrote: »
    Fook me. Gotta hand it to O'Carroll, it has to take some amount of talent to be this f-ing sh1t..

O'Carroll does not exist any more . Mrs Brown is real to the fans, there is no O'Carroll . He could walk down a street and no one would give a fcuk, if Mrs Brown walked down a street she would get mobbed .
    Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

The overnight ratings for last Saturdays first episode on BBC1 were 5.51m (29.7%).

The overnight ratings for last nignts episode were 5.53m (29.3%).

I'd say that the BBC are happy enough with their latest hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

For reasons unknown to me Mrs Brown's Boys has become a major hit in both Ireland and the UK. While the first series and maybe the second were somewhat decent, the recent Christmas specials are among the worst drivel I have ever watched. If it was on just RTE (the givers of other atrocities marketed as comedy such as Irish Pictorial Weekly, Wagon's Den and The Walshes) one would not be too surprised BUT BBC are also pushers of it.

Mrs Brown as a character is totally inferior to the great characters created in classic comedies such as Victor Meldrew, Fr Ted Crilly, Mr Bean, Del Boy and Hyacinth Bucket. Yet we are told she is the most popular UK and Irish comedy ever! I can't see why.

RTE rely on Mrs Brown Christmas specials to 'entertain' us. Virtually anything would be better than those 2 episodes shown this Christmas and last Christmas's ones as well. I for one would like to see something else for next Christmas.

I think Pat Shortt's Christmas specials were way better than Mrs Brown. I loved Killinaskully and one could identify with a lot of the characters in it. Plus they were always doing different things and it was filmed and set in a real place rather than a stage. Mattie and Sergeant Mattie I did not enjoy as much as Killinaskully at the time but after rewatching them, they are not bad neither. I also remember Val Falvey TD with Ardal O'Hanlon. I have to try and revisit this. I felt it was poor in some episodes but there were funny scenes too.

Mrs Brown has I feel influenced Irish comedy in a negative way. The Walshes and a few other recent shows are all just derivatives of Mrs Brown. I think Christmas specials for this have run since 2012 and have gotten poorer and poorer as it goes along.

Shows like Mrs Brown's Boys are cheap to make. The Pat Shortt ones were a lot more professionally made and were made on location in Tipperary and Limerick. Because RTE have decided not to spend money on decent programmes, more of Mrs Brown and her types will be shown. We will see Mrs Brown and her boys in her kitchen and sitting room and down meeting the friend in the pub. The same old scenes over and over.

Mrs Brown's Boys is clearly the most overrated, overhyped Irish comedy series ever made. In recent years it also has become one of the poorest. Even Irish Pictorial Weekly would be better than those Christmas Mrs Brown episodes and that is saying something!
    The sad thing is it's still better than Ray darcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Last nights viewing on RTÉ 1.
    9.15. All Round To Mrs. Browns.
    10.25.The Ray D'Arcy Show.
    11.40. Brendan O'Connors Cutting Edge.
    It don't watch any of them but my god it's beyond a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The sad thing is it's still better than Ray darcy

Which in turn is better than Tubridy!

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    Last nights viewing on RTÉ 1.
    9.15. All Round To Mrs. Browns.
    10.25.The Ray D'Arcy Show.
    11.40. Brendan O'Connors Cutting Edge.
    It don't watch any of them but my god it's beyond a joke.

All very poor fare and typical of RTE. The Cutting Edge is desperate drivel with the same old people being pushed all the time. Between Ray D'Arcy and the Tubridy show, there does not seem to be enough material to make even one decent edition of a chatshow every now and again. This Mrs Brown chatshow parody is poor but no worse than the 'real' chatshows.

Mrs Brown is a joint production between RTE and BBC Scotland. Either way it's proof that RTE know nothing about comedy, and the BBC don't know how to make great comedy shows anymore, or even good ones. Too many highly paid executive in these companies that don't want to deal with real talent. Look at the other muck on BBC - Miranda, Outnumbered, Not Going Out, Citizen Khan...absolute unintelligent rubbish of the lowest kind. Of course a show like Mrs. Brown would do well in this climate. And I'm not an elitist; sure I love edgier comedy like Alan Partridge,anything chris morris, the office, peep show, seinfeld, curb, eastbound and down etc, but I also love the comedy shows for all the family that are done well: one foot in the grave, only fools and horses (first 4-5 years) and so on...i'd put them up there with the best...even shows like keeping up appearances, which are repetitive and cliched, at least have wonderful comedy actors in them. I think this Mrs Brown nonsense is an all-time low, what with the amateur cast and bad language/foul sexual content, and trying to pass itself off as just a bit of fun for all the family. It's vile, it's nasty, it's genuinely weird and disturbing but people watch it...but hey people voted for Donald Trump, people like bull-fighting, people like golden showers...people are weird! I take heart from the fact that the viewership figures for Mrs Brown and other current crap comedy shows are minuscule in comparison to the good mainstream comedy shows of yesteryear...maybe there is hope for humanity! (and please don't quote Christmas viewing figures, they are not the norm)

I agree. The standard in RTE and even BBC has gone way down in recent times. Mrs Brown relies on dirt and sadly that gets a certain audience who are of the persuasion 'if it is crude, it is funny'. Mrs Brown delivers to this audience exactly what they want.

Poor fare has an audience that is true. Big Brother, the Voice of Ireland, Glor Tire, Dragon's Den, Room to Improve, etc. All this reality drivel gets made over and over because it is cheap to make and requires no invention. Sadly, TV assumes everyone is unintelligent and makes this dross for the audience who follows it but ignores the majority who want something else besides this type of stuff. Crude comedy, boybands, modern country music, reality TV and so on are the entertainment for those who cannot think for themselves and it is all our TV stations seem to cater for these days sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I agree. The standard in RTE and even BBC has gone way down in recent times. Mrs Brown relies on dirt and sadly that gets a certain audience who are of the persuasion 'if it is crude, it is funny'. Mrs Brown delivers to this audience exactly what they want.

Poor fare has an audience that is true. Big Brother, the Voice of Ireland, Glor Tire, Dragon's Den, Room to Improve, etc. All this reality drivel gets made over and over because it is cheap to make and requires no invention. Sadly, TV assumes everyone is unintelligent and makes this dross for the audience who follows it but ignores the majority who want something else besides this type of stuff. Crude comedy, boybands, modern country music, reality TV and so on are the entertainment for those who cannot think for themselves and it is all our TV stations seem to cater for these days sadly.

That's not true at all. There's PLENTY of great shows and smart comedies etc, but people mostly watch them online. TV will always go with what brings in the biggest audience (Big Bang Theory etc).

Plenty of highly intelligent people laugh at Mrs Brown or enjoy reality TV. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Some people just enjoy switching their brain off when watching TV, and not having to follow complicated plots or subtleties. I switch back and forth from the likes of TBBT or Friends, to something like Hannibal or Parks and Rec, which I'm watching at the moment. It depends on my mood or energy levels, not my level of intelligence.

but ignores the majority who want something else.

Ratings would suggest that it's a minority who want something else.

You and a few other posters on this thread does not 'a majority' make.

Says the poster who speaks about Fair City plots like they are Shakesperean works!!!

The show works for the reasons outlined over the last few pages. If you honestly think Brenda O Carroll thinks he is making or is even trying to make some landmark comedy you are mistaken! It's panto on the TV and it sells because people like the easy viewing stupidness of it all.

Same way FC sells as it's sadly the only serial Irish drama RTE offer. The thing about the latter is it is trying to sell itself as something that it is not whilst BOC sells his show for what it is!

brian_t wrote: »
    Ratings would suggest that it's a minority who want something else.

You and a few other posters on this thread does not 'a majority' make.

No the vast amount of people want other things and it is not just a few posters here. I agree that some people actually are interested. There is one person here with me now watching Dragon's Den for example and enjoying it. Of course stations can using 'ratings' to justify the drivel they keep putting on. Sure, some will go along with anything that TV will fire at us and more will watch these reality things because someone they know is in it.

As long as the same 10% keep tuning in watching whatever or if they leave their TVs on, the ratings will justify the continued making of cheap reality drivel. That does NOT mean it is what most people would like. Although I have to admit that Big Brother is genuinely popular with hordes of people for some reason. That said, I cannot see the likes of Room To Improve or the Irish Dragon's Den or The Apprentice get that sort of a following ever.

• Advertisement

Says the poster who speaks about Fair City plots like they are Shakesperean works!!!

The show works for the reasons outlined over the last few pages. If you honestly think Brenda O Carroll thinks he is making or is even trying to make some landmark comedy you are mistaken! It's panto on the TV and it sells because people like the easy viewing stupidness of it all.

Same way FC sells as it's sadly the only serial Irish drama RTE offer. The thing about the latter is it is trying to sell itself as something that it is not whilst BOC sells his show for what it is!

Never said Fair City plots are Shakesperean. I agree BOC's shows are pantomine, that's exactly what it is.

I enjoy FC by and large. That does not mean I think it is the greatest drama ever made but as you point out, it is the only serial Irish drama RTE offer. It can be very good but can be brutal as well. FC is much more appealing than a lot of the other programmes and to large audiences. Same with Corrie, Emmerdale, etc. All these soaps (love them or loath them) are popular and can alternate between excellent and outright brutal with regard to storylines. FC by and large was better a few years back than it is now. Its Billy Meehan storyline complete with vivid violence was a precursor to Love/Hate and the only time outside of Love/Hate that RTE had the guts to show real violence.

I am unsure about soaps getting too serious. They can mess up an interesting story concept when a serious issue is not thought out well. The FC Katy story is one clear example.

Mrs Brown to me is just overdone at this stage. BOC has made loads of money out of it and I did enjoy the first series. More recent versions of it have failed to develop the character further but with all the success it is getting, as all BOC has to do is don the get up and make it up as he/she goes along.

No the vast amount of people want other things.

I don't know what the ratings are for Ireland are but take the ratings for the UK for example.

Only 29% of the Saturday evening audience want to watch All Round to Mrs Brown's so obviously the vast majority 71% want to watch something else.

The problem is that they all want to watch different things.

Only 23% watched The Voice on UTV.
    C4's Titanic got 3.6%
    C5's Football got 2.2%.

So in the UK it is correct to say that most viewers want to watch Mrs Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same here in Ireland.

Personally I usually watch BBC4 on a Saturday evening. Last night Follow the Money got 1.6% fo the audience share.

I think my biggest problem is that I find very little to watch on regular tv or online. A few years back I used to be excited to watch The Sopranos, The Wire, Dexter, The Office (U.S.), The Shield, Arrested Development, Peep Show, 30 Rock, 24, Alan Partridge, Extras, Entourage (early seasons), Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park (not recent seasons though)...hell I used to be giddy for the Irish Apprentice, just to hear the muck Bill Cullen and the contestants would spout (one of the best comedy shows Ireland ever produced!). But nowadays the only show I absolutely love is Better Call Saul and that only has around 10 episodes per year! I just feel there is nothing to watch in general...Mrs Brown's Boys is enjoyed by some people, good luck to them, whatever entertains you, but I am sad that there are no great shows (for me anyways), and it makes me resent the cr*p even more, rather than just ignore it like I used to. When everybody started talking about the golden age of television, I thought this is bad, because people usually start talking about golden ages when they have passed. I think maybe we are in a trough in terms of really good tv, but yet they try to convince us that what is on is fantastic and we are lucky to live in times of such high qualify tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I allowed myself to watch this at the weekend for the first time. I am aware of What kind of programme it is. Holly Willoughby and Phil what's his name were on it.
    My goodness.
    He invited a member of the audience down and in the middle of this he unzipped a pair of underpants from some sleeping figure in a chair and used the word 'fooking' or something like that.
    I really could only watch ten minutes.
    Not my type of programme. Not my type of 'comedy'. It was crude, base and maybe targets the working men clubs type of audience. It certainly contained language that fitted that type of 'carry on' audience. Not for me. I felt somewhat embarrassed being Irish and having this show so popular in GB.

I think my biggest problem is that I find very little to watch on regular tv or online. A few years back I used to be excited to watch The Sopranos, The Wire, Dexter, The Office (U.S.), The Shield, Arrested Development, Peep Show, 30 Rock, 24, Alan Partridge, Extras, Entourage (early seasons), Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park (not recent seasons though)...hell I used to be giddy for the Irish Apprentice, just to hear the muck Bill Cullen and the contestants would spout (one of the best comedy shows Ireland ever produced!). But nowadays the only show I absolutely love is Better Call Saul and that only has around 10 episodes per year! I just feel there is nothing to watch in general...Mrs Brown's Boys is enjoyed by some people, good luck to them, whatever entertains you, but I am sad that there are no great shows (for me anyways), and it makes me resent the cr*p even more, rather than just ignore it like I used to. When everybody started talking about the golden age of television, I thought this is bad, because people usually start talking about golden ages when they have passed. I think maybe we are in a trough in terms of really good tv, but yet they try to convince us that what is on is fantastic and we are lucky to live in times of such high qualify tv.

I tend to agree. Looking at the Irish Apprentice with Bill Cullen as comedy is a new idea. I didn't appreciate this properly so!!

I agree that up to a few years ago, there was better things on to watch and that I was excited about watching. All the shows you mention are great, along with Love/Hate, Breaking Bad, etc. Mrs Brown and reality TV are popular with some audiences but it seems as if we are getting an overdose of this and nothing else.

I think that Mrs Brown's Boys was perfect in January and February 2011, a period directly after a particularly grim 2010 where economic woes, bad TV like The Frontline based on these woes, and prolonged snow darkened the mood. I enjoyed it then but now it is just a cash cow milked dry and it is clear that it is being written and performed on autopilot.

That said and done, Mrs Brown is far from the worst thing on. I'd watch her above such atrocities as Stetsons and Stilettos, Dragon's Den or any of them talent contests.

I think that Love/Hate or something like it is needed back on Irish TV. This series ended on a high (if the fifth season is really the last) but subsequent Irish dramas have mainly been watchable but dull since then. The likes of Clean Break, Rebellion and Striking Out could have been so much better but suffered from an obvious restraint. None of these could replace Nidge and co. It was clear RTE listened to all the prunes who complained about violence in Love/Hate. I think that RTE listen more about such complaints than they do about those who complain about other things like the overdoses of reality TV and Mrs Brown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement