Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava premium

Options
  • 02-01-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice, is it worth taking it out ? Benefits ? All yay and nay welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

secman wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice, is it worth taking it out ? Benefits ? All yay and nay welcome.

Did I not see 30 day free Premium trial today on BookFace?
    Think I did.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Book face ? If that's part of Facebook, no use , not on it .
    Thanks
    Do you use the premium version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I took the 30 day free trial some time ago and let it lapse- if your into a deeper analysis of the ride its possibly worth it, problem is the free version is just too good so you get most of the premium without the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I took that free trial you have to give card details so be sure you don't let it lapse without cancelling or you will be a premium member ;)

I find it handy for robbing gpx files off of rides I like the look of but other than that and the 3 months free zwift there's not a whole heap I use to justify the yearly spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've had Premium for years .. partly for the additional features and partly because I think Strava is worth supporting.

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    I've had Premium for years .. partly for the additional features and partly because I think Strava is worth supporting.

That is actually a very valid reason. I've been a member for years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Same as that - I could survive on the free version no problem but I like supporting the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have always had it but mainly because I can use PAYG credit from Three, it's a really good benefit from Three.

Like others though I would support it anyway, great service and info supplied is really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Same as the lads above, could get by on free but deem it worthy of the fiver a month just to support a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

I bought a Premium about year ago and looking to keep using it. If you don't have a GPS unit that also records HR data then I'd say not worth the money but otherwise it's a quite small money to get loads more features and data insights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

I pay it just to have live segments on my Garmin Edge 520. But there are additional benefits that I wouldn't pay for, but I'm happy to have. The first one I can think of is the suffer score, totally useless but a nice and rewarding metric to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

An absolutely valid reason and tbh not one I'd thought of before. I activated the freebie on Facebook earlier and intended to cancel before the month was up (as usual) but now I'm in two minds

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The live tracking feature lets your other half know where you are on your route, thus having dinner ready for when you arrive home - priceless!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    I have always had it but mainly because I can use PAYG credit from Three, it's a really good benefit from Three.

Like others though I would support it anyway, great service and info supplied is really useful.

Really? How does one do this.

Figured it out. Excellent. Always have leftover credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Inquitus wrote: »
    Same as the lads above, could get by on free but deem it worthy of the fiver a month just to support a great service.

Looks like it's increased to €7.99 a month if you pay monthly. But only €59.99 if you pay for a full years subscription.
    I seem to recall it being €4.99 pm when paying monthly?

G1032 wrote: »
    Looks like it's increased to €7.99 a month if you pay monthly. But only €59.99 if you pay for a full years subscription.
    I seem to recall it being €4.99 pm when paying monthly?

My bill is €5.49 pm through 3 PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Many of the premium features available through plugin called Stravistix. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have it mainly to support it. Not sure it's worth it now, as I've found Connect a lot better than it used to be. If it is going up, I'd have to think about, but then the increase is less than brew on the spins... Haven't had notification of an increase from Google Play yet anyway (Jan only went through on the first and was €5.49).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I was premium for a while, found some of the training programs interesting. You pay more for similar stuff elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

My bill is €5.49 pm through 3 PAYG.

Ya. Now I remember. That's what mine was. Then I cancelled in November after being off the bike since start of September and had no sign of a return date.
    Went to subscribe again yesterday and app on the phone quotes €7.99 pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I find it handy for robbing gpx files off of rides I like the look of

Have you tried Brouter, an open street map site designed to make cycling routes? In beta, but not bad, though not really designed for the fallible human user:

http://brouter.de/brouter-web/

To set a route, search for the start, then click on the result and a teardrop icon will appear; then search for the end and click on that. A straight line will appear, and after a few minutes of going hmmmm, this will change into a cycle route between them.

It's not perfect - for instance from Harold's Cross to Glenasmole it tries to send you along the busy main Tallaght road - but you can drag a route and it'll rethink it.

You can then export the GPX by clicking on the Download button (there are a couple of other formats besides GPX but I don't know what they're for), and email it to yourself, and open it on your phone by click-and-holding the attachment and choosing where you want it to open - for instance GPX Tracker2 for iOS.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Have you tried Brouter, an open street map site designed to make cycling routes? In beta, but not bad, though not really designed for the fallible human user:

http://brouter.de/brouter-web/

To set a route, search for the start, then click on the result and a teardrop icon will appear; then search for the end and click on that. A straight line will appear, and after a few minutes of going hmmmm, this will change into a cycle route between them.

It's not perfect - for instance from Harold's Cross to Glenasmole it tries to send you along the busy main Tallaght road - but you can drag a route and it'll rethink it.

You can then export the GPX by clicking on the Download button (there are a couple of other formats besides GPX but I don't know what they're for), and email it to yourself, and open it on your phone by click-and-holding the attachment and choosing where you want it to open - for instance GPX Tracker2 for iOS.

I haven't tried that particular site but it sounds a similar idea to this one http://bikeroutetoaster.com/

Unless I was planning on a trip well away from home I'm usually to lazy to plot my own route :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I haven't tried that particular site but it sounds a similar idea to this one http://bikeroutetoaster.com/

Unless I was planning on a trip well away from home I'm usually to lazy to plot my own route :D

I'm lazier. I want the way that keeps me out of the way of cars and hills ;)

Edit - bikeroutetoaster is even more user-unfriendly than brouter.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I have always had it but mainly because I can use PAYG credit from Three, it's a really good benefit from Three. .

How do you use Three PAYG credit for this? Can't figure out how to do it

coach22 wrote: »
    How do you use Three PAYG credit for this? Can't figure out how to do it

Go to the Play Store and change payment method for buying apps n go from there.

secman wrote: »

For less than the price of 2 beers a month it's worth trying out at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Strava Premium is the only social network I have no problem paying for. They don't use adverts to generate revenue and my feed is full of things I'm interested in. I'm happy to pay for the service provided, when you consider a fiver a month is 2 coffees, a pint...

Actually i don't know why Garmin haven't just bought them yet?! The Strava user experience is much better than Garmin connect, though the garmin connect has better reporting capability. Perhaps Garmin are waiting for them to run out of money and then snap them up for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Looking like I'll subscribe for all the good reasons given. Have the 520 so probably makes sense for €60 a year. I'll do it later when.back up in Dublin, no broadband down here and air signal is very weak.
    Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Forgot to charge the Garmin but able to connect heart rate and power meter to phone on premium

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jon1981 wrote: »
    Perhaps Garmin are waiting for them to run out of money and then snap them up for a song.
    are they burning through cash?

Advertisement