Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No business wants tenants above them who might be pri1cks and can't be evicted. So don't expect businesses to be rushing to let their upstairs to tenants.

There are many business that would be only too happy to have the additional security of somebody living above the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Graham wrote: »
    There are many business that would be only too happy to have the additional security of somebody living above the shop.

Only if that person was removable should they turn out to be the person you don't want living above the shop.
    Businesses won't take that risk if they can't do something about it should it go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Above shop (or lack thereof) is something which is mentioned in more academic circles ref the various issues Ireland suffers with accommodation. It's not my wife's area but she works in an area which intersects with economists. Funny we were only discussing it the other day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Only if that person was removable should they turn out to be the person you don't want living above the shop.
    Businesses won't take that risk if they can't do something about it should it go bad.

You're fascinated by easily removable tenants, there's no need to remove the majority of decent, rent-paying, law abiding tenants.

That aside, a large proportion of high street businesses would have no say what happens above their rented shops.

Re-populating town centre has much wider benefits than purely accommodation, something many councils recognize with formal living-above-the-shop incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Cork has lash of run down houses. Totally agree theres huge potential to bring existing stock back to market. They are starting to appear more and more

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    You're fascinated by easily removable tenants, there's no need to remove the majority of decent, rent-paying, law abiding tenants.

That aside, a large proportion of high street businesses would have no say what happens above their rented shops.

Re-populating town centre has much wider benefits than purely accommodation, something many councils recognize with formal living-above-the-shop incentives.

As are most landlords.
    Of course there is no need to remove good tenants. In fact you want them to stay.
    As with all investments, the issue boils down to risk. When it goes bad, how exposed are you and how easy is it to cut your loses and back out of the exposure.
    That's the most important thing to ask with any investment.

Daft house price report out.
    Haven't read it myself yet, but Should be a good read.

Edit : Just read it there now. Nothing new really.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭frefrefre

Daft house price report out.
    Haven't read it myself yet, but Should be a good read.
    From the headlines in the newspaper, it seems that increases of 2k per month in Dublin is what's happening.
    I find it all a bit insane but we seem to just love crazy house price growth in this country, just likelast time, nobody is saying stop.

frefrefre wrote: »
    From the headlines in the newspaper, it seems that increases of 2k per month in Dublin is what's happening.
    I find it all a bit insane but we seem to just love crazy house price growth in this country, just likelast time, nobody is saying stop.

It's an increase of 2k a month directly to the builders though. Second hand market isn't great. No incentive for people to put houses on the market unless trading up to a new build.
    So only really builders of new houses pocketing the increases.

If you don't encourage people to sell and trade up it's a bigger problem than not building new houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

frefrefre wrote: »

Some of us still have substantial negative equity, making it virtually impossible to trade up.

• Advertisement

I know a lad who has just bought a new 3 bed semi in Ashbourne with his Mrs, €325k ......... that's boom prices surely?
    He seems overwhelmingly relieved to be on the ladder etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Augeo wrote: »
    I know a lad who has just bought a new 3 bed semi in Ashbourne with his Mrs, €325k ......... that's boom prices surely?

Expensive for a 3 bed in that location alright. Could get a new build 4 bed 12 months ago for that.

Surely a good example of what the latest government fiddling has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Augeo wrote: »

If that's Churchfield, I was so disappointed with these houses because they all had very odd layouts and were so overpriced. This was the development that turned me away from developments.

The Daft report sounds like a shocker but it really isn't too surprising. Also the second-hand market on the South side and South county is a lot weaker than the one on the north side. There are some crazy price explosions happening here and houses aren't around for long. Maybe because it's a lot more affordable in the south for FTB that are looking for second hand.

Anyway, I'm closely following the commuter towns within 100km of Dublin, there are some crazy price jumps going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

LirW wrote: »
    Realised this as well. In our neighborhood a lot of people are selling up, there are extremely weird price jumps and falls in a matter of months. The houses all in the same kind of condition: elderly that move or died and still have their fancy 80's carpet, wallpaper and kitchen in there. These gaffs are on the market for a quite short period of time before snapped up.

Still though, the sub 300k market in Dublin is still under immense pressure (unless the area is really bad and West Dublin is an exemption as well). The average FTB still can't afford 3-bed huge parts of the south. There is an immense divide between Northside and southside, even tough the North is going nuts at the moment too (Strange things are happening in Santry).

I was actually having my eye on Portlaoise for a while, I really like the town, but the price jumps there are mad while same commutable distance in Wexford is plummeting. It doesn't really make sense.

What were you noticing in Santry as a matter of interest? Ive been keeping an eye on this area (to buy in), so im interested from that perspective?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

LirW wrote: »
    Realised this as well. In our neighborhood a lot of people are selling up, there are extremely weird price jumps and falls in a matter of months. The houses all in the same kind of condition: elderly that move or died and still have their fancy 80's carpet, wallpaper and kitchen in there. These gaffs are on the market for a quite short period of time before snapped up.

Still though, the sub 300k market in Dublin is still under immense pressure (unless the area is really bad and West Dublin is an exemption as well). The average FTB still can't afford 3-bed huge parts of the south. There is an immense divide between Northside and southside, even tough the North is going nuts at the moment too (Strange things are happening in Santry).

I was actually having my eye on Portlaoise for a while, I really like the town, but the price jumps there are mad while same commutable distance in Wexford is plummeting. It doesn't really make sense.

wexford and port laoise arent really commutable, at least not long term, its a killer

mel123 wrote: »
    What were you noticing in Santry as a matter of interest? Ive been keeping an eye on this area (to buy in), so im interested from that perspective?
    Thanks

My man's family is preparing for putting a house on the market in Santry and we've been monitoring the market there. The price jumps are huge for very mediocre houses that need a lot of work. You can send me a PM if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cyrus wrote: »
    wexford and port laoise arent really commutable, at least not long term, its a killer

Portlaoise is probably more commutable than Wexford because it has train line... Personally I would not view either as commuter towns to Dublin tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Depends what part of wexford & where in Dublin you work, I used to drive from Gorey to leopardstown in 40-50 mins, then moved to dun laoighre and had a longer commute to Dublin 1 (granted it would be quicker if I didn't drive in)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Depends what part of wexford & where in Dublin you work, I used to drive from Gorey to leopardstown in 40-50 mins, then moved to dun laoighre and had a longer commute to Dublin 1 (granted it would be quicker if I didn't drive in)

theres a difference between sitting on the dart for 40 minutes and driving 100km both ways every day imo

• Advertisement

theres a difference between sitting on the dart for 40 minutes and driving 100km both ways every day imo

I didn't get the dart in either commute, hate public transport

In defense of Portlaoise, they have pretty good public connections into town, so if you work along the quays it's decent.
    Wexford town would be crazy long, but Gorey is more than doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why on earth would you drive from DL to D1?

Why!?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you drive from DL to D1?

Why!?

20 min cost to be on my own in an uncrowded car, guaranteed a seat & don't have to spend any time waiting with junkies in Connolly. Worth it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

You'd probably quarter that time on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

20 min cost to be on my own in an uncrowded car, guaranteed a seat & don't have to spend any time waiting with junkies in Connolly. Worth it for me

I thought I'd got intolerant of inner city Dublin since moving out into the 'suburbs' but Christ! :pac:

I thought I'd got intolerant of inner city Dublin since moving out into the 'suburbs' but Christ! :pac:

Yea im not a fan of the place at all! Parts of D2 aren't that bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Each one to his own but I hope that soon enough DCC make it close to impossible for people to make such needless car journeys into the city centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yea im not a fan of the place at all! Parts of D2 aren't that bad though.

I definitly understand not being a fan of the area (I work around there), but being allergic to it to the point of not using the station even if it saves 20 minutes and several euros on your journey to work is taking it to another level!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bob24 wrote: »
    I definitly understand not being a fan of the area (I work around there), but being allergic to it to the point of not using the station even if it saves 20 minutes and several euros on your journey to work is taking it to another level!

Lots of people get out at Heuston- and make their own way into the city centre- to avoid Busarus/Connolly- adding 20-30 minutes to their journeys- because they feel safer doing so. I can think of 5 or 6 colleagues who do this- without thinking very hard.

Advertisement