Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner said they were selling and property is now advertised on air bnb

Options
  • 02-01-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My friend and her boyfriend have rented an apartment in Carrick for past 5.5 years. Owner told them a few times last year he is selling up in new year. Due to the uncertainty over their future and new baby on way they went house hunting and gave notice and moved. They have now spotted same apartment advertised on airbnb. I'm of the opinion that as the owner never actually served notice they can't do anything as he will argue he changed his mind. They intend to contact prtb in morning but I'm just wondering what others think. Tia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Even though he explained his intention to sell, they went and gave their notice in themselves. He didn't actually serve them with notice so I doubt they have any come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

They choose to leave and they have no redress. They also have no proof other than what was allegedly said.

I imagine the strain the RTB is under, they will tell them to suck it up as the RTB will have far bigger fish to fry than this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Do you know for a fact that the original owner didn't sell it ? Perhaps they did and the new owner is advertising on AirB&B ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ZENER wrote:
    Do you know for a fact that the original owner didn't sell it ? Perhaps they did and the new owner is advertising on AirB&B ?

Doesn't matter unless the tenants have something in writing that the landlord was giving them notice about selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

They could be selling, but doing airbnb as a temporary measure to keep it generating something while waiting for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

do landlords not now have to get a certificate from a solicitor to prove they are selling?

OP I can totally understand your need to move for your peace of mind. Been there myself ....
    Maybe call Threshold and ask them? Maddening though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Graces7 wrote: »
    do landlords not now have to get a certificate from a solicitor to prove they are selling?

OP I can totally understand your need to move for your peace of mind. Been there myself ....
    Maybe call Threshold and ask them? Maddening though

But it was the tennants that gave notice and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It doesn't matter what the landlord told them. If they gave notice and not the landlord they have no comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Airbnb is typically short term accomodation with the average stay being about 4 days so it's quite possible that the landlord is trying to make a few quid while it's in the process of being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

The Airbnb use may require planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Angry bird wrote: »
    The Airbnb use may require planning permission.

But that is no concern of the previous tenant. They gave notice and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But it was the tennants that gave notice and left.

But under pressure and believing the landlord. I decided to move under similar pressure. But i have no intention of ever knowing what he finally did or did not do and maybe that is the way forward for the OP?

Just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

You could argue that he was not allowing you to have peaceful enjoyment of your home by sowing doubt over the future. However, I don't think it's worth the hassle or likely to succeed. Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

But that is no concern of the previous tenant. They gave notice and left.

Nothing from stopping them still ringing the relevant LA re the planning permission if they did feel pressurised as the op alludes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When people are advocating telling tales and getting landlords into more trouble with officialdom.

Many 1 off landlords are selling out just because of the hassle they are getting from militant tenants.

Good luck dealing with the multi million euro funded vulture funds as new landlords in the coming decades looking for 10% pa rises and quick evictions and having the resources, expertise and legal muscle to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Posts that failed to meet the standard expected on this forum have been deleted. Posters are reminded to be civil when posting and to stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Thanks for all the feedback. They have decided to just forget about it. I'm actually a landlord myself and I was under the impression that the landlord could always say he changed his mind about selling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement