Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking.com

Options
  • 02-01-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I recently booked five nights in London through booking.com however I changed the date from Sunday until Friday to Monday to Saturday. I clicked change dates but it ended up duplicating my booking. I called booking.com customer service and they got in touch with the hotel manager but unfortunately the hotel will not make an exception and are telling me to pay the cancellation fee. I am traveling alone and not lengthening nor shortening my stay so it makes no sense for me to book a second room. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Would have thought your issue is with b00king.com rather than the hotel. The issue was their mechanism of duplicating rather than changing dates - no experience with them per say but usually with companies like that you just need to hold firm and play hard ball with them

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decemberist0

Would have thought your issue is with b00king.com rather than the hotel. The issue was their mechanism of duplicating rather than changing dates - no experience with them per say but usually with companies like that you just need to hold firm and play hard ball with them

Yes it definitely is with booking.com since it is their mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op did you change the dates after you had completed and paid for the original (sun-fri) dates?

davo10 wrote: »
    Op did you change the dates after you had completed and paid for the original (sun-fri) dates?

Yes it was 20 minutes later that I changed. This was because of flights. I selected change dates but for some reason it's computing as a separate booking

Yes it was 20 minutes later that I changed. This was because of flights. I selected change dates but for some reason it's computing as a separate booking

Op, you need to check the email confirming your original booking. You may find that if you booked the lowest price, it does not allow for changes/cancellation. You pay a higher price for rooms which you can change/cancel. If you could not change/cancel your original booking, then you booked a second stay at the hotel when attempting to change the original booking.

Read the email, you agreed to the T&c's so it may be caveat emptor.

• Advertisement

Op, you need to check the email confirming your original booking. You may find that if you booked the lowest price, it does not allow for changes/cancellation. You pay a higher price for rooms which you can change/cancel. If you could not change/cancel your original booking, then you booked a second stay at the hotel when attempting to change the original booking.

Read the email, you agreed to the T&c's so it may be caveat emptor.

The email states "You will be charged the total price if you cancel your booking.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property." It also gave me an option to amend the booking.

The email states "You will be charged the total price if you cancel your booking.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property." It also gave me an option to amend the booking

Op, you will have to read the full T&c's on booking.com website. Some hotels will not allow you to book a Friday night, they insist on 2 night stays over the weekend, also a Friday night is likely to be a lot more expensive than Sunday to Thursday so I suspect you are going to get caught here. Hindsight is 20:20, but you should have checked flights before booking hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property." It also gave me an option to amend the booking.

Looks like the original booking then must have been non refundable or amendable, so they created a new booking.

It should state in the email what the original booking conditions were

The cheapest price on booking.com is usually not refundable or amendable

Op, you will have to read the full T&c's on booking.com website. Some hotels will not allow you to book a Friday night, they insist on 2 night stays over the weekend, also a Friday night is likely to be a lot more expensive than Sunday to Thursday so I suspect you are going to get caught here. Hindsight is 20:20, but you should have checked flights before booking hotel.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that

Looks like the original booking then must have been non refundable or amendable, so they created a new booking.

It should state in the email what the original booking conditions were

The cheapest price on booking.com is usually not refundable or amendable

Yes if I was informed there was no chance of an amendment I wouldn't have continued with the booking

• Advertisement

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that

Unfortunately, there is, you posted it yourself:

"Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property." It also gave me an option to amend the booking.

Change of dates = Modification = Amendment.

You can amend the booking, but the hotel can charge you for it, which they have. The price for a stay including a Friday night will be different from that which is charged on week days. Just check on booking.com by inputting Monday-Saturday, it will cost more than Sunday-Friday.

I do feel sorry for you op but you've got to have your dates right and know the T&c's before confirming booking on an internet site.

Unfortunately, there is, you posted it yourself:

"Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property." It also gave me an option to amend the booking.

Change of dates = Modification = Amendment.

You can amend the booking, but the hotel can charge you for it, which they have. The price for a stay including a Friday night will be different from that which is charged on week days. Just check on booking.com by inputting Monday-Saturday, it will cost more than Sunday-Friday.

I do feel sorry for you op but you've got to have your dates right and know the T&c's before confirming booking on an internet site.

Thanks for your help, I don't think there was any change in the price when I changed the dates but I'll check again. I am going to speak to the hotel directly tomorrow and hope for some grace but it doesn't sound good. I'll still be lodging a complaint to booking.com regarding that technical error and that their information was misleading.

Davo10 they are the same price regardless of the date

Advertisement