Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad at hairdressers

Options
  • 02-01-2017 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've been going to same hairdressers in local town for over 3 years since it opened. My cousin got a job there so decided to give it a go and have stayed a loyal customer. I go in every week for a wash and blow dry and get highlights and toners and conditioning treatments when needed. I also bring my two daughters in every 5 weeks to get there hair trimmed.
    So here's my issue. I went in on Friday three of us booked in I was getting my hair washed and blow dried and girls getting there hair trimmed. I normally pay €16 for mine and €10 each for the girls so it's total of €36. And I normally leave a €4 tip when I bring in the girls. So Friday I went to pay and was charged €60. To say I was shocked is an understatement. I asked owner how come it was €60 instead of €36 she said it's the holidays so prices are gone up. I got my hair blow dried Xmas eve and it was €16 so can't get my head around it. I rang my cousin and asked her about prices going up and it was first she heard of it. Feeling taken advantage of , she could have told me before hair was done she charged €20 each for girls who had dry trims. Am I overreacting on these prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Voting with your feet is the way to go here I'd say. Chalk it up and find a new hairdresser because that's pretty cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Agree. Wouldn't go back. I pay 15 for a blow dry and that's what I paid Christmas eve and new years eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Beauty forum, as this is really not a Personal Issue

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Normally the onus is on the customer to check prices but your a regular and that's a very steep increase. To be honest it's time to go elsewhere and tell your cousin why so she can pass the message on to her boss. That's gouging at its finest and the owner has lost a regular customer for the sake of ripping you off for 20 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Rallycrazygirl

Thanks for replys. I spend a lot of money there throughout the year and feel that I was a soft hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've been going to same hairdressers in local town for over 3 years since it opened. My cousin got a job there so decided to give it a go and have stayed a loyal customer. I go in every week for a wash and blow dry and get highlights and toners and conditioning treatments when needed. I also bring my two daughters in every 5 weeks to get there hair trimmed.
    So here's my issue. I went in on Friday three of us booked in I was getting my hair washed and blow dried and girls getting there hair trimmed. I normally pay €16 for mine and €10 each for the girls so it's total of €36. And I normally leave a €4 tip when I bring in the girls. So Friday I went to pay and was charged €60. To say I was shocked is an understatement. I asked owner how come it was €60 instead of €36 she said it's the holidays so prices are gone up. I got my hair blow dried Xmas eve and it was €16 so can't get my head around it. I rang my cousin and asked her about prices going up and it was first she heard of it. Feeling taken advantage of , she could have told me before hair was done she charged €20 each for girls who had dry trims. Am I overreacting on these prices.

Mad is right! I'd query it again with owner express your displeasure. Double check too to see had she price changes highlighted anywhere- if not her price chart is misleading and she's liable for that as far as I know. The very least I'd expect is a voucher for the difference in price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Id be annoyed. I'd cancel any appointments you have and go elsewhere for a week or two and then reassess whether you want to go back.

You're a good enough customer that you should be afforded the courtesy of being told they were charging extra. If you got a receipt check that it went through properly, if not maybe someone was just pocketing some extra cash.

I said it to my cousin that I won't be back again. I have an appointment this week for highlights and up style going to a wedding on Friday but going to get it done somewhere else. She also has a beauticians that I use regularly so won't be using that again either. I've just totted up what I spend a year and it's a fair chunk of money that she'll miss out on for the sake of screwing me over on one visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I'd be fuming also,very bad form imo.Was it 22e each for the children,did they get wash and blow-dry also ?Very poor form towards a regular customer.

The price list was same as always no new prices on it or anything about prices going up either. My cousin was working Saturday and nothing mentioned about price increase.
    It was owner who served me and took money and I questioned it then. I'm already paying over odds for the trims on girls all other salons in our town only charge €5 .

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    I'd be fuming also,very bad form imo.Was it 22e each for the children,did they get wash and blow-dry also ?Very poor form towards a regular customer.

I had blow dry they had dry trims same as always it takes less than five minutes to do there hair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

When u say the girls usually get their hair trimmed do you mean a dry cut? Cause 10 euro to 20 is some leap. Even if its a wash and blow/cut for a kid its some jump!!! I know my hairdresser's charge less / extra depending on mon wed thur versus Thurs fri prices but an increase like that particularly to a regular return customer is biting the hand that feeds you!!!! Tell them
    As much and go elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I agree you should go elsewhere, but I would pop into the shop, have a chat with the owner and politely and calmly explain why.Much more effective feedback face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I would send them a message or a review on facebook if they have a page. I would also call and calmly cancel your appointment explaining you are going elsewhere as you were recently over charged in there.
    Most importantly I would make it known that you are aware you were over charged in the hope she doesn't continue to over change customers.

I hate those whingeing Facebook reviews of businesses. Nothing makes me roll my eyes so much and it just looks like wanting something free. Doing that makes the reviewer look worse than the company imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I meant to say to write the Facebook review if messaging them didn't work. If they aren't gonna acknowledge that they over charged then I would certainly be warning people

If you're going to do that, do it effectively.
    And a picture tells a thousand words... Photo of the price list, photo of the receipt, "beware of overcharging in this salon: I get my hair done every week here. Brought my two girls for a dry trim this week, overcharged by €24. Salon claims it's a seasonal holiday increase, but no change to displayed prices and no verbal warning that prices had changed before the appointment."

I've sent rockets at businesses before and once you attach photos showing how wrong they've acted they are soooo quick to rectify things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did the salon have notification of the price increase displayed anywhere? If not then isnt that illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know the salon I go to only do blowdries on peak days like Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. However their prices don't change because itis the holiday period. I would contact the owner and explain that you are unhappy with the increase and the fact that you were not informed prior to the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I agree with the other posters. You need to go back into the salon and speak to the manager face to face. Explain how you have been a loyal and very good customer over the last few years and how you are disappointed to have your prices increased so dramatically and without notice. See what she has to say to that and tell her that you will be cancelling all appointments and moving elsewhere.

I feel for you OP, when you find someone who gets it right with your hair and it can be difficult to find a good replacement. My hairdresser knows my hair so well, I'd be lost if she left!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. There was no notice about price increase.
    I went into salon today and spoke to the owner and just re said to her I think I was overcharged the last day. She is still sticking to a price increase over holiday period. I pointed out that previous week Christmas week I was charged usual price. And prices on board today are old prices which I also pointed out to her and that it was illegal not displaying up to date prices. To say she went red is an understatement. At this point truth came out. She had to pay rent and wages and was feeling the pinch so overcharged quiet a few of her clients that day to make ends meet. Talk about being blown away. That she would try to cod regulars with lies who support her all year around is unbelievable. I would also like to point out that the owner and I were quiet friendly also our sons are friends as well so do be in each other's houses as well. I said to her if she had of explained this I would have given her a loan of money or pay in advance for my bookings this week and next no bother. But that I was very upset in the way she tried to cheat me. She has apologised but trust is gone.

Jaysus!

Her business was doomed if she's at that! Madness.

I'd never darken her door again. That's not much short of theft tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

When I see posts like this I just have to wonder why on earth you paid the €60.
    I would have refused. Absolutely no point moaning afterwards when your money is gone!

Fair play to you for bringing it up again though and confronting her.
    I'd still be raging though and would have demanded the difference back and refused to leave without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wow, that's shocking. To be so shortsighted not to understand how that behaviour would impact her business is unreal.

Looking back I should have refused to pay the 60 but didn't want a scene especially with my girls with me. She didn't even offer a discount or free treatment. I think she doesn't really see what she did was so wrong. I know when people are desperate they do stupid things but she was only sorry I confronted her and she was caught. I definitely won't be returning.
    My cousin has always wanted her own salon and will be opening her own one in couple of months so I'll be bringing my business to her when she opens. Shes glad that she had started to look into opening up herself. Her job definitely isn't safe because I'm sure other people won't go back either and in such a small town word will spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I owned hair salons and barber shops in Dublin for close to 30 years. We always charged adult prices for children at the weekend. Or another way to look at it was we discounted for children Mon to Fri. We would also charge full price on Christmas eve. This is all industry standard practice. We explained it in our price lists and actually had signs on the mirrors so you'd see it while getting your hair done.
    I've never heard of putting the prices up for Christmas before. If I was to go down that road you would be told first before doing the girls hair. That salon is penny wise and pound foolish. For the sake of creaming a little extra profit over one week of the year they will lose a client that any salon would love to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

benjamin d wrote:
    I hate those whingeing Facebook reviews of businesses. Nothing makes me roll my eyes so much and it just looks like wanting something free. Doing that makes the reviewer look worse than the company imo.

I think everyone is cautious of these one star reviews. The amount of people I hear now say they only read 3 stars up on Facebook and trip advisor. One stars are seen a a grumpy Client that didn't get their own way one time.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think everyone is cautious of these one star reviews. The amount of people I hear now say they only read 3 stars up on Facebook and trip advisor. One stars are seen a a grumpy Client that didn't get their own way one time.

That's exactly it. A one star review is almost always a biased rant, whether justified or not it's hard to take seriously.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I owned hair salons and barber shops in Dublin for close to 30 years. We always charged adult prices for children at the weekend. Or another way to look at it was we discounted for children Mon to Fri. We would also charge full price on Christmas eve. This is all industry standard practice. We explained it in our price lists and actually had signs on the mirrors so you'd see it while getting your hair done.
    I've never heard of putting the prices up for Christmas before. If I was to go down that road you would be told first before doing the girls hair. That salon is penny wise and pound foolish. For the sake of creaming a little extra profit over one week of the year they will lose a client that any salon would love to have.

I think the different pricing you mention is fair enough but it's completely unacceptable to not be VERY plainly posted and as you say verbally communicated before doing any work.

The icing on the cake was the admission that the owner just needed extra cash. Brutal behaviour altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I would approach the general manager and explain that you feel that you were overcharged. Some hairdressers in my area refused to do dry cuts for my child in the lead up to Xmas and one even stated they would only do it at an adult wash cut and blowdry price at e40 !!!

I took my daughter to the hairdresser I usually go to and they did it for e12. I feel it would be unfair to charge in access of e12 - e15 for a dry cut and I would let them be aware of this. The manager may not know and if I was her I would want to know how badly a regular customer was treated. :eek:

Advertisement