Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about moving to Canada.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Don't need to live in a house couple rent apartment

So what is the visa ur coming over on ? IEC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

the_syco wrote: »
    Live in Toronto now. Houses are really fecking expensive in the Toronto, with a lot of people driving an hour to get to my workplace (from the Greater Toronto Area).

Long commutes are the norm in North America (USA & Canada).

But I bet my hat that what you could buy in Canada for $600,000 would dwarf the poxy ****e they are selling you in terrible areas in Dublin for €400,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jme2010 wrote: »
    Long commutes are the norm in North America (USA & Canada).

But I bet my hat that what you could buy in Canada for $600,000 would dwarf the poxy ****e they are selling you in terrible areas in Dublin for €400,000

I wouldn't be so sure. Houses in general are not as well constructed in Canada. I think this is because it's cheaper to build and also easier to tear down and rebuild (rebuilding happens a lot).

In Vancouver anyway, older apartment blocks tend to be more solidly constructed, but newer blocks are being thrown up with little or no attention to detail and quality. This video is pretty typical I would say. I definitely wouldn't buy a condo in Vancouver that's less than 5 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3SChqp51Y

I had to move out of my old place because the block needed about $10 million worth of repairs and there wasn't the money in the sinking fund to complete it. (only built in 1974)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I wouldn't be so sure. Houses in general are not as well constructed in Canada. I think this is because it's cheaper to build and also easier to tear down and rebuild (rebuilding happens a lot).

<Real dub accent>
    ah hear, Priory hall? Pyrite houses, towns and villages?
    </Real dub accent>

:D I'm just taking the mick, but cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I can tell you one thing - overall, they're better insulated than Irish homes. Being wood and vinyl, they're not meant to last centuries but who cares about that anyway? Vancouver has a lot of shoddy construction and its British-type climate is very unusual for Canada.

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »
    Where are you living and what line of work are you in?

People like myself that are in the tech industry, Toronto is a smorgasbord of tech companies. I'd love to join my buddy in Calgary but it's too cold and no direct flights.

I now live in Newfoundland, previously in Calgary and Vancouver. Before I retired I worked in healthcare.

Of course, some people do have to work in Toronto because that’s where their jobs are. All I’m saying is that if living there is not a necessity, at least consider the rest of the subcontinent. You’ll probably spend a lot less time commuting.

Vancouver is unusual in that property prices don’t match incomes at all. A larger than average number of houses and apartments have been bought by immigrants and people who only live there part-time. I went to a conference in Coal Harbour a few years ago in April and was surprised how few people were to be seen walking along the seafront. Many of the luxury apartments appeared to have owners who were elsewhere.

Toronto is different. Granted it does have some of the same high-cost problems of Vancouver but at least there are loads of excellent job opportunities to pay the rent. The scenery is not in Vancouver’s league, though. Vancouver is well worth visiting and Seattle is even more impressive. The best thing about Vancouver is the ferry system up the coast, a great way to see some of the fjords and islands of BC.

My commuting time in Newfoundland was under 10 minutes, in Calgary between 10 and 30 minutes depending on the lab site that day and in Vancouver under 15 minutes. I managed that in Vancouver by living in a studio apartment that was all of 168 sq feet, the sort of experience that is better to reminisce about than live through. In those commutes, I never experienced Dublin traffic jams where pedestrians pass you by.

Advertisement