Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soother exactly like bottle teat?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

My youngest is a year old and from she was born would NEVER take a soother. She has in the past while started treating her bottle as one. Milk or not when she is feeling inclined to sleep the second the bottle touches her tongue, she's out, but the casual sucking of air is just leading to gas. We tried feeding her the bottle and then putting her down, she cried so much (even after I lifted her) that she vomited. Same goes for sneaking the bottle out when she's asleep. Anyone else have this problem and are there soothers out there made to the shape of a normal bottle? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are three types of soother teat that I know of, but each comes in various sizes from small for newborn, up a good few sizes.

page-boy-3-dummy-colour-blue-size-6-months-teat-type-symmetrical-%5B3%5D-66207-p.jpg

The cherry shape is the one the Lactation consultants recommended to me, and the one my baby took the easiest. But I would say trial and error. Get two of each, maybe in different sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

pwurple wrote: »
    There are three types of soother teat that I know of, but each comes in various sizes from small for newborn, up a good few sizes.

page-boy-3-dummy-colour-blue-size-6-months-teat-type-symmetrical-%5B3%5D-66207-p.jpg

The cherry shape is the one the Lactation consultants recommended to me, and the one my baby took the easiest. But I would say trial and error. Get two of each, maybe in different sizes.

She won't touch the ortho or cherry ones, tried every brand going. Not seen a symmetric one before. I see Dr. Brown's do a bottle type one, but doesn't seem to be available in Ireland unless you order off their website at £10 delivery :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Try MAM for a symmetrical one. I gave my son MAM bottles and I had the opposite problem, he got angry that the shape was the same as the bottle and would get frustrated that there was no food so had to switch to NUK orthodontic

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I did not know they had names. My fella likes the symmetrical ones. They are tommee tippee ones. He won't touch any others.

Try MAM for a symmetrical one. I gave my son MAM bottles and I had the opposite problem, he got angry that the shape was the same as the bottle and would get frustrated that there was no food so had to switch to NUK orthodontic

Got a symmetrical one in Boots, no joy. Chewed on it for 2 minutes and then threw it away :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I have the same problem. My little one is only a month old and breastfed but due to issues feeding I use a nipple shield and can't wean her off it. It's not too bad because it means she will take a bottle no problem but it means that Mammy is the soother and I can't have her hanging off my nipple every time she wants a bit of comfort- I dislike falling asleep breastfeeding because of the dangers and it happens all the time. I have tried the Nuk and the tommee tippee- the tommee tippee one is the closest shape to the shield and she can't seem to even keep it in her mouth for a second. Would love some advice too. Someone told me some babies just never take them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Beanybabog, my lo is nearly 5 months old. Iv been using shield's since she was a day old. I thought the same as you about taking a bottle. And she did take them no problem whenever we had to give her one up till she was 10 weeks old when all of a sudden she refused point blank to take one - she's a very determined lady! She was 17/18 weeks when I eventually got her back on them. I regret not giving her a bottle semi regularly as part of her routine. I need to be away for a few hours once a week around bedtime and it was hard trying to feed her enough before I left so that she wouldn't have a melt down on her Dad.

I haven't given my lo a soother yet, so I'm no help in that regard, but I have found that she's got better as she's got older for not wanting to have comfort feeds as often. These days it's mainly if she's particularly fussy with her teeth or in the evening when she's tired but not tired enough to fall asleep. But she is my first so at the moment I do have the time to sit and let her have a comfort feed whenever she needs it. She did go through a phase where she wanted boob everytime she had the slightest whinge and that was so hard, so I now try wait till she needs one properly.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I have the same problem. My little one is only a month old and breastfed but due to issues feeding I use a nipple shield and can't wean her off it. It's not too bad because it means she will take a bottle no problem but it means that Mammy is the soother and I can't have her hanging off my nipple every time she wants a bit of comfort- I dislike falling asleep breastfeeding because of the dangers and it happens all the time. I have tried the Nuk and the tommee tippee- the tommee tippee one is the closest shape to the shield and she can't seem to even keep it in her mouth for a second. Would love some advice too. Someone told me some babies just never take them??

Yeah I did hear that some babies aren't just fussed about a soother and I'd be totally fine with that if I could figure out an alternative to get her off the bottle. She's always been very clingy with me and was breastfed until a nasty infection stopped me and I think she learned to associate the bottle with comfort in place of the boob :o Unfortunately it's meaning she's waking up every 2 hours screaming and will only settle with a bottle. Tried putting water in it instead of milk and she'll drink every ounce and go back to sleep while still sucking the bottle. It's so weird!

Stretching here, but are they the big sizes you are trying? If she's a year the small ones will defo be rejected.

Might be rejected anyway, maybe she is just past that stage where they take them, or might be a baby with no interest.. but if you have been getting newborn ones, try biggest size yu can find.

Stretching here, but are they the big sizes you are trying? If she's a year the small ones will defo be rejected.

Might be rejected anyway, maybe she is just past that stage where they take them, or might be a baby with no interest.. but if you have been getting newborn ones, try biggest size yu can find.

Yeah, we've tried both. Our 2.5 year old adores hers and she has the bigger ones. She's even tried to show and explain to her sister how they work. Don't know how I'm going to get her to stop sucking on the empty bottle :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Check the American Soothie brand. My daughter has a wubbanub which is a small teddy with a soothie attached and she loves it. She only has it in bed and the teddy means it is easy for her to locate and replace rather than waking us up when it falls out.

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Yeah, we've tried both. Our 2.5 year old adores hers and she has the bigger ones. She's even tried to show and explain to her sister how they work. Don't know how I'm going to get her to stop sucking on the empty bottle :(
    I know, but at least it's the bottle which hopefully won't last til she's ten. I gave mine the soother to stop her sucking her thumb originally. 
    Everytime I take the dummy off her now (she's two) she goes straight back to the thumb, and if she's not sucking that she is grinding her teeth. It's wrecking my head. All I can see is orthodontic treatment in her future!

I know, but at least it's the bottle which hopefully won't last til she's ten. I gave mine the soother to stop her sucking her thumb originally. 
    Everytime I take the dummy off her now (she's two) she goes straight back to the thumb, and if she's not sucking that she is grinding her teeth. It's wrecking my head. All I can see is orthodontic treatment in her future!

Both of mine grind their teeth like its an Olympic sport and if my teeth are anything to go by (I grew two sets of adult teeth at the same time), I'd say the poor darlings will be getting braces regardless!

Advertisement