Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 03-01-2017 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In a nutshell,I, just like the rest of Irish motorists am currently being screwed by my car insurance company. In may 2015 I had a claim made against my policy for a small accident.this accident was minor ,occured on a narrow slippery road on a very wet day and there were no injuries. I proposed avoiding going through insurance. However the other driver decided to chance his arm and made a claim against my policy.this process dragged on and on for 18 months and was finally settled in court on a "without prejudice" basis meaning neither party gained much more than losing our no claims bonus. I recently got my premium qoute and nearly passed out when I realised it was €2,7500!!!My (50% no claims bonus )premium last year was about €800(a rise in about €300 euro from the previous year! My insurer maintains that the rise this year is due to me having 0 years no claims discount. They also said that they "generously allowed" me my 50% bonus last January as the claim was still open and wasn't settled until June 2016.

My question is :Am I ****ed in this situation or can I appeal for my 1 year no claims certificate!?The accident happened in may 2015 and my current renewal premium begins at the end of January 2017 meaning that I have technically been claim-free under my policy for 18 months or at the very least I have been claim free since my renewal last January.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Happy new year to me. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Montschlag wrote: »
    In a nutshell,I, just like the rest of Irish motorists am currently being screwed by my car insurance company. In may 2015 I had a claim made against my policy for a small accident.this accident was minor ,occured on a narrow slippery road on a very wet day and there were no injuries. I proposed avoiding going through insurance. However the other driver decided to chance his arm and made a claim against my policy.this process dragged on and on for 18 months and was finally settled in court on a "without prejudice" basis meaning neither party gained much more than losing our no claims bonus. I recently got my premium qoute and nearly passed out when I realised it was €2,7500!!!My (50% no claims bonus )premium last year was about €800(a rise in about €300 euro from the previous year! My insurer maintains that the rise this year is due to me having 0 years no claims discount. They also said that they "generously allowed" me my 50% bonus last January as the claim was still open and wasn't settled until June 2016.

My question is :Am I ****ed in this situation or can I appeal for my 1 year no claims certificate!?The accident happened in may 2015 and my current renewal premium begins at the end of January 2017 meaning that I have technically been claim-free under my policy for 18 months or at the very least I have been claim free since my renewal last January.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Happy new year to me. :(

How precisely did your insurer screw you?

Were they driving your car at the time of the accident?

Did they make the other party lodge a claim against you?

Did they tell you not to purchase bonus protection?

They have obviously made a payment on your policy to the other party.

As a result of which you lost your full bonus.

You have had a policy for 12 months and been claims free for that year so are entitled to a 1 year bonus.

It could be an oversight on their side ie they cannot doubly penalise you.

Ring them today and tell them you are entitled to one year bonus for the 1 year claims free driving you have earned from January 16 to January 17.

Advertisement