Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Road Race Scene

Options
  • 03-01-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out how this works as could be over there for a few days visiting relatives later in the year and like the idea of trying a race.

See there is a calendar of sorts at:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/20161213-scottish-cycling-news-Scottish-Cycling-2017-Provisional-Calendar-0

An explanation of grade and race categories is at

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roadst_Road-Categories_Classifications?c=SX

Few questions

- Am I correct in presuming that A3 and 3rd Category are viewed equivalently by the respective organisations ? And do the levels equate
    well or could I be in for even more of an ass kicking than you sometimes get here ?

- If I could do a race is it Regional A and Regional B I should be looking at ? Regional C/C+ looks like crits which I'm not interested in. ?

- How would I enter a race there. They talk about entry through a portal on the web pages but I presume you need British Cycling membership to get access to this ?

- From a CI perspective would I need anything extra on the license to even have a chance of trying a race over there ?

- Is there the equivalent of a boards.ie cycling forum for Scotland where I can ask questions and get generally helpful answers ?

Realize most here may be as clueless as me regarding the scene across the water but if anybody is in the know would appreciate some answers.

Thanks Paul.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't know too much about what you need to do with BC but your CI licence can be upgraded for €20 to give you international clearance to race (you need to upload a passport style photo on the CI website and your licence will be issued with that photo). You then should request a letter from CI confirming insurance cover for specific events. That's the way I've done it when taking part in the World Track Masters in Manchester and indeed the GBR track Masters which are entirely under the remit of BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't know too much about what you need to do with BC but your CI licence can be upgraded for €20 to give you international clearance to race (you need to upload a passport style photo on the CI website and your licence will be issued with that photo). You then should request a letter from CI confirming insurance cover for specific events. That's the way I've done it when taking part in the World Track Masters in Manchester and indeed the GBR track Masters which are entirely under the remit of BC.

Thanks for that Beasty, I presume that issuing these letters is standard for CI and just needs an email sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

Do you use Twitter ? I can put you in contact with a few people I know who race over there - they might be able to help fill in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Sent a PM

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for that Beasty, I presume that issuing these letters is standard for CI and just needs an email sent in.
    Yes - they did 3 for me for track racing last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Raced in Netherlands and can confirm what Beasty said. Letter was sorted for me by another party so no idea how long it takes

Be prepared for odd reactions at sign on here though when you have a photo on your licence. I got a few comments.

Be prepared for odd reactions at sign on here though when you have a photo on your licence. I got a few comments.
    I just tell them I'm Beasty from Boards and they soon shut up - telling them you're Harry Belafonte may raise a few eyebrows though

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm taking a sun holiday this year so, wait til you see me properly tanned. I also used to sing in a choir, so I thing I could give Shake Shake Senora a go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I just tell them I'm Beasty from Boards and they soon shut up - telling them you're Harry Belafonte may raise a few eyebrows though

:pac:

Problem is "our" Harry doesn't look that youthful......

• Advertisement
Advertisement