Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the name of deceased acct holder to cohabiting survivor without paying by DD

Options
  • 03-01-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

The account holder, who was elderly, has  just passed away.  The account was in this persons name for almost 70 years and the bill was always paid on time in the post office. 
     The account holder lived with myself, who is her 86 year old sister and I am now the sole survivor and am now solely responsible for paying the bill (I was the one who paid the bill for my sister with many years anyway).
    Obviously I have to put the bill into my name now, I need to do this so that I can receive the €35 per month from the state's household benefits package anyway.  
    The problem is that I don't  have a bank account and therefore cannot set up direct debit and I don't think that I should be responsible for paying a €300 security deposit either, because I simply can't afford to.
    Can the bill just be transferred into my name and I continue to pay it in the post office as I always did without having to fork out a €300 deposit which I don't have?
    Is there another way around this.  My deceased sister and myself have lived together in this same house with almost 70 years and have been paying the electricity bill together even though it was in her name alone.
    Please do not make this stressful time of her passing, more stressful for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi bredacq,

Thank you for getting in touch, and we wish to extend our deepest sympathies.

We would like to assist you as best we can. If you send us a private message confirming the relevant property's MPRN (meter point reference number), the address, telephone number on the account, and the name of your late sister, as well as your own name in full, we will assist you ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement