Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to new SPD-sl shoes, bike fit and knees

Options
  • 03-01-2017 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not looking for medical advice, i'm just looking for peoples experience when they have changed cycling shoes.

I got new shoes (moved from Shimano to Fizik) , fitted the cleats near identical to the old shoes as far as my eye can tell, maybe 1mm further forward than my Shimano shoe due to the position of the 3 screw holes restricting more backward direction on the Fizik, however the shoe fits perfectly to my foot.

I've been out on a couple of cycles and i've had very sore knees afterwards (front of both knees). I have had a professional bike fit on that bike but with the old shoes.

Would it be normal that you may have to change the saddle height to account for different shoes? The sole could be thicker for example.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The shoes are different, so putting the cleats in the same position sounds wrong to me.

When I get new shoes, I put the cleats on, then I put my bike in a turbo trainer and adjust them until the pedalling action "feels" correct.

I don't use the old shoe/cleat setup as a guide for the new shoe/cleat setup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The shoes are different, so putting the cleats in the same position sounds wrong to me.

When I get new shoes, I put the cleats on, then I put my bike in a turbo trainer and adjust them until the pedalling action "feels" correct.

I don't use the old shoe/cleat setup as a guide for the new shoe/cleat setup

Yeah I probably should have added that I did check the basics like were the knuckle of my toe is and aligned the cleat that the ball of the foot is just over the pedal axel. However you are right, i probably need to do more tweaking and I might have to buy a turbo now!

Do you still have your old shoes? If you do, use them and make a mental note of how they feel while you are cycling...

E.g. Do your toes touch the front of your shoe?
    What part of your feet are in contact with the inside of your shoes?

When your pedalling, where are the pressure points?

Then try to replicate this feeling with your new shoes.
    (I know I'm making this sound more complicated than it is, but this works for me)

If you don't have a turbo, just go for a short cycle and bring a multitool and adjust the cleats as you go.

Just came across this:

http://spr.ly/61878OuEh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I should probably do some legs exercises anyway. I'll have to play around with the cleats and saddle height later. I probably need to be alittle more patient when adjusting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Not to hijack.....somewhat related.....anyone know any good strengthening exercises for VMO?

Advertisement